1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

What to do with primed unusable hulls?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by BD457, Feb 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BD457

BD457 Member

In my reloading mess of last week, I've ended up with 150 cut open, chamberable, primed hulls. I could just oil the primers and throw 'em away, but I was wondering if there was something better (or more fun) to do with 'em that any of you have done?

Mike

2. Ron Burdick

Ron Burdick Active Member

Run them thru the de-prime stage on any MEC loader and reuse them.

Ron Burdick

3. Rich219

Rich219 Active Member

Depriming them is what I do to. Just wear safety glasses and go slow. You will be able to tell by "feel" if you are putting more pressure on them than you should be.

4. MDMike

MDMike Well-Known Member

What others have said. Wear safety glasses and ease them out with a MEC... They'll still shoot.....

5. BD457

BD457 Member

I'm sure this procedure is covered in a reloading book....right? :)

I'm glad you guys have done this with success. I was going to, but for $0.03 each, I figured I'd ask first rather than make another big mistake out of my first one.

Thank You guys........I love this site!!

Mike

6. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

De-prime tham on a MEC loader. The single stage MEC's work the best.

There is more risk of setting a primer off when inserting it than there is removing it!

Jim Skeel

7. LUGNUTZ426

LUGNUTZ426 TS Member

FUN??? Somebody once told me at a shoot he was gonna load a mini marshmello in one and shoot it from a flare gun.I never saw him again so I don't know the outcome. I would not try nor recommend it, though it does sounds like fun.

8. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

Same as all above I have pushed them back out with my Pacific ever since I started re-loading. Safety glasses. Ross Puls

9. Calkidd

Calkidd Well-Known Member

Those pesky loose pellets that get in the MEC primer cup sure make for interesting reloading. Don't ask me how I know.

Bryan

10. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

What Jim said. I knock them out often. You need to hit the anvil of the primer to set it off.

Wayne

11. Oscar Ray

Oscar Ray TS Member

I do what everyone else suggests, I knock them out on my Mec and reuse them, but please, wear safety glasses! Its better to be safe than sorry

Oscar

12. Fritzboy

Fritzboy TS Member

Not me. I throw them out. My sight is too valuable

13. Aussie Dan

Aussie Dan Member

Load a wad only with 2 grains of powder in them, you have the best pop gun in the county!

14. tcr1146

tcr1146 Well-Known Member

I wondered how long it would take the osha police to arrive!? Tom Rhoads

15. Border Bandit

Border Bandit Well-Known Member

I cut them down to 1" & use 'em for wad poppers. Since you have so many, pass 'em out to your friends.

best...mike

16. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

I usually call in the local bomb squad for proper disposal. They bring that robot gadget and it brings them out to the blast tank safely. Never can be too careful.

<br>
    <br>
    <br>
    <br>
    <br>
    Joking. I'm a tightass and save a penny every chance I get.<br>

[​IMG]

17. Pull Bang

Pull Bang Member

I have no problem de-priming halls with my back-up Mec loader. (I have a Grabber that I use; my first loader was a Sizemaster that I kept as a back-up). I have de-primed hulls various times through the years and NEVER had one detonate. I mainly do this if I have a mishap and want to get back in sequence or bad crimp and don’t want to use that hull.

As a safety precaution I always TURN MY FACE AWAY form the Sizemaster when de-priming a live primer.

I really don’t see any danger in de-priming hulls. Take a look at the de-priming punch. This punch has a radius end that is impossible to enter the flash hole of a primer. However, due caution is advised.

There is more danger in seating a primer. There is always the danger of getting a piece of shot in the primer seating pocket and detonating the primer.

Frank

18. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

"There is always the danger of getting a piece of shot in the primer seating pocket and detonating the primer."

That's what is great about the 366 primer seating station. It has a hole in the spring loaded base so that any errant shot that may fall in there simply passes on thru.

19. ron (vt)

ron (vt) Member

Knock em out. Been doing for it yaars no accidents yet.

Ron

20. goose2

goose2 Well-Known Member

I have deprimed more than a few. Like what was said above, ware glasses. The worst thing to happen is it will go bang and scare the shit out of you. I guess that could also result in a heart attach.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

primed hulls disposal