1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

what to buy ak 47 or ar 15

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by biggunone, Dec 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. biggunone

biggunone Member

Does any know anything about these guns,i am looking at bushmaster a320 target and black window ak 47 xtr.Question like what is the best cal.and affordable,which is more accurate and what ever else you could come up with, even a different manufacture,barrel lenght you get the picture thanks in advance for any input, breakem all tom.

2. omgb

omgb Well-Known Member

If you want accuracy you buy the AR15. Hands down it will out shoot the AK in any of the AKs many permutations. The 223 round will also shoot flatter, has a milder report and less felt recoil. OK, that being said, if you are buying it for survival purposes the AK outshines the AR. It is less complicated, stands up to abuse better, is completely insensitive to the quality of ammo it digests and any half-wit can tear it down, clean it and reassemble it. It is a weapon designed to serve under the worst possible conditions. It is virtually ubiquitous in that it can be found in every part of the globe as can its ammo. The round itself is on par power wise with the 30-30. So, analyze what's most important to you, accuracy or reliability under the absolutely worst possible conditions, price, global availability etc and then choose.
    R Talley

3. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

I would buy the COLT AR-15 and then the AK 47. Get them both because your going to have at times ammo for one and not the other. What I'm trying to say is have a gun for what ever ammo is around and at hand.

4. 25deadbirds

25deadbirds TS Member

+1 on what omgb said. I would only add that the AR in one of the alternate platforms like the 6.8 SPC or 6.5 Grendell can have similar knock down power to an AK at longer distances except you'll hit what your aiming at.

5. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

Ar-15.com has all the info and more.

omgb summed it up nicely however.

I have both.

6. TOLIPNUG

TOLIPNUG TS Member

DO the smart thing and buy a sig 556 series-you will get the best of both worlds-rick zino

7. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

+1 on what Auctioneer said. They both have their niche. Loaded ammo is cheaper for the AK and the round is more powerful. The AR is a superior platform for accuracy/optics. Pick the 16" for working around the house and out to 200 yards. Buy the 20/24" if all you're doing is punching paper or prairie dogs. A warning though. If you start with the AR, you'll likely never have any free money to go the AK route. ;-) Too many accessories. Good luck.

To complicate things, there are ARs in 7.62 X 39, but they are not AKs.

8. jm1079

jm1079 Well-Known Member

Consider buying an AR15 with an extra upper for the AK47 ammo. JM

9. sernv99

sernv99 Active Member

as previous posters have said, either 5.56/.223 or 7.62x39 can be out of stock while the other is in stock....if you buy an AR, make sure to buy one built for 5.56, not .223....I would not shoot 5.56 ammo in a gun made for only .223. If you just want either gun for plinking and having fun, i would get the AK...you can run steel based shells (Wolf) through it without fear of ruining the internals. The same can not be said on an AR, although some folks run Wolf and similar steel based shells through their AR.

10. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

It is my inderstanding that the 5.56 and 223 is one in the same. Why wouldn't you shoot either one in either rifle?

11. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

I own 2 AKs; a standard 47 and a standard 74. Of the 2 the 74 is more accurate but neither is as accurate as a Lewis Machine Co. or CMMG AR-15.

On the other hand, neither AR is as forgiving about maintenance or ammunition as either AK.

For all round enjoyable to shoot I prefer the AKs.

MK

12. blkcloud

blkcloud Active Member

13. Unknown1

<blockquote><I>It is my inderstanding that the 5.56 and 223 is one in the same. Why wouldn't you shoot either one in either rifle?</I></blockquote>..because the NATO 5.56 round is NOT the same as the Remington .223 round and neither are the chambers in properly made rifles.

Besides differences in the shape of the chamber throats required for the two rounds, rifles that are chambered for .223 Remington sporting ammo are rated for only 50K PSI peak chamber pressure; rifles chambered for 5.56 NATO are rated for 60K PSI peak pressure. Firing NATO rounds in a .223 rifle can truly disrupt your day.

MK

14. Twinbirds

Twinbirds TS Member

Unknown1 is exactly right. 5.56 chambers are slightly bigger and will fire higher pressure rounds. The .223 chambers are slightly smaller and tighter and are not rated to accept the same high pressures of the 5.56.

It is no problem to shoot .223 in a 5.56 chamber. It could be a potentially HUGE PROBLEM to fire 5.56 in a .223 chamber. The higher pressure cartridge in the smaller weaker chamber can lead to catastrophic failure of the firearm.

If you want to shoot both, and not worry about ammo get the 5.56. The AR platform is a highly adaptable platfrom and you can put a upper designed for the AK ammo(7.62x39) as simply as pushing two pins out, swap and, two pins back in. Good luck

15. sernv99

sernv99 Active Member

I have an unfired Lewis Machine Tool AR for sale...comes with several mags and a sling...

16. Rastoff

Rastoff Active Member

Buy a Mini-14.

17. Rich219

Rich219 Active Member

Get both!

What is a black widow AK47 though?

I would go with the AR15 first and then an AK47, or you could get an AK74.

18. Unknown1

<blockquote><I>"...What is a black widow AK47 though?..."</I></blockquote>It's a over-priced, poorly-built Romanian AK done up in a cheesy black wrinkle paint job with a bunch of cheesier (also poorly made) doodads hung on it. They function as badly as they look.<center>
    [​IMG]
    </center>

MK

19. perazzitms

perazzitms TS Member

Yea, you can go broke buying stuff for an AR.

You can build yourself a respectable AR for less than $550 now. Uppers can be had all day for $350, get a lower for about $80, LPK for $50, stock for $50 and *POOF* -- Frankenrifle.

One thing nobody's mentioned is that you can get a .22 conversion for the AR for about $150 and shoot .22LR through it all day long for $5. Fun. I have one. Tried more than a few time to get it to jam (rapid fire) and it just keeps ticking. Not the most accurate .22 gun in the world, but it will hit what you're shooting at for fun.

If you go the AK route, look for a Saiga in 7.62x39 (you can get them in .223 and in .308 also). Cheap ($350), and better built than the run of the mill commie stuff out there.

20. shelly

shelly TS Member

Why limit yourself? The country needs an economic boost so buy an AR, an AK ad a Mini 14. You can't go wrong and it's your patriotic duty.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.