1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

What to buy>

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by jetguy, Aug 31, 2013.

1. jetguy

jetguy TS Member

What would buy? A 800 c PW or a Mec Grabber. The PW is a used loader.for 300.00 dollars The Mec is new. Thanks. Jim

2. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

I know the Grabber is an excellent reloader (at least the one I had was). You should be able to find a used one for $200 +/-.

I don't know anything about a P-W 800.

Good luck.

Bob Falfa

3. August1940

August1940 Active Member

I don't know what changes have been made to the Grabber since I owned one somewhere around 1990, but I spent more time cleaning up spilled shot and powder than I did loading I think.

Maybe they have made some changes to prevent dumping shot and powder when there is no hull present, but I will never have another MEC product.

Lots of folks use them, and I think they may be the more popular of reloaders.

I have the RCBS Grand, and am really happy with it. Like all loaders it seems there are some things to learn in order to make things run smoothly, but the Grand is rock solid easily adjustable, hulls can be removed at any station with out disrupting the other stations, and the tech support is good, and parts are free for life. Who's life I don't know, but they have been very good when I have needed a part or two, and there are some parts that can wear or break, as is the case with all reloaders.

I like the idea of a Spolar, but that is a lot of money. The PW sounds good, but I hear they are kind of finicky. The Dillon seems good, and I have other Dillon products and they are first class, and good support also.

If I had it to do over, knowing what I know presently, I would go with the RCBS Grand again. That is my opinion, hope it helps you.

Regards August

4. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

August1940,

You are right, the Grabber can do that. Any time/reason the bar lock fails to do it's job, it starts raining shot. Always figured that was the reason people started mounting their loaders on a cookie sheet. My Grabber was less prone to do that than my 9000G, so I guess that's why I have such fond memories of the Grabber. Once it happens a couple times you begin to figure out ways to "short circuit it." Seems like a little oil in strategic spots and double springing of the bar lock release had positive results, but my oldtimers disease might be playing tricks on me again. ;-)

Bob Falfa

5. ArmyMechanic

ArmyMechanic Member

Id go with the PW, built to last and there is so much support on this site its unbelievable! Wiz of S&W supply is first class for help and parts. Just my opinion!

6. JT 27

JT 27 Member

I have owned my 800 for over 30 years. Minor maintenance is all I have had. I have loaded over 300,000 shells with it. The full length resizing allows me to shoot reloads in an autoloader for doubles.