1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

what to clean 1100 with

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by musky, May 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. musky

musky TS Member

My dad and i bought two standard weight 1100 20 guages and if you go buy the outside looks they are great. Well after we took them apart they are so filthy i can not see how they still fire. I was wondering if you can use engine solvent without hurting the bluing and if it does what do you recommend using to clean them. Thanks for the help. Larry.

2. Oregunner

Oregunner Well-Known Member

Take all the wood off, and use spray on brake cleaner (get from the auto section). It will take all the gunk off. Blow it out with compressed air, then spray with Remoil and spray off again. Mark

3. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

My way is the old way. Solvent and 0000 steel wool on magazine tubes and gas rings. Solvent or break cleaner in the receiver.

4. mich746

mich746 Member

Back in the day when I was goose hunting and would return with muddy guns I would remove the two pins, pull the trigger and bolt and wash it in the sink with very hot water, dry & oil.

5. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

I used brake cleaner for years and it works "OK". What really works good is gun scrubber. There is a reason it cost 4 dollars a can more then Carb or Brake cleaner.

It works 3x as good! I just spend the money now and do not look back. A can of gun scrubber will clean two FILTHY guns or 4 guns that just need cleaned.

I have taken them apart and scrubbed with warm soapy water as well. I am with the pheasantmaster on the magazine tube and the gas seal rings. Solvent and steel wool. Don't be afraid to scrub that magazine tube with fine steel wool. That is key to keeping them running.Jeff

6. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    I've always wondered if brake cleaner being used in firearms, particularly in the chamber, barrel and gas system, produces phosgene gas like welding does when the metal has been cleaned with brake cleaner? For this reason, I use Gun Scrubber now on firearms, not brake cleaner.

For those wondering what I'm talking about, click the link.

7. Zoom.Golly

Zoom.Golly Well-Known Member

Whatever you do, DO NOT, repeat, DO NOT, put your fingers inside the receiver. Do not even put them in with paper towels or a rag wrapped around them. If you need to clean the inside of the receiver, wrap the paper towels or rags around a screwdriver to grasp them with needle nose pliers.

DO NOT, repeat, DO NOT, put your fingers inside the receiver!

8. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

What Sam is saying is that the rails the bolt runs on of the reciever on a well shot 1100 develop razorblade edges and will open your fingertips to the bone!!! Jeff

9. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    The old ones developed it. The new ones are machined that way.

10. carpk

carpk TS Member

Sam is right! Been there done that. It only takes one time to learn the lesson.

Ken

11. Big Al 29

Big Al 29 TS Member

Ballistol cleans everything. Metal and wood.

Plus its non toxic.

BUT... it will work better than any of the voodoo methods above for sure.

12. musky

musky TS Member

Thank you for all the great suggestions. To late on the fingers inside receiver. Like they said as sharp as a razor. Thanks from Larry.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.