1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

What to do in the rain?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Kyle Spieles, Aug 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kyle Spieles

Kyle Spieles Member

We were planning on shooting today but it is raining outside :( What precuations do I need to use? Anything special need done to the gun after I shoot it? Cleaning?? Thanks.

2. laura!

laura! Member

Clean and oil it. Keep a towel and oil wipes with you so you can dry it off and oil it before casing it. When you get home do a thorough cleaning job.

If it really starts raining hard I flip my towel over the action while its open.

3. JRW

JRW Member

In the rain I hope I have not paid it is becoming tough for me to enjoy shooting in the rain or cold. Jerry

4. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

Wear a hat with a bill long enough to keep the water off of your shooting glasses. If it is a warm day, they will probably mist up real quick anyway.

Don't shoot Federal Papers, especially reloads, as some may swell and separate upon firing. If you absolutely have to shoot paper shells, keep them dry under a rain jacket until you load them into the action.

I was shooting Federal paper reloads once when it started to rain and when the shell fired, the front section of the hull separated from the base. I was able to pull a few separated hulls out of the chamber but, after a while, one separated hull went forward about 18" and became lodged in the barrel. I had to finish the round with a backup gun and plastic shells.

One thing about shooting in the rain, you can often see where your shot string goes.

Ed Ward

5. Ljutic111

Ljutic111 TS Member

Yes thats right and a great training tool for new shooters. And OLD too .

6. neofight

neofight TS Member

I live in Oregon. If it's not raining, it's just plain weird! We're so fast, we shoot between the raindrops.

7. neofight

neofight TS Member

I live in Oregon. If it's not raining, it's just plain weird! We're so fast, we shoot between the raindrops.

8. Remington STS

Remington STS TS Member

I've heard an old saying "winds in the face, guns in the case" for me if its raining back to bed lol

9. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

If you're female, wear a white t-shirt without a bra. You'll have no problems finding male suitors to properly de-water your favorite shotgun.

Guy B.

10. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

My inclination when it's raining is to stand in front of the fire while eating, drinking, and telling fibs.....breakemall....Bob Dodd

11. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

Confirmed Bob, you are much smarter than the most of us!

All the best,

Guy

12. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.