1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

What to do with used MEC Grabber from eBay???

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Mr. D, Sep 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mr. D

Mr. D Member

Hi all

I picked up what I thought was a working MEC Grabber model# 761R but as luck would have it I think I got screwed in the deal. 10 plus years ebaying and only a couple bad deals and this seems to be one of them.

Anyway I paid $185 plus shipping thinking all I needed was the primer feeder assy but also discovered it had a broken resizer collet and missing primmer guide post assy. There is also a few other low cost items that need attention but do not effect the operation of the press.

So option 1, I'm looking at roghly $126 in needed parts and $47.00 in nice to have replacement parts to bring this unit up to speed / looking nice and at that point will have about the cost of a new machine in this unknown used one.

Option 2, dump this machine and re-eBay it for parts and get about half my money back (just like a divorce) than buy a new machine.

Seems like option 1 is the way to go but who knows what other problems I might run into and option 2 gives me a new machine.

What would you "in the know" reloaders do?

Dennis

2. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

If the person selling has any feedback at all, ask them to refund your $$. If they misrepresented it, they should have no problem with you returning it

3. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

If you can't get any recourse from the seller, file a complaint on e-bay against him. Then, send the reloader directly to MEC and have them go through it from top to bottom. In the end, you will have a reloader that you KNOW is just as you want it and you can enjoy many years using it... Life is just too short to worry about the differnce of $20-$30, one way or the other. What you would lose parting it out will help pay for the loader to be re-furbished. "Stuff" happens, and this one just happened to you. We all have it happen once in a while..... Dan Thome (Trap2)

4. birddog1964

birddog1964 TS Member

I HAVE A LOT OF MEC PARTS IF YOU WILLING TO REPAIR THAT ONE AND I HAVE A 762R THAT I'M GOING THROUGH IT THIS TIME IF ARE GOING TO RETURN YOURS.

THANKS
    LEE

5. Baber

Baber TS Member

I have been stung so many time on EBay that I have stopped looking. The best one was the guy who advertised that he had a stock that would fit a DB81.... It was a Skeet Stock. Yes ... it would fit but workable.... not. Would not take it back unless I gave him a "Glowing" feedback. Sold the stock on Gunsamerica and gave the guy the proper feedback. Ever since I avoid that system like the plague.

TB

6. straightshooter1

straightshooter1 Well-Known Member TS Supporters

You may indeed have been cheated by the Seller.

OTOH, I have bought reloaders and other items on Ebay where the Seller stated he knew nothing about them, had bought them at an estate, etc. and, if something similar is the case, then I don't think the Seller is at fault.

It depends on how the item was described.

I note you said you "thought" it was working and you were "thinking" all it needed was....

Did the Seller tell you that, suggest it was working and just needed a primer feed assembly or were you assuming that based on a photo?

If he deliberately lied, try to go after him, at least with scathing feedback. OTOH, if he was clueless, then I think you should not slam him and just fix it.

Bob

7. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

Give us the item number. If the seller doesn't square it with you we could "Ask the Seller a Question" or 10,000 for you. Maybe one of us knows him, darn near have to be a trapshooter/ex-trapshooter.

8. straightshooter1

straightshooter1 Well-Known Member TS Supporters

I think I found it.

"Sold as it no returns. Clearing out an estate." Item # 202479881704?

Bob

9. Mr. D

Mr. D Member

Bob, I "thought" it was working because nothing said it wasn't and I was "thinking" all it needed was.... based on the pictures.

I have been in contact with the seller and he says to bad you own it, next time ask. I said F-you and hung up so I guess our little phone chat is over. I did leave him neg feedback for what thats worth.

Lee, I will email you tonight with a list of parts I feel I need and some pictures.

Now that I have has some time to chew on this turd I thinks its worth repairing and I have no problem doing a complete disassembly myself and rebuilding it. I'm also not oposed to MEC doing it but @ $65 per hr labor for how many hrs???

Dennis

10. Mr. D

Mr. D Member

Yes it is:

"Sold as it no returns. Clearing out an estate." Item # 202479881704?

11. birddog1964

birddog1964 TS Member

DENNIS,

YES I'VE HAD THE PLEASURE OF DEALING WITH THAT FINE GENT {NOT} MYSELF AND TALKING TO HIM, NICE PLEASANT GUY.

THANKS
    LEE

12. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Mr.D.... From the tone of your phone call, I think I would hesitate to work with you as well. Because of what you "thought", and what you were "thinking" when looking at the loader, you're blaming the seller for not providing the information you didn't even ask for? That's the reason they have "Ask the seller a question" in every auction. Just bite the bullet, chalk it up to experience, and move on. It's just too trivial a matter to worry about and get all worked up over. You learned a good lesson and probably won't make the same mistake again, right? FWIW, I sent my MEC 9000H back to MEC for a total overhaul. The total, for parts, labor, and shipping was $145.00. Yours would be considerably less, I would imagine. A phone call to MEC would give you a pretty good idea of what it would cost. At any rate, good luck with your new loader.... Dan Thome (Trap2)

13. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

Wanna sell it???

Guy Babin

14. rick979

rick979 Active Member

Why would you give the guy NEGATIVE feedback. Sounds like he descibed it as "as-is" and "no returns". Sounds like it was YOU with the problem. You made way too many assumptions on this deal. I have over 800 positives on Ebay and buyers like you are the reason that I quit "Ebaying" a year ago.

15. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Rick... Some folks just don't have good people skills, do they?? Dan

16. Hitapair

Hitapair Active Member

"From an estate-no returns" is a red flag meaning get the vaseline out.

17. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Would make a nice boat anchor. HMB

18. Mr. D

Mr. D Member

Rick - When an item is listed to be sold "as is" with no returns and no item discreption than all one can go on is the pictures. The pictures hid the damaged/missing parts. As for your 800 positives on Ebay so what I have 200 and both of those numbers and 2.50 will get you a cup of joe.

Dan - Don't assume anything, you were not part of the phone call and really don't know the details. As for being all worked up, not sure where your getting that. Hell I put more than that in my gas tank each week.

I will consider this thread closed.

19. fishguts

fishguts Member

This is what I would do......throw it in the nearest dumpster, case closed. I've had things that I would agonize over what to do with,.."should I fix it"?, "should I sell it"?,etc. One day I threw it away, no more thinking about it. One item was a MEC 650 that I bought for $75 because it only needed a few small parts.

Wayne

20. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

wanna sell it????

Guy Babin

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
lot of mec reloader parts on ebay
mec reloaders e bay

used mec grabber