1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

*What to Do About Trojan Horses??

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Onceabum, Aug 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Onceabum

Onceabum TS Member

Here I am again with more questions. We have AVG anti virus. It says we have 6 Trojan Horses that are infected. It says "system volume information\restore Trojan horse dropper agent. JOC infected. When we tried to move them to the Virus Vault the message said "Moved object is bigger than the archive size limit." Anyone know what they're talking about and what we should do about this?

Thanks,

Booger

2. Andy44

Andy44 Active Member

Increase your Virus Vault size to accept the files, then delete the files after you transfer them. HTH - AndyH

3. Onceabum

Onceabum TS Member

To Andy44
    Is there an easy way to increase the size of the virus vault? I clicked on it and couldn't see how to do it.
    Appreciate your help.

4. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

Open up AVG, click on the Tools menu, choose Advanced Settings. In the Maintenance section click on Virus Vault, then on the right side move the slider to the right to increase the size of the storage vault and then try to remove them again. Once removed, click on the History menu, choose virus vault, then delete the viruses that are in there. Lastly, go back to the maintenance settings and move the slider back to the left to it's original position.

5. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Why not delete them out of the Virus Vault directly!

Just hilite them and click on the red X with the waste basket!

Werks fer me....it'll werk fer U !

6. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

Ahab, they are too big to go into the vault in the first place. He has to increase the size of the vault first in order to move the files in there. Do you understand how your AVG works?

7. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

I had 2 of them, just looked. AVG put them there by itself. Same Trojan.

Make sure you have the latest AVG, and schedule a scan daily in the wee hours.

I have a scan every day at 3 AM.

Like Curvey said. If you try to move them all at once the limit may be exceeded. Try one at a time.

My slider is set at 10 %, seems to work ok.

HM

8. Onceabum

Onceabum TS Member

My friend increased the size of the vault to 100% but said files are still to big. Comments please.

BB

9. Onceabum

Onceabum TS Member

Did try one at a time. But no luck.

BB

10. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Well, it don't make sense but anyway, my next move would be to go to Trendmicro.com and use the Housecall free scan and removal tool.

HM

11. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Try to disable system restore on all drives and the files should be purged. The problem might not be the size of the files. Windows does not usually allow access to the system Restore files by any outside program. It may just be misreporting the size since there are permission issues.

Be aware that if you do disable the system restore feature, you will not be able to go back using the restore feature. Be sure the system is operating properly before you take the risk. If you have the ability, make a drive image.

If you do a search on the exact trojan, you should be able to find removal instructions which probably will include the "Diasable Syatem Restore" step. Try Symantec or McAfee's virus libraries. Even AVG may have more information about it.

Another option is to do a scan and clean from outside of windows. Some AV programs will be able to do that. AVG isn't one of them, or at least it wasn't when I last played with AVG. There are some windows based live disks that can do it. A modified Windows PE or Bart PE disk might be an option. Some Linux live disks claim to be able, but writing to an NTFS partition with Linux is risky. Reading one is no problem. You can end up with a corrupted partition as a result, but it would eliminate the trojans. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.