1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

What to do?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Jollytrapshooter, Apr 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jollytrapshooter

Jollytrapshooter Member

Hey, I am a junior shooter (as some of you know) and this year will be my first year of shooting in the ATA. Over the winter, I've been thinking about what I should do for a new trap gun, I have an old Ithaca SBT that I shot all last year, but it's old and has been giving me some trigger problems lately. I've been considering a newer BT-99, I haven't heard much anything bad about them, plus, the way that they feel to me is almost identical to my Ithaca. But, I also want to shoot doubles this year, and will need a gun for that, either I don't shoot doubles, or, find a different gun that would work well for both singles and doubles. Any suggestions? Thanks.

-Jollytrapshooter

2. Paul09

Paul09 TS Member

how ya doin. im also a junior shooter. i used to shoot a bt-100, and it shot great. im currently shooting a ljutic. you'll hear how great a gun is, and then you go shoot it, and you drop several. so basically, go to a local club and shoot different guns and see what you like so you can get an idea. thats what i did. all people have their own opinions. so try that so you can see what you like

3. Sam (ATA Noobie)

Sam (ATA Noobie) Member

I was in your position a few years ago.

Started with a 686S, then upgraded to a 686E Sporting, shot with a borrowed bt-99 really pretty well, broke my first 25-straight with it. Tried a 391, KS-5, Tm-1, and ended up with a K-32.

The bt-99 was great for trap, but would require you to buy a seperate gun. A better solution is an older 682 combo, or even an O/U with 30 or 32" barrels. I use mine for skeet, trap, and sporting.

4. sglfr45

sglfr45 TS Member

I have a newer BT99 for sale. Email me if interested.

5. bigclown

bigclown TS Member

Get a good, used over/under...Beretta or Browning. Ed

6. Sam (ATA Noobie)

Sam (ATA Noobie) Member

682 (not a newer 682E)

Sounds like it might be ideal. You can find barrels for them everywhere, stocks, etc.

Also, shoot a browning and beretta o/u. They have very different feels to them. The lockup system on the browning, as well as the enlarged palm swell drove me to Beretta.

7. Jollytrapshooter

Jollytrapshooter Member

Thanks for the offer sglfr45, but I don't really have the money for a BT-99 right now, this summer when I'm back to working I plan on saving up for one. Thanks for the responses everyone.

-Jollytrapshooter

P.S.- I also happen to be a "south paw" shooter...

8. Jollytrapshooter

Jollytrapshooter Member

9. Jollytrapshooter

Jollytrapshooter Member

I was thinking of maybe buying a newer over-under that I would be able find a single barrel for. Then, I could shoot the over-under for now, and in the future (when I get the money), I could buy a single barrel for it and make it a combo. Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks.

-Jollytrapshooter

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.