1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

What to buy?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by capvan, Oct 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. capvan

capvan Active Member

I've been in and out of trap shooting for the past 40 years and have always
    used my 12 gauge Remington 1100. I shoot in the 20's all the time and have been
    happy with that. Now I think I would like to improve things a little,
    but have been put off by the price tags I see on "trap" guns. Is there
    anything out there in the $500 - $600 range that would be worthwhile for
    me? Or should I just continue to have fun with the 1100?
    Bruce

2. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Bruce...... Daro Handy holds the worlds record in handicap trap with a run of 505 straight from the 27 yard line. His gun? Remington 1100....... Next question? Dan Thome (Trap2)

3. capvan

capvan Active Member

I paid $75 for this Remington 12 gauge (vent rib) in 1972. New...
    How do you figure it's a $500 gun?

4. shadow

shadow Active Member

BUy more targets and shells. Nothing wrong with a 1100.

5. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

Consider looking for a Model 12 trapgun in good condition. You are used to a pumpgun, and the better balance of a Model 12 may help you improve. Example: I once picked up an 870 TC comp., an oldie with the gas relief for recoil reduction, and shot a 95 in singles. Never shot the gun before or since. I felt it was maybe the imprecision of the gun that saved me from an embarassing score and allowed an "atta boy" score. (I noticed the slow locktime and was surprised when some targets broke, the sight picture varied so much..) However, after the shoot I tried the gun from the 21 yard line and couldn't hit my hat. Just too imprecise for me, and I emphasize, the fit was also poor for me. A nice Model 12 that FITS you might be the ticket at a competitive price and you would be "dialed in" running a pumper. You'd get the better balance and wonderful pointing abiliity of the M-12.

6. AJ100

AJ100 TS Member

Bruce, when you find a nice Model 12 Trap for $500-$600, let me know.

Stick with what you have. Like shawdow said, buy more shells and go shoot.

Tom(AJ100)

7. Post  2

Post 2 TS Member

With respect to Dan, Daros 1100 isn't exactly a 1100. Everything on or in it has been changed. It does point out however, that there are many modifications that can be made to your gun to individualize it and possibly help to improve your scores. Good luck. Post-2

8. crusha

crusha TS Member

I want to shoot an 1100 like the Big Dawg...where do I buy the aftermarket device that automatically turns down all angle targets?

9. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

How does an 1100 "dial in" someone for a Model 12? Just askin'.

10. mike T

mike T Member

Take your 1100 and get a adj comb stock for it. Or an old Monte Carlo stock and have if cut by a stock maker. Get it fitted to you. Get an old step rib barrel. And you are not ready to shoot with anyone. Big Leo started with an 1100. (I am betting it was not a stock off the shelf gun.) But you can "trick" out a 1100 about any way you want.
    mike t

11. AJ100

AJ100 TS Member

Mike, don't bet anyone.

In 1978 Leo was shooting two different 1100's. I think I still have the old Trap&Field around here somewhere. One of the questions was, "Is there any difference between the one you shoot for singles/caps and the one you shoot for doubles?"

I was waiting for the big secret to be let out. His answer was something like," Well, yes there is a difference between the two guns. The doubles 1100 is a 1/4" shorter than the other one." Thats It? That's the big difference?

What's that old line about the indian and the arrow? He could have been shooting an old J.C. Higgins pump gun and he still would have broken them. Of course the sale of J.C. Higgins pumps would have gone up.

Bruce, I watched a guy win the PA. State Pigeon Shoot 20x20 a few years back with an F grade 1100. Not too many guys will shoot pigeons with an auto because of the chance of a foul up with the gun. This guy could have shot ANY type and brand of gun he wanted. Hell, he owned a LOT of high end pigeon guns. He picked the 1100.

You can't buy a score. If you can break in the 20's like you said, you can break them all. It's not the gun.

Good advice from me huh? I've owned 22 different trap guns in the last 37 years. But I shot doubles too so that counts for some of them. LOL

Good Luck,Tom(AJ100)

12. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

I agree with Chango....no need to 'trick out' a Mod 12!

It will destroy targets from 16 to 27 yds ....and beyond!

13. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

Sorry, I thought the gentleman was running an 870. My brain had flatulance.
    However, I continue to believe that: A Model 12 is the greatest bang for buck in a well made gun. Second biggest bang for the buck, IMO: A TM1 P gun that has not been altered beyond common sense. (Stock barrel, or at least if modified, by somebody like Briley or Wilkinson, no porting, no hacked up stock...)

14. phirel

phirel TS Member

Bruce- You are clearly thinking in the wrong direction. You are shooting reasonable scores, but when you look at the gun rack, you see many fine, and expensive shotguns. You think that if you had one, you would shoot better and fit in with the expensive gun crowd.

First, trap shooters with expensive guns do not care at all what others shoot. Buying a new gun is fine. It may, or may not help your shooting. If you are simply wanting to have more fun shooting, I would suggest some modifications to your current gun. Adjustable stocks are good. It might be polite to have a shell deflector. Some Rem. guns could be improved with a trigger tune up. You might even want to think about a new front sight that glows (I like the green color). When you get serious and travel to larger shoots, a second beat up 1100 field gun will give you a set of spare parts. They are simple to put in.

You are now well equipped to shoot trap. After you carry a 95+ average on 5,000 targets for two years, write back and I will tell you how you might get another 3 targets per thousand with a $15,000 gun.

Pat Ireland

15. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

Bruce, I've own a couple trap guns some more expensive than others but the 1100 that I've owned and been shooting since 72 has served me well. Shoot the gun you have just shoot more and your scores will improve.
    Bruce

16. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Spend your money on ammo and targets and have fun. Your M1100 is a perfect gun for this activity and you won't find anything that works better even for $1,000.

17. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

mike T, both of Leo's 1100's were stock except the handicap one had mole skin on comb. Also one had an Allis Chammers sticker on it...

chango2, quit listening to Ross :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.