1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

What style rib posts for Model 12

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Patrick Haskins, Jun 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Patrick Haskins

Patrick Haskins Member

I am restoring a 1916 Model 12 and will be having Simmons work their magic on this boat anchor. Which style rib posts would be the best looking in the opinion of the many Model 12 afficianados on this forum? Simmons does not have comparison pics on their website.
    thanks,
    Pat Haskins

2. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

The patent date for the first Factory vent rib was November25 , 1919. It was the two pin Milled rib only made by Winchester and never by Simmons. So originality is not an issue. With that said I like the doughnut base. I will try to add pics. Jeff

3. OLD ONE EYE

OLD ONE EYE Well-Known Member

I agree with Jeff the donut post is my choice also but costs extra you also could have them put a Duckbill on the receiver instead of the milled in rib extension also for extra cost. I am a Model 12 guy and once had the grove on the top of the field reseiver welded up so it was just like a Trap grade Mod 12. It all costs for these upgrades but with todays prices on guns it is not really that expensive for some thing you want and can shoot. You will usually end up with more money invested in the end. After wood and rib installation than you could buy an already finished built up gun for in todays market.

To me it is like classic cars solid value plus I can drive it and enjoy the performance and Classic looks.
    Buddy

4. BILL GRILL

BILL GRILL Well-Known Member

Round post donut base gets my vote also!

5. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

I went to the Simmons web site , they are offering solid matted ribs ! Jeff

6. Patrick Haskins

Patrick Haskins Member

I also thought about the matted solid rib, but thought I would like the vented rib better.
    Pat

7. Patrick Haskins

Patrick Haskins Member

Buddy,
    Do you have pictures of the duckbill on the receiver? It sounds interesting.
    thanks,
    Pat

8. Patrick Haskins

Patrick Haskins Member

Thanks to all that responded. When I get the gun back, I will post photos
    Pat

9. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Hey Pat, before and after pictures sidexside would look neat too? Hap

10. Patrick Haskins

Patrick Haskins Member

The gun is a sick puppy now, but I may do that

11. Simmons guns

Simmons guns TS Member

The solid matte ribs are new for us, we have been installing them on m-42's, m-12's, m-97's and even some 870 trap barrels.
    We have done some on o/u's but not many, this is an un-tapped market that we are going to be going into more i think.
    One the rib posts, the round are the most classy looking ones i think. Winchester used the mid rib pins but paid us for each shock block used (breach post). the single pin in the shock block was ours from the start.
    This way it was a true floating rib without binding on the barrel, if you have any questions about the matte ribs or vent ribs you can get me here.
    Yes we need better pictures on our web site, it's something we have been working on for a while but we are really trying to get guns finished and new products rolling, there coming but it will take time.
    Thank you, Paul Salchow.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.