1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

What Should I do

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by magyar, Apr 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. magyar

magyar TS Member

I have a TMX Special which I have not used for sometime.. It seems my #5 choke is frozen in place.. Any suggestions how to loosen up and remove..
    Thanks,

Bob

2. wild gun one

wild gun one Member

heat it up with a hair dryer or heat gun

3. Oregunner

Oregunner Well-Known Member

First thing you need is a good choke wrench. The Remington wrench has 4 notches and a square hole in the top that fits a 3/8" socket wrench. If that fits your choke, then prepare the choke by soaking it in penatrating oil, have someone firmly hold the gun, while you apply downward pressure to the wrench, so it doesn't slip and twist it out. If it doesn't break loose, try tapping the wrench with a mallot, and try again. Maybe try some heat. If that doesn't work, don't mangle it up, take it to a gunsmith. Mark

4. PULL PULL

PULL PULL Member

Might try sticking the barrel in liquid wrench for a few days. If that doesnt do it. Try the hair dryer routine. Before I would use any great force. I would send it to a gunsmith, and pray.

5. birdogs

birdogs TS Member

Place the wrench in a vise and bring the barrel to the wrench. Turn the barrel notn the wrench.

6. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

Put some oil in a small pan and heat it up on the stove carefully w/the Bbl choke tube in oil about 4 inches of oil, set the pan on an old rug on the floor and lean the Bbl against a wll where it will not slide and spill the oil.

After letting it soak a few hours, wipe it off and try to get tube out, still stuck repeat the process.

I had this nhappen on a Ljutic Olympic rib, did the above and then put the Bbl in a protected vice, wrap the tube w/a leather belt. and then use a Pipe Wrench
    and I bet the weight of the pipe wrench will take out the tube.

Do the same using the choke tube wrench that fits the tube.

Once you get it out use a bore brush mounted in a drill soaked with oil run it a few seconds , flush and clean, repeat process several times until swab comes out clean

Then clean tube threads.

Used CMD grease on tube threads and around the tube, and reinstall tube.

Gary Bryant
    DR.longshot

7. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

Kroil from Brownell's

8. pumpernck

pumpernck Member

+1 for kroil. Spray it on the barrel end and let it sit for a day or so, then try to use the choke tube wrench to remove. The Kroil penetrates down to .0001" and will do the job.

9. Bob Schultz

Bob Schultz Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Kroil! Have used it for years. Works every time...so far. Soak overnight, apply a little heat with heat gun, remove choke.

Bob

10. lostandout

lostandout Member

kroil its the oil that creeps. best stuff ever

11. 22hornet

22hornet Well-Known Member

Yep...Kroil is your friend.

12. magyar

magyar TS Member

Thanks to all..Kroil worked perfectly

Bob

Thread Status: