1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

WHAT SHOTGUN WOULD YOU USE???????

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by senior smoke, Oct 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

HELLO:
    if you were in a war zone, & could only pick a shotgun to defend yourself, what shotgun would you choose? vic reinders told me years ago, that when he was training tail gunners in tx in wwll, he had equal amounts of model 12's and rem 31's. he said, the 31's outlasted the model 12's?? wasn't the 31 a great pumping gun, but wasn't the weak point the single action bar? so i repeat, what shotgun would you pick to defend your life if thats all you had to choose from in a war zone????
    thanks,
    steve balistreri

2. Steve-CT

Steve-CT TS Member

Given the circumstances you described above - my choice would be a Remington 870 from the 1960s to 1980s in very good shape. Why? Because the chambers and barrel surfaces were honed and function better than todays' models.

I have shot an 870 that had a broken action bar. It functioned as well as a Mossberg 500 or Ithaca 37 on the one bar.

I for one do not buy the story about the Mossberg 590-A1 being the "only" shotgun that could pass the 3,000 rd test. It was the only shotgun that could pass the 3,000 rd test at the lowest cost. (Many military units are still equipped with standard 500s anyway and the Marines still have plenty of 870s around)

I used to laugh to myself, when in the late 80s and early 90s the Mossberg ads featured the 590 atop a pile of fired hulls claiming the 3,000 rd torture test.
    3,000 rds? Hell, an 870 just about gets smooth at about 3,000 rds! I think I put close to 10,000 through mine the first year I shot trap before switching to an 1100

Rudy Etchen's 870 in the ATA museum had what? 500,000 rds through it? Maybe more? and is still shootable.

Looking at new guns from both Mossberg and Remington today make me cringe. They are all, stiff, unpolished, hard to operate and by accounts - unreliable!
    The finish has all the refinement of a cheese grater; the chambers are full of "tree rings" you can actually feel with your fingers; the bores are carmel haze dull and never seem to get clean and one out of three seem to actually shoot straight.

The new ribs on the Remington guns of 2006-2007 production can double as a field expedient saw if you need to cut firewood

Unheard of 30, 20 or even 10 years ago.

9 million 870s are made. There are more than a few bargains out there for field guns under $300 and trap guns under $500 in damn good shape.

3. gotbass

gotbass Member

Yep 870

4. Don Steele

Don Steele Well-Known Member

Ithaca Mod 37, and Rem 870 have both worked fine for me when I made that REAL choice..not just as a "what if".

5. Beancounter

Beancounter TS Member

Magpie - as you are signed into a trapshooting website, perhaps you would consider learning something about the great shooters who have gone before. In 1973, Vic Reinders put the half-millionth shell through the gun he always used, a Model 31. How many shells have you shot, have you ever been president of the ATA, have you ever taught others how to shoot, and how many times have you been on the AA trap team?

6. cole-mitchell

cole-mitchell TS Member

beretta or bennelli auto

7. Hipshot 3

Hipshot 3 TS Member

A JC Higgins 410....no question!

8. blizzard

blizzard Active Member

9. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

Winchester SX-1 with a 28 inch Cylinder bore barrel and a 14 round extended magazine. I don't want to be screwing around pumping a shotgun when some guy is running at me. A SX-1 with buckshot will jam or break just about as often as a Model 12 or an 870. Hell, It is even as reliable as Vic's old model 31 REMINGTON.

10. jackmitch

jackmitch TS Member

us mitchells must think alike i'd want something that cycled faster than i could so i could get more rounds in the air faster. a deer hunter friend of mine says fill the air with lead and something is bound to run into it. as poor a shot as i am i wouldn't last long anyway.

11. rjdden

rjdden TS Member

870 all the way!! Purchased one in 1971 sold it in 1985. It had over 40,000 logged shells shot through it with not a lick of gunsmithing to repair anything on it except I had a center post added on the V.R.barrel right when I purchased it.
    Rich.(inPeoria,A.Z.)

12. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

I'M with BarFin, under those circumstances, I want that one!! With several drums of ammo! Hap

13. HDLLLIII

HDLLLIII Member

I would use any shotgun that would accept one of those 1000 round drums.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.