1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

What to buy???? 28ga.

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by over the hill, May 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. over the hill

over the hill Active Member

If this 28ga. thing takes off and becomes an optional event in the future what gun would you buy???

A friend of mine shoots skeet with a MT6 with tubes. OU with tubes?????

Being a Mod. 12 shooter I see quite a few Browning 12s for sale. Any good????

Also some 870s , but with short barrels (25") Too short????

Whats your opinion??

Regards...Gerald

2. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Just put a tube in your break open gun and be done with it.

If you want a slide gun, then get a 28" barreled BPS. They come with choke tubes and are a good pointing/shooting gun once the trigger is cleaned up.

ss

3. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Be cautious of using a 28 gauge OU or pump as they are much lighter than a trap gun. There will be a learning curve swinging the lighter gun. You may want to experiment with chokes too. A "Full" 28 gauge can be quite unforgiving.

4. Mike K P

Mike K P Member

A few years back I put a monte carlo stock on my 28 ga 870. It now shoots high for me. With the full Briley tube in it targets are hit hard from the 16 yard line. I put weight in the stock and mag tube. It has a 25" barrel but with the long receiver the end of the barrel might be out as far as an O/U. I haven't found it to be any more difficult to hit than with my 12 ga. Easily my favorite gun to shoot. Mike.

5. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

Are you interested in a cute little gun to play with at trap, or are you interested in a 28 gauge that will give you the best chance of breaking trap targets?

If the first, buy the cutest 28 you can find, and there are lots of them. Personally I find the Model 12s about as cute as it gets.

If the later, drop a tube an your break-open trap gun.

6. WS-1

WS-1 Banned User Banned

My brother got a BPS for Christmas. It looks good, fits good, and it was cheap.

Kit

7. BILL GRILL

BILL GRILL Well-Known Member

For me my 4e will go to Briley and get a tube. I am sure that will be better,cheaper, and easier to shoot that another 28 ga. gune. jmho, Bill

8. OldGoat

OldGoat Well-Known Member

28 ga. Browning (not Winchester) model 12s sometimes have problems. I have known 2 friends who bought them, had troubles with them, and sold them because of the difficulties they encountered, not the least of which was finding someone who could work on them and get them to work reliably. Others may not have had these issues. Would be hard to beat an 870 or BPS. Buying a full length Briley tube for your trap gun as Mr. Grill suggests would be the best option if you have a single barrel or O/U Regards, Ed

9. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

Even the original Winchester Model 12s in 28 gauge never shucked like the 12s and 20s. The "safety improvement" on the Browning made Model 12s that prevents fan-firing makes them even difficult. To shuck really smooth a Model 12 needs a little forward pressure on the forearm. Recoil inertia supplies that in the 12 and 20 gauges. There isn't enough recoil in the 28 to get that done. That's why there was never a Model 12 in 410. The Model 42s had s slightly different design to compensate for the lack of recoil.

10. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

mia_2008_0303183.jpg

ANIB $750 and FedEx

11. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

I have a BPS in 28 gauge, it may not be the cat's meow for sub-gauge trap (if that becomes an event) but it is a very smooth reliable pump that has put a whole bunch of quail in the bag for me. Can't think of a better gun for the money. Mine breaks 16 yard targets with good authority.

The scaled down Browning O/Us are really neat guns that you could pack around all day and not get tired of but they are pretty whippy.

12. sernv99

sernv99 Active Member

anyone shoot subgauage with a K20 with either the 20 gauge or 28 gauge barrels?

13. kiv-c

kiv-c Member

I bought a set of GaugeMate Gold adapters in 28GA to use in my LC Smith; my hope is that they'll work good for skeet shooting.

I wonder how one of them would work in my 101 with a 34" trap full choke barrel? If I get a chance, guess I'll give it a try this weekend...

Kiv

14. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Gerald, I guess it depends on what you really want the gun for??? Hunting!!! A good pump would be fine, or even a used Browning lighting O/U would be good. If you want to use mostly for clay target shooting like,trap,skeet, or sporting and 5 stand, then you more than likely get a target grade O/U like the XS sporting or 525 sporting. Tubing your current gun at home will add 11 oz.'s or more to the gun, which I guarantee will take some time to get used to. Pumps are not as good in targets and remember you will want to reload your empty's so do you want to bend over and pick-up all your empties??? You will enjoy shooting this gauge gun whatever gun you get. Have fun and break-em all. Jeff

15. JRW

JRW Member

I have a winchester 28 ga. mod. 37a full choke just waiting to destroy clay targets. Jerry in MI.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.