1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

What should home made shot sell for?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Jim Porter, Oct 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jim Porter

Jim Porter Well-Known Member

No, you dummy I will not sell it for $2.00 a bag and pay the shipping!

I am about to the point that I can sell some home made shot. Looks like the base material (wheel weights) will cost the equilivent of $8.00 for 25# of finished shot. This does not include the melt down, dropping, and clean up and bagging cost. These are pretty minimal.

What would be a good going price that is fair to both buyer and seller?

2. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

$12 a 25# bag. That would be a great price for me. That's .50c/pound as opposed to $1.20/pound. Hey, you asked.---Matt

3. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

Scrap soft lead (plumbing pipe) is buying now for about 10¢-15¢ a pound and selling for about $1 a pound. Since a lot of HM shot it is made from wheel weights and a lot of those are free, I wouldn't expect to see it sold for more than what reclaimed shot sells for: about 90¢ - 92¢ a pound.

MK

4. Jim Porter

Jim Porter Well-Known Member

My friend you have not tried to get any wheel weights around this part of the world---THEY DEFINITELY AIN"T FREE!!!

5. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

The days of free wheel weights ended several years ago in South Georgia. I generally have to pay around $20.00 a bucket that will weight around 160 lbs but by the time you clean all the junk out you have around a hundred pounds or less of usable wheel weights. Jackie B.

6. himark

himark Well-Known Member

It is worth more than reclaimed but store bought is around 29 a bag here. I have been selling it for 20 a bag.

7. tallpaul

tallpaul Member

Both a friend of mine and I make shot. We have had this discussion several times, and have come to the conclusion that it is not worth it to sell. When you factor in your sweat equity, time, electricity and patience, it's better to just hang on to it and shoot it. I sold 50 pounds to a friend last year for $50 because he was in a fix and needed shot. I look back now and wish I had that shot back. Getting a good alloy mixture that will run well is getting more and more difficult to achieve. With wheel weights getting scarcer, and linotype becoming the next precious metal, you're better off just shelving it. There will come a day when you'll need shot, and you won't have any left, because it's just too damn hard to get the alloy to run. Then you'll regret giving all your shooting buds a good deal. If you have so much extra shot that you still think you want to sell it, I wouldn't go less than $1 a pound. When you consider commercial shot is going for $32+ a bag, and the fact that your shot hits targets just as hard, why go any less? If they think $25 a bag is too much, have them buy commercial...

8. BrowningGuy

BrowningGuy Member

Hey Jim us shooters up north might buy some, Tony 662-415-1686

9. phirel

phirel TS Member

Making was a hobby for me. It was fun and I never intended to make a profit. I did some estimates of my material/equipment costs/ time lost from my regular job and I estimated that it cost me around $100 a bag to make the stuff. I finally figured out that I could buy new shot for less than $100 a bag so I quit making it. But, it was fun to make both shot and the great mess I made while making the shot.

Pat Ireland

10. dverna

dverna Active Member

Jim,

I think you should be at about 75% of factory shot. Your quality will matter to some shooters. Especially the cheap bastards trying to get your price down. Beware of small bore reloaders - bridging can be a problem.

When they complain about the price - and they will - ask them how many tons of shot they have produced, and if they can offer any advice on getting cheaper lead or increasing production rate.

Go after the recreational shooters who shoot a couple of bags a month. They are shooting less to save money and "perfect" shot is less of a priority. $7 a bag is more important to them.

The serious shooters are less likely to get excited unless you produce excellent shot - in which case they will want 40-80 bags. They are more likely to pick it up and that saves lugging the stuff around.

Just my $.02

Don Verna

11. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Don---Your not far from what was in my mind. I would like some cheap lower quality shot for practice purposes only. There are days i'll go shoot 300 rounds just mess'n around. Wouldn't matter to me if was 7 1/2, 8, 8 1/2 mix.---Matt

12. DecalDude

DecalDude Active Member

Ok nobody has asked nwhat size is it supposed to be? ia it graphited?
    and I would pay $25 a bag shipped and take 4 bags 2 per flat rate box

Jerry lewis

13. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

I know some Mexicans that will pull the wheel weights off moving cars, they are fast. They are getting .05 cents per lb, and .10 cents a lb from trapshooters cars, .15 cents a lb from motor homes.

Run FORREST Run.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

14. kd185

kd185 Member

conniescomponents.com has new shot for $25.99 per bag
    maybe that give you an i dea what home made shot is worth

15. oletymer

oletymer Member

I bought 500 lbs of home made shot for $17.50 a bag. It is good shot and I would buy more but the guy quit shotmaking because of the lack of scrap lead.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.