1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

What to do?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by droptine, Jun 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. droptine

droptine TS Member

I bought a TMX almost a year ago and I really love almost everything about it. I love the way it swings, the rib height...blah, blah blah. I just like looking at it. It has raised my single average almost a bird and a half to 95. The only problem is it only has 21 thousands constriction...breaks birds great at the 16 and the 22 which is where I currently am. I know I am going to eventually need some more choke. My question is...who would you send it to to have it tubed? It won't be able to have the extra long type tubes because it was Seitz style ported rather close to the end of the barrel...just 2 1/4 inches. Thanks

EW

2. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

Have you measured the bore diameter?

3. Rick Barker

Rick Barker Well-Known Member

I don't know if the TMX is thin walled like my TM1, but my old Ithaca stamped gun has a ported barrel and chokes by Briley and it works just fine.

Have you patterend the barrel at 40 yards?

Might want to do that first, I never did take for granted a choke performs as marked, I have seen full chokes shoot improved modified and modified shoot full.

4. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

I had a seitz ported mx barrel that had briley long choke tubes that covered some of the porting. never had a problem with that...

5. droptine

droptine TS Member

Yes, bore is .740. Have not patterned it yet at 40 yds.

thanks,
    EW

6. KRK32

KRK32 Member

I had a k80 trap special between the bore and choke there was .016 restriction it would break them as good as anything my hdcp is the 27 and i never worried about not having enough choke when i walk up to the line it seems to me most people shoot to much choke anyways save your money and shoot it youll be surprised.

7. Rick Barker

Rick Barker Well-Known Member

Ditto's to what KRK32 said. I can remember when trap shooters did not have the option of removable choke tubes and shot the same barrel for all 16's and yardages. Now I think it causes one more thing to wrap your mind around when your trying to bust birds.

8. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

If possible, set a trap machine to throw staight away targets and stand on post 3 and shoot targets at 16, 20, 24 and 27 yards. The longest yardage that you can smoke the targets will be the limit of your choke. This is effectively a pattern test with a few field conditions thrown in.

What ever you learn from this excercise will help you make a decision about if and when more choke will be necessary. The straight away excercise is also a good way to 'sight in' your shotgun.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.