1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

What to do?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by phirel, Nov 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. phirel

phirel TS Member

Several times each year everyone on this thread mounts his gun and discoverers that a fly has perched on the rib. The common action is to lower the gun, open it if it has a release trigger, swing your arm in often a futile attempt to chase the fly away and remount. We have to do this several times on some occasions. Our concentration is totally lost. Flying insects have cost us a few birds.

My well known, perhaps infamous coach Earl advised me last Spring to not be bothered by such minor distractions as a fly on the rib. Just be aware that I have to concentrate a little harder to make the shot with a fly on the rib. I did shoot several birds last year with a fly on the rib and discovered that if I would not let the fly cause me to miss, I would not miss.

How do others handle this problem. The problem may sound humerus to unexperienced shooters, but it is a real problem.

Pat Ireland

2. Ron Frazier

Ron Frazier TS Member

Pat,
    I have learned to ignore the fly and have added some lead in my stock to correct the balance issue.

3. rooferbob

rooferbob Active Member

Pat I think it is a mind set issue. If you are really into the targets you dont't pay any attention to the fly or maybe not even see it. I have missed several targets due to flies and bees and even the occasional dragonfly who seems to stop right in front of me half way to the house when I'm ready to shoot! When you figure it out let us all know. Thanks Rooferbob!

4. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

mourning doves are my worse distraction. I immediately think of bacon and "3 cheese dressing". No problems w/ flys....unless I leave it open, then the breeze is distracting.

5. lumper

lumper TS Member

Um ... uh ... if your concentrating on what your doing you should not even be aware of some little ole fly. I think you have a concentration problem Pat and need to go back to the basics and start all over again.

Geez ... ya cant really be serious can ya? There are those out there that have been bothered and used the excuse of a fly on there barrel for missing a target? That is just hilarious ... thanks for the Friday morning funny Pat.

6. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

Maybe you could invent the first battery powered bug zapping rib. You could install the button at the end of the forearm and when the pesky critters land, just hit the juice, Zzzzzaaaappp!

7. lumper

lumper TS Member

Come on now ... instead of excuses of having a fly on your rib people will be using the excuse of missing the target due to a smoking singed dead fly on the rib.

Well at least that could be a new excuse ... what size battery do you think would be the best? 9volt? 6volt? 12volt car battery? Its gotta be strong enough to zap em and smoke em ya know.

8. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

A few of the colorful characters I've known over the years would eventually get around to testing your concentration skills on clays. They would smear honey on the rib and wiping it off leaving a sweet film guaranteed to attract any flying creature in the neighborhood! Pat, wanna make yer barrel concentration skills a lil sweeter? :) Hap

9. jakearoo

jakearoo Active Member

Lumper, My friend Ronnie Christensen once told me "No matter what excuse you have for a miss, its not new. Someone has used it before." Well, dang. I think you are right. "I missed because there was a dead, smoking, sizzling fly on my rib." is going to be a new one.

And Pat, You have several times alluded to your "infamous" coach. Now you tell us it is Earl. Infamous indeed. I have seen him shoot. Amazing. I have also heard many very good things about him.

Regards, Jake

10. ric3677

ric3677 Well-Known Member

Pat,

-6 here today.......not one fly out there. come on up...Rickyd

11. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Try a light swab of Avon Skin So Soft on the rib. This stuff is not marketed as an insect repellant but it does work on keeping flys and gnats away. Yes ... I actually do this and no it probably isn't good for the gun but I haven't seen any problems with the finish on the rib. .

12. lumper

lumper TS Member

Wolfram ... your one of those shooters that makes shooting so much fun. To think that there is someone out there who puts bug repellent type products on there gun to keep bugs off the rib while shooting is just about as funny as Ricky Bobby in Talladega Nights running around on the track in his underwear yelling and screaming that he is on fire and hes burning ... yep ... almost as hilariously funny as that.

13. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Not sure I get the analogy Lumper, maybe too early for such twisted thought. Glad to give you a chuckle or a ambush site though.

14. canada

canada Member

In manitoba and north dakota, we get bugs. At the zone in Bismarck there were tiny little bugs everywhere that seemed to like to just land on you and bother you. If they were constant like they were that day, and always a problem, i can shoot through it. Another example is rain on the barrel, if you wipe it off the next drop will glisten once it hits your barrel anyways.

Flies or bees or something, on the other hand, i always always always swat away. I dont know how you can tell yourself not to look at the fly, and still focus on the target. If you're thinking "dont look at the fly" you're introducing a thought in your head.

Its also kind of like the "Dont touch, wet paint" sign. well there sure is a temptation to touch it, just to make sure it is actually wet. You will probably look at that fly is what i'm saying.

15. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

When I first started shooting, my instructor actually accused me of bead checking and stopping the gun. Not long after, I was talking to one of the top international sporting clays shooters in the Beretta booth at the Shot Show and I asked him about bead checking and he said he took the beads off his guns. That made sense, no bead, no check. So, I took the beads off my gun and, literally, haven't looked back since.

Consequently, it is particulary disturbing when gnats, fly, insects, small birds, etc land on my barren rib. Can't have it, won't tolerate it. So, what I do is while holding the release trigger with my right hand, I reach out with my left hand and bend just one of the wingtips of the fly so that they go into a dreaded aeronautical flat spin and crash at my feet. This makes them easy to step on.

16. phirel

phirel TS Member

Jake- Yes, I do pay close attention to the information given to me by Earl. Earl is many things, including an excellent coach.

zarathrusta- Most shooters treat the fly on the rib problem as you do. But, could it be possible that the distraction or remounting might be worse than just going ahead and shooting with the fly on the rib? It is not uncommon to remount the gun 2-3 times with the fly returning each time and then we just give up and shoot. Would just shooting the first time with the fly on the rib be better than remounting three times ans then shooting with the fly on the rib? I do not know.

Pat Ireland

17. code5coupe

code5coupe Member

I usually ask the shooter to my immediate right if he would blast the fly off my barrel with a light load of #8's. Seven-and-a-halfs just don't work as well.

18. Little Limber

Little Limber TS Member

Pat, at times like these it is helpful to try and remember the truth: there is no fly.

LL

19. Frenchy

Frenchy Member

Your sense of humor is inlighting and well received.We all have to deal with flies on the end of our barrels,its part of life.Some people just reconize it as a fly and work through it and others just can't figure it out at all.

20. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

I wait until the fly walks down to the end and peaks down into the barrel. Call for the target and let him watch the 8's come at him at 1200fps. Payback.

Don

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.