1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

What to do with powder you can't identify (funny)

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by tom-n8ies, Feb 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tom-n8ies

tom-n8ies Member

What to do with powder you can

Homemade rocket sled puts man in hospital with burns

I sure hope someone got this on video.

An Independence Township man who rigged up a homemade rocket device and attached it to his back is recovering from burns after the device exploded Saturday during a sledding party.

Oakland County Sheriff's Office deputies from the Independence Township Substation with the Independence Township Fire Department were called to a possible fireworks incident at 7:30 p.m.

The incident occurred at the victim's home in the 6700 block of Townview Drive in Independence Township.

The investigation concluded that the victim, a 62-year-old man, has an annual sledding party at his home and officials said he is known for doing “crazy” things at his parties.

Deputies said after consuming an unknown quantity of alcohol, the man constructed a device out of a motorcycle muffler and pipe.

He combined gunpowder, the heads from matches, and gasoline and filled the muffler with this combination.

He then donned a plastic garbage bag as a cap and a motorcycle helmet. He strapped the muffler/pipe device to his back.

He asked another person to light a wick and then began to sled down a hill. At some point during the ride downhill, the device exploded.

Deputies said the explosion caused second degree burns to the victims face. No one else was injured.

All party attendees were interviewed and all had the same account of events, deputies said.

A fire investigator from the Oakland County Sheriff's Office, the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms, and the Independence Township Fire Marshal responded to the scene.

A thorough search of the scene and the home was conducted and deputies said it appeared as if the garage area may have been cleaned prior to the arrival of emergency personnel.

The sled, the muffler/pipe device, and the motorcycle helmet were taken into evidence. No fireworks — illegal or otherwise — were found. No gunpowder container was found, deputies said.

After medical review, the victim has significant damage to one of his eyes that will require further treatment. He is being treated at a local hospital.

The Sheriff’s Office said the investigation remains open pending possible criminal charges.

Contact Oakland Press staff writer Carol Hopkins at 248-745-4645 or carol.hopkins@oakpress.com.
    Comments

The following are comments from the readers. In no way do they represent the view of theoaklandpress.com.

galena wrote on Feb 1, 2010 2:06 PM:
    " And this month's Darwin Award goes to.... "

Report Abuse

Superhero wrote on Feb 1, 2010 2:41 PM:
    " I wonder if this guy knows the rocket launcher guy. Both of them appear to watch too many action movies or play too many video games. "

Report Abuse

Dang Yall wrote on Feb 1, 2010 3:20 PM:
    " This is so Evol Kaneevol!

By gum! How did this dude make it to 62?? "

Report Abuse

Not Surprised wrote on Feb 1, 2010 3:27 PM:
    " Leave it to a man to do something stupid like that. "

Report Abuse

Critic wrote on Feb 1, 2010 3:38 PM:
    " Somebody needs to put out an all points bulletin out for an Acme salesman running around Oakland County. Shocking to hear that alcohol was a factor! I would imagine the movie Jacka$$ was also an influence on this moron. Either the authorities are going to put him away or natural selection will take care of it!

P.S. Did anyone ever figure out if he caught the Roadrunner? "

Report Abuse

Buster wrote on Feb 1, 2010 3:42 PM:
    " I wonder if he got this stuff from the ACME Rocket pack Company C/O Wylie E Coyote? "

Report Abuse

Joe wrote on Feb 1, 2010 3:51 PM:
    " Thinnin the herd, one at a time. "

Report Abuse

To Superhere wrote on Feb 1, 2010 4:05 PM:
    " This was the rocket launcher guy.

You know it's a 911 call waiting to happen when someone says "Hey y'all...hold my beer and watch this..!" "

Report Abuse

elmer wrote on Feb 1, 2010 4:10 PM:
    " I hope they have it on tape! "

Report Abuse

. wrote on Feb 1, 2010 4:55 PM:
    " The video sounds better than Bumfights. "

Report Abuse

one word wrote on Feb 1, 2010 5:14 PM:
    " HILLBILLY "

Report Abuse

Pant on the ground wrote on Feb 1, 2010 5:20 PM:
    " ... and the rocket man. They'd make a great team. They're both 62 years old with unique talents.

This is great. "

Report Abuse

RE pants on the ground wrote on Feb 1, 2010 5:22 PM:
    " What a year!!!... (flashbacks from all the drugs used in the 60s)

Let's give it up for the hectagenarians!!!! "

Report Abuse

Dave wrote on Feb 1, 2010 6:02 PM:
    " When he gets out of the hospital, I was hoping he would take my wife for a ride. "

Report Abuse

Blind Obama Supporter wrote on Feb 1, 2010 6:14 PM:
    " This clearly was George Bush's fault "

Report Abuse

J Ventura wrote on Feb 1, 2010 6:16 PM:
    " I heard he was burned by Thermite Paint. It was superthermite. "

Report Abuse

gadget wrote on Feb 1, 2010 6:25 PM:
    " figures , the verry people who profess to defend our right to free speech deleted my comment!!! nice bunch of communists!! "

Report Abuse

Ya cant fix stupid wrote on Feb 1, 2010 6:43 PM:
    " Let's hope it was the Clarkston Village Idiot! Hope they got that on video! Wouldn't have a problem finding someone to light the fuse if it was strapped to that Village Idiots back!
    A Board member with a lighter... "

Report Abuse

Granpa Dumb Butt wrote on Feb 1, 2010 6:45 PM:
    " Hey there Bobby got a match for the bomb on my back! "

2. Ljutic111

Ljutic111 TS Member

I don`t think many people know how much power match heads have if packed together . Many years ago (1958) as a 17 year old , we desided to pack match heads in a 14 in. piece of thin wall pipe . I flattened the ends over twice in a vise and threw it into a fire in the back yard near a barn and got far back and waited , then about 3-4 minutes later it exploded and took off into the air and by some luck it landed almost where the fire was . We retrieved it and one side of the pipe was opened up completely straight as if it wasn`t worked on . God help us if it ever came in our direction and hit us . No other powder in it but match heads !!!! Glad to get through those years .

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.