1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

What to do now I am cutting/trapping off targets

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by gnprts, Jul 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gnprts

gnprts Member

I have started cutting off/trapping targets. It is killing my handicap scores. What is the cure?
    Any drills? Thanks

2. MIDDLE50

MIDDLE50 TS Member

from which posts

3. gnprts

gnprts Member

I tend to cut off quarter angle targets from 2 3 4 more from 4 though...The corners are Ok

4. Big Al 29

Big Al 29 TS Member

Hold more and more into the house so you have to swing through the target.

5. MIDDLE50

MIDDLE50 TS Member

6. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

gnprts just curious but exactly what do you mean when you say you "cut off" targets?????

Also where do you hold your gun above the roof, very high above just over or below the top edge of the roof????

Bob Lawless

7. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

I take it you means that you try to intercept the targets by coming up to the directly from underneath and you shoot behind them as a result. Wait a bit longer before moving your gun after the target appears so you can come in behind them and match their path as you overtake them.

MK

8. gnprts

gnprts Member

ivanhoe ... I hold just about a foot above the roof. I use the five commonly used hold points on the house I recently started coming straight up like unknown1 describes. Rather than track the target in any part of it's path....I am currently on the 25 and this habit really shows from there...

9. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

gnprts just something to observe when you shoot and use this method. As an example on post 4 if you get a target from 4 that would be a straight away from three and you swing directly to it with out tracking it. When the gun and target intersect the target is actually going to the right and the gun is going in swing that would be used for a straight away. This will put the gun behind the target when you pull the trigger.

If you keep the gun moving along the path you have taken and you miss the target you will see them getting farther apart in different directions. I had this problem some time back you need to take a path that will put on the right of the target when it comes time to pull the trigger. If you can learn to do this it put the gun swing and the target path in the same direction.

This just something to try I am not going to say that it will cure the problem. It is also a learning curve it probably won't happen all at once. It worked for me and I find if I don't keep on it in practice the problem will return.

Try it if you wish if it helps OK if not well nothing ventured nothing gained. Good luck and no matter what works for you I hope you find a good fix for the problem.

Bob Lawless

10. gnprts

gnprts Member

Bob... You have summed it up exactly like I am doing. Thanks for the help I will get to work on it Tuesday morning...

11. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

Keep in mind that the barrel and the target should be moving parallel to each other before the shot is taken.

Increasing your "lead" to be further ahead of the target when you intercept may appear to fix the problem but it is risky and can't be done consistently. Rather, wait a split second longer before beginning your swing. This will allow you the moment you need to get over the "excitement" of the appearance of the target and analyze its path. You'll think more clearly to swing the barrel in an upward arc instead of in a straight line to come in ahead of the target.

MK

12. phirel

phirel TS Member

Hold a little lower gun. See the target clearly. The gun will move to the target and go off without a conscious effort on your part.

Pat Ireland

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.