1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

what size choke?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by rmccartyjr, May 27, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rmccartyjr

rmccartyjr TS Member

what size choke is best from the 16 and 21.and what works best 4 doubles shooting je 687 1 oz practice and 1 1/8 1200 fbs on both thanks

2. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

You forgot one vital stat. What are you shooting? What gun that is?----Matt

3. trapp2012

trapp2012 Member

Modified or Improved modified would be your best bets...

4. rmccartyjr

rmccartyjr TS Member

berreta same as 682 e

5. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

rmccartyjr, the exact answer is to use whichever choke puts 80% of the pellets into a 30" circle at the distance you break your targets.

Beretta's choke markings are a joke. However, their Im and F chokes do actually do what they say. The Mod is iffy. I had to go to a Briley tube to get actual Mod performance.

A good IM choke (.025") is all you will need from 16 or 21 (been there, done that). For doubles, Mod and IM are good bets. If you shoot your first bird quickly, you can probably get by with the Beretta M choke in the Under barrel.

6. Trappy12

Trappy12 Active Member

Who cares what others say? Shoot them all and find what you like best. Otherwise, you'll never know for yourself.
    -Trappy

7. rmccartyjr

rmccartyjr TS Member

thanks 4 ur help guys rich

8. nords

nords Member

Light mod for 16 and to 21 (no wind or rain). If you shot quick imp cyl 1st shot and Mod or Imp Mod for 2nd. 682 Gold Trap X Good luck!

9. waverider

waverider Well-Known Member

If you are shooting 1 oz I would use IM for 16 yards. With 1 1/8 oz of #8 shot, Mod will be a good starting point for 16 yards. Look for solid breaks of many pieces. As you gain skill and confidence choke tighter for practice. With my Beretta 682 I practiced with IM and shot Mod in tournaments. I found that I shot better with IM.

For 22 yards and 1 1/8 oz of shot I used IM.

For doubles try IC first shot 1 oz #8 shot and IM 1 1/8 oz of shot. Shoot the first target as fast as you can without being out of control. Then look for and move to the 2nd target.

I would use 1 1/8 oz of #8 at 1145 f/s for 16 yards, punishing your shoulder with 1200 f/s loads may lead to flinching. If you just want to use 1 type of shell for 16 yard singles and handicap try 1 1/8 oz of 7 1/2 at 1145 f/s, until you get to the 24 yard line.

Jason

10. StonewallRacing

StonewallRacing Well-Known Member

Wow!

I agree with Trappy......

11. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

Rich,

using the Beretta optima chokes that came with your Etchen 687 use "mod" for singles, "imp mod" for hncp, "mod/imp mod" for dbls.

John C. Saubak

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

choke size for trap shooting

choke sizes for trap shooting
what size choke for trap shooting
what size of chokes do trapshooters use