1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

What to do?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by PhilG, Aug 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PhilG

PhilG TS Member

Like i said in a earlier post i just started shooting trap and really enjoy it. So, like everything else i start i research as much as possible and try to gain some knowledge of the sport. I visited the ATA website and saw that membership begins september thru august. After reading the rule book which was like reading a foreign language, i saw something like needing a 1000 targets to compete in tournaments.
    I would like to go to shoots and participate in the different events even though right now i can barely hit a bird.. I may get better through the fall and winter and may feel more comfortable by next year. So my question is should i join the ATA and shoot some registered targets throughout the fall or wait? Being new all of this is very confusing so any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks to all Phil G

2. Russ-in-Pa

Russ-in-Pa Well-Known Member

First of all, WELCOME !!

Join and shoot as much as you want. Your scores will improve, and shooting in even small local competitions will improve scores faster than practice night at the local club.

When you are at a shoot, watch the better shooters, and learn from their actions and movements.

Don't worry that some or even most of the others will beat your first few scores. For the most part a trapshoot is a judgement-free zone. Regardless of how it looks, nobody was a great shot their first few times out.

Most of all - Have Fun shooting, and make a few new friends along the way.

3. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

As per Russ-in-Pa, Welcome- shoot as much as you can, ask questions almost everybody will be happy to help you learn the "ropes, watch other shooters, try as many different guns as you can, don't spend a lot of money on equip. just yet, a lot of good shooters use 870s--1100s--BT99s etc., main thing have FUN, after you have sort of gotten comfortable with the rules then is the time to start shooting registered targets, don't get discouraged if you miss a few, shooting is like learning to roller skate or ride a bicycle you fall & scratch your knees a few times then one day everything just kinda falls into place and off you go. ENJOY --Ross Puls

4. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

The 1000 targets are needed at some of the large shoots such as the Grand. Most smaller shoots have no minimums. Alot of larger shoots only require 500 of each discipline. As long as your dues are paid you can always shoot. If you do not have the minimum targets such as the 1000 stated for the Grand, you will be penalized up in class and moved back further in yardage. You will still be able to shoot. Good luck and welcome to one of the most adictive sports i know.

5. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

HI Phil Welcome to TS.com's website. It really makes no sense to wait if you want to join the ATA. They have classes for shooters from the beginner to expert and everything inbetween. This way you can start working on your min. target requirements at the end of this month. I'd just shoot at your smaller local clubs until you feel ready to shoot at some bigger clubs (or shoots). I'd try singles and handicap and try some doubles from time to time for fun at first. I'd stick with singles and handicap for a year before you try working on the doubles to much. You'll know when its time. Now when shooting do try to borrow and try different guns to see which one's you like. You'll know the one when it just feels like a extention of your arm and body as it were. Take it slow and just enjoy your journey. Break-em all Jeff