1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

What to do when trap breaks mid-squad?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by walleyeman, Jun 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. walleyeman

walleyeman TS Member

Funny thing happened yesterday. We were shooting and about halfway through the stations the trap breaks down. We eventually switched fields, one with a totally different backdrop, got one target to see, then since I was the one up when the trap broke, I was the first to shoot. I was happy when I broke that sucker!

Just wondering what the rules would say in a registered shoot for this instance?

2. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

Don't know about the rules but we do the same thing when a trap goes down.

Eric

3. Ajax

Ajax Well-Known Member

This has happened a number of times over the years. The club has responability of fixing the Trap or moving the squad to another Trap. If the club has another Trap,most of the clubs will move shooters to another Trap so they don't slow the shoot.

If there is a question on the targets on the new Trap. You are allowed to look at as many targets as needed to make sure they are legal. BUT if they are legal, PITA allows two targets. I believe ATA is one.

Ajax

4. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

HINT : Look at the target, not the back ground ... Machines break down get used to it and adapt or you will never fair very well ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

5. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Ajax--I'm having one of those days where i must play grammar teacher.

It is "LEGAL" not "LEAGLE".

6. walleyeman

walleyeman TS Member

Ahhhh...grammar. Hahahaha

7. walleyeman

walleyeman TS Member

Just to note. After that squad was over the very next squad I broke my personal best...a 22! I missed the very first target then went 22 for 24, I was proud of that. Its been a roller coaster ride since I started this trap thing 6 weeks ago.

8. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Six weeks ago, you ain't seen nothing yet ... Just when you think you just broke your worst ever score, you probably will ... Six weeks, I haven't shot in longer than that, been busy getting ready to ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

9. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

walleyeman--You got me and justifiably so. :D

Hope nobody else saw that. Maybe i should practice what i preach, eh? LOL

Having a Trap go down and having to move can shake you up if you allow it to. Try to put those small things out of your mind and just concentrate on breaking the next bird only. Some experienced shooters have been working with me on my shooting. The main thing is to relax and WANT to break the next bird never HAVE to break the next bird. It helps.

10. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

pweld

They have to provide you a legal target. It may take a number of targets to get to that point. Jeff

11. walleyeman

walleyeman TS Member

I guess legally, they have to give you one target once the trap is set-up within legal parameters.

12. Hank Cross

Hank Cross Member

In my very first ATA shootin 1974, I led off on point one and had 24 straight when the trap broke. No alternative but to wait a half hour until it was fixed. Luck smiled and i got the last bird.

Hank Cross

13. 320090T

320090T Well-Known Member

Jeff, If I move the squad to a fresh trap, for safety sake,they won't be on the line while I'm setting targets and when they are called to the line, they get to see one. Plus, a good scorer won't turn the speakers on until lead off mounts his gun. That eliminates all the freebees.

14. Ajax

Ajax Well-Known Member

Paul, if you'll look at my post I didn't say as many as you want. I said as many as needed to make sure the targets are legal. It may only take one, but I have seen it take many more.

Matt, change made and noted. LOL

Ajax

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.