1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

What to look for in a Ljutic?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by FIB, Jul 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FIB

FIB Member

I've been contemplating purchasing a used Ljutic (I've always wanted one) but don't really know what I should look for and expect to pay. I've seen several Mono-guns in my price range but I don't know what serial numbers are better than others. Can you guys educate me? I'm not in the position to purchase one right now so please no offers at this time (unless you want to make me one heck of a deal :)). Regards, Randy Price

2. SPACE GUN

SPACE GUN Member

Make sure the gun is tight, there should be no play anywhere. check the forearm make sure it is tight and snaps on with forcing it (my ljutic had the screws come loose that are put in from under the forearm then pluged with wood and finished over) Not cheap or easy to fix. Also check the rib, it mounts om post and my rib came loose and had to be repaired. The blueing is not the best on Ljutic's and will show wear. All of this said probably the best gun made. If they only made a combo. I own #637 1971 I do not think you can go wrong but be picky and buy one that you don't need to put money in. My brother in-law has one he wants to sell that was gone over a couple of years ago by Ljutic and hasn't been shot much at all. His is newer than mine #2425 (close)has the hooded reciever and two stocks. If you have any interest e-mail me and I will hook you up. We live close to Columbus,Ohio and will be at the cardinal classic. Just a guess but I think $2,000 give or or take would buy it.

3. ColtM1911A1

ColtM1911A1 Member

If you find one you truly like and are close to putting real money toward the purchase, contact Nadine @ Ljutic and she will provide you with a short history of the gun. It's nice to know where it had traveled after being made. But please, please do not overuse this service or she might just stop offering. Other companies, I should say most, won't provide this customer service. Again, don't abuse the service...

Do not worry about age as you would with a run-of-the-mill shotgun. Even more so than the top-of-the-line shotguns (Perazzi, Kreighoff, etc.), the Ljutic is built to last many decades. The first used one I bought was a early 1970's X-73 which I still shoot and is one of my all-time favorite shooters; it can pound out top scores wherever it goes. After many thousands of rounds, the X-73 has never required a part because of failure. I, however, have replaced springs just because I thought I should do something for this magnificent and well-built SBT shotgun. I do believe in preventative maintainence...

Unless for some odd reason you cannot fit the Ljutic to your body shape (unlikely), you will not
    regret your decision; you'll probably kick yourself for not buying one earlier. Needless to say, I am
    a big advocate for Ljutic shotguns. And why not. They are American made, machined by true
    craftsman, designed by an excellent and almost genius engineer, and perform and exceed all
    expectations I could imagine.

That's it from here. In summary, I like Ljutics, I shoot Ljutics for singles and handicap; the only shotgun that will go with me to registered shoots beside my two (2) Ljutics (X-73 & Mono-Gun) is a Perazzi MX3 Combo that will be used to shoot doubles. I will never need any more shotguns for league or registered shoots.....Cya

4. pdq

pdq Member

Etremely well made guns -- no major flaws. Just make sure the gun is in solid condition, well cared for, no noticeable play, never been modified, etc. The exact same sorts of things you'd check out with any gun. Used prices are very reasonable -- you get a ton of gun for the money. As stated, Nadine can give you the specs from when the gun was built -- very nice lady.

There is one draw back to buying a Ljutic. You can't turn around 10 years later and tell people you have to buy a new gun because you wore out your Ljutic. With even half decent care I don't think it's ever happened. But you could still tell people that's why. :)))

Pete

5. birdtracker

birdtracker Active Member

you definitly need to find out what rib fits you. There is 3 in the mono series. Flat, Mid, and Olympic. It depends on how tall of a neck you have. Also take the forearm off and look at the lugs that the adjuster goes thru. Make sure those wood blocks are not cracked. There is allen headed bolts in there to tighten up the forearm. Happy shopping! Birdtracker

6. WIN12 MAN

WIN12 MAN TS Member

Ljutic <> built like tanks .. shooters will need more
    service then Ljutic's ever will .. last forever /

Win

7. luvtrapguns

luvtrapguns Well-Known Member

There has been much discussion about hooded vs non hooded guns. There is very little difference between the two. As a matter of fact, the hood can be machined off and the barrel then fitted to an older non hooded gun. Most all internal parts in the trigger and receiver are the same. Best buy in a trap gun would be a non hooded older gun. For some unexplained reason many feel that the hooded barrel is superior. SIMPLY NOT TRUE. I have both types and with the gun closed you can not tell the difference. Marc

8. luvtrapguns

luvtrapguns Well-Known Member

The bluing does not rub off. Ljutic uses the same bluing chemicals as many other mfgs. Ljutic puts a very fine blasted finish on their guns. This makes for very fine high and low spots, much like looking at 1000 grit sandpaper. When handled over time the bluing wears off the high spots creating a worn look more easily than if it had been highly polished. Marc

9. frostyman

frostyman Well-Known Member

I agree with the above posts. Make sure the gun is tight because replacing the hinge pin can be expensive but also Phillip's Gunsmithing can tighten one up for not much money. Also don't try to switch a trigger over from release to pull or vice versa (just buy another trigger and sell or keep or other one). As for price you can get them anywhere from $1500 (real cheap) to $5000+. Most of the recent ones with nice wood and adjustable stock will be in the 3000 - 4000 range. A reblue by Ljutic is only about $300 (Phillips also does them) (try to have Perazzi do one for that).

I have had 4 Ljutics and have broken 1 firing pin ($35 and takes 2 minutes to install one) and replaced 2 pins in the trigger which are about $5 a piece.

Extra stocks are also cheap.

10. Duck Head

Duck Head TS Member

If it's used grab it by the side of the reciever and shake it sideways with the barrel pointing up, towards you and away from you. If it is loose you will feel it clunk in each direction. A non hooded Lunatic can spit powder gas out of the breech even with intact casings. Mine does both but with maybe 500k shells so what!It's a 1974 Monogun.They only had one type of rib then.Better built than my MX8 of 1975 vintage that's history.God Bless Al Ljutic!

11. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Well, Randy Have they convinced you? If not, try mine again. Jim

12. docbombay

docbombay Well known trouble maker

Randy, I am fortunate to own the very first Mono Gun produced in Washington. It is serial number 23.

It was produced in 1965.

It is flawless and as tight as the day it was built. Crushes targets from 16 or the 27.

If you like the fit and feel of a Mono Gun, there probably is no better pre-owned gun available and they are absolute bargains.

I shoot a KS-5 Special with a very high rib as my go to gun. But if I could only own one trap gun for the rest of my life, it would be a Mono Gun.

Doc

13. FIB

FIB Member

Thanks everyone for their comments. I'm leaning toward purchasing one but based on everyone's replies it would be best to handle one prior to shooting it. I'll keep my eyes open when I'm ready. Thanks again, Randy Price

14. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

I just sold a Ljutic Mono gun, 2 barrel set that was bought in 1975 at the Grand in Vandalia, Ohio ... The 16 yard barrel has the "Herb Orre Super 16 choke" in it and the handicap barrel is the original Ljutic choke from back in the good old days ... I was told this gun was the first gun to run the 27 yard handicap targets at the Illinois State shoot way back then (by the previous owner) ... The gun had been redone by Ljutic and put away in the safe, looked like it had never been shot ... If there was any one thing I would of done with the gun it would be put an adjustable comb on it and shoot it ... The thing about a Ljutic is you have to retrain yourself and adjust to the lock time because they are so fast ... The gun has 7 moving parts in it so there isn't a hell of a lot to wear out ... I will probably kick myself for not keeping it but it went to a good home and I made a friend ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

15. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Great post. I just like Randy have always wanted one and this gives me some insight

16. Ljutic111

Ljutic111 TS Member

5 years ago I sent my old #111 back for service and a rebluing but I didn`t like what they did so I sent it back for another bluing job . That too didn`t last long before it started wearing away . This was right after or during their first new partner took over . I was going to send it back in but thought against it and will just think about what they did . Otherwise I am very happy with my Ljutic and have talked 4 others into getting them -- 2 new and 2 used . All are very happy with their choice .

17. glenn mcleod

glenn mcleod Member

I own 4 Ljutics 3 Dynokics and 1 mono, I shoot the Dynokic and prefer the balance (it's butt heavy). Never have needed the backups. If only everything was as well built. The last gem I bought was a top of the line Maytag washer lasted 1 year and needed a $300 repair. Buy a Ljutic.

18. joe90t

joe90t Active Member

As "Doc" Said They Are The Best Buy For The Money And I Own #21 That Was the Last Ljutic built At Reno,NV before The Plant Burned Down. This Gun was Built For Lt. Colonel "Hank" Copsey A "Gentleman" Trapshooter And All Around Great Person & Shooter. Just As Tight Today As When It Was Brand New. Joe W.

19. Beni

Beni Member

If your lucky eneough like me to shoot one before you buy it great. I was totally amazed with the trigger and how it smoked targets, so I bought one. My Mono gun has just as great a trigger is very balanced and allows me to push to the bird very easy,and really crushes targets. good luck beni

20. SPACE GUN

SPACE GUN Member

I forgot to mention, I had my reciever nitrate finished by Stu Wright. Stops the problem with the bluing wear.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
forearm loose on my ljutic
ljutic dynokic shotgun sprcs
ljutic dynokic specifications

ljutic shotguns in the southern hemisphere

should i buy a ljutic
vintage ljutic try nstock
what is a ljutic mono gun hooded model