1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

what solvent should i use?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by trapman99, Jun 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. trapman99

trapman99 TS Member

just wondering how everyone removes the old grease after a day of shooting so you can apply new

2. vdt

vdt Active Member

mineral spirits

3. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

None. If you use a synthetic grease there's no need for a solvent. I do use the protectant Barricade or G96 Gun Protectant as a metal wipe. Good stuff.

4. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Homemade "Ed's Red" solvent.

CONTENTS: Ed's Red Bore Cleaner

1 part Dexron ATF, GM Spec. D-20265 or later.

1 part Kerosene - deodorized, K1

1 part Aliphatic Mineral Spirits

CAS #64741-49-9, or substitute "Stoddard Solvent", CAS #8052-41-3, or equivalent.

1 part Acetone, CAS #67-64-1.

(Optional 1 lb. of Lanolin, Anhydrous, USP per gallon, or OK to substitute Lanolin, Modified, Topical Lubricant, from the drug store)

5. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

I just clean the gun as usual, wipe off old grease with a lint free cloth, then lube as required. A few times a year, it gets a teardown, inspection, thorough cleaning, and worn parts replacement. It depends on what gun you are using and what grease you use, and where. I don't like "solvents" unless I've removed iron from wood. I use Kerosene for cleaning trigger assemblies. Shooter's Choice Bore and Choke cleaner for the barrels and any gas ports, etc. Break Free "spray" direct or on a rag, seems to get the old grease and crud off the iron pretty well. The spray seems to have a little better "solvent" action when compared to the bottled stuff. I've made the Ed's Red stuff before and it works, but I prefer what I've mentioned above.

6. wolfk80

wolfk80 TS Member

Grease will last way more than 1 day. Wipe it off with a rag. Put new grease on. Keep it simple. Over cleaning/lubing guns does way more damage than under cleaning/lubing.

7. grntitan

"Over cleaning/lubing guns does way more damage than under cleaning/lubing."

I don't know about that. I'd rather waste grease and cleaner than risk having dirt or metal specs in the old grease and galling the gun. Glad your not caring for my guns.

8. chipking

chipking TS Member

I have used either Breakfree CLP, Marksman's Choice MC-7, or some of the mil-spec CLP that I accumulated over the years to clean off the grease and for a quick bore swap and wipe clean each day. Right now my traveling cleaning kit has MC-7 in it. When I get ready to shoot the next day I use a drop of the same on the ejectors and then CMD grease where needed.

--- Chip King ---

9. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

Shooters Choice to clean and Breakfree CLP or Birchwood Casey Barricade to wipe down and any good CLEAN grease with rust inhibitors.

All I do with the chokes is clean out the area they fit in and put a good gun oil on the outside of the choke tube and hand tighten.

10. nutty1

nutty1 TS Member

unknown hit it on the money, then i use tri-flow and stos

11. ExFedex

ExFedex Active Member

Mineral spirits. Not toxic and cheap so the Beretta Service Dept. told me years ago.

12. trim tab

trim tab Active Member

Clenzoil!! Go to clenzoil.com Nothing better and smells good. Nuff said!!!!!!!!!

13. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Mineral Spirits will do the job but it is a job you don't really want/need to do that much. A simple wipe down is sufficient and it leaves the metal surfaces nicely protected.

Save the solvent cleaning for when you actually have some nasty crud starting to accumulate - once every couple of months should be plenty.

14. Bill Stern

Bill Stern Member

Clenzoil! Clean your bore with anything else and then run a patch with Clenzoil through - you'll be amazed at how much more comes out with Clenzoil. I've been using it for about five years. Oh, it's also good for wood and leather.

15. grntitan

I gotta get some of this Clenzoil. You guys have really got me curious now. Where do you get it? Does it smell better than Hoppes?

16. Slugo

Slugo Member

Never have used greese on any of my shotguns in over 30 years. It attracts dirt and will wear out parts quickly. I use a good bore cleaner, Hoppes or Shooters Choice. Then lube key areas lightly with either Breakfree of FP10 CLP.

17. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Another vote for Clenzoil, have tried them all and it works the best for cleaning and protecting your gun, your leather, and the wood on the gun also ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

18. wm rike

wm rike Member

Clenzoil smells like turpentine with a bit of Kiwi shoe polish thrown in. Not bad, but you just can't beat #9 for aroma.

19. MAX & TOBY

MAX & TOBY Member

Montana X-treme. By far better than hoppes or shooter's choice, but TJMO!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.