1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

What shotgun to buy ??

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by geeber, Nov 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. geeber

geeber Member

A year from now I will be in a position to buy a new trap gun. I figure it's not to early to start researching. I owned a 682 Gold E 8 years ago and liked it. I shoot an 870 now and I do OK with it. I'm leaning toward a Kolar now. I thought about the Italian and European guns but, according to their ads, Kolar is made in the USA. That gets me to thinking, why, after all the buy american rhetoric I see on this site, are there so few Kolars being used. Do they have a problem of some kind? Please understand I'm not knocking anyones choice of shotgun, I'm just curious and appreciate honest replies.
    Thanks,
    Gary B.

2. RAScott

RAScott Member

Kolar, American Made 100%. go get fitted at the factory, and tour the factory. You will not be disapointed, if it is in your budget.

There are many great guns out there,But I like my kolar. Kolar's service is outstanding. I have delt with the owner and people that build them. If you ever have a question You talk to the peson that handles that part.

Bob S

3. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

Price. $7K+ is a lot of cash in these times. My son went looking for one at the Grand this summer. I had told him I thought they were in the 5-6 range. Wrongo. Nice looking gun though, but so is his 682 Gold Combo.

4. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

If I could get a Kolar for anywhere near the price of the 682s that I shoot, I would be shooting a Kolar. If you can afford the Kolar plus ammo and targets to go with it then by all means go for it.

5. dverna

dverna Active Member

The Kolar is a very good gun. I know two guys that have use them and they love it.

The only problem seems to be resale value. This is a plus if you find a used one.

Don Verna

6. blkcloud

blkcloud Active Member

Buy a Guerini, you wont be disappointed..

7. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

Save your money as you already shoot the best reliable gun for the best price.
    Steve Balistreri

8. geeber

geeber Member

Well, you guys have certainly given me some things to think about. I have concidered a Guerini. You are right Steve. I have always shot well with an 870 but I get a little self-conscience going to the line among all the nice new guns, although I broke a 99 last week with it and felt pretty proud of it.
    Thanks again,
    Gary B.

9. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

LJUTIC!!!!

10. k-gunguy

k-gunguy Member

Contact Doug at Shotgun Specialities,he is the best,Kolar is superb. I own 2 of them,and I have owned every major gun out their. Please send me an e-mail,or a pm and I will tell you why I now have Kolar's. Glenn

11. Recoil Sissy

Recoil Sissy Well-Known Member

geeber:

I suspect a few numbers from the Kolar Arms website will answer your "why don't I see more Kolars" question.

Max TS (Top Single) $7,500

Max Trap O/U $10,500

Max Trap combo $13,600

Of course, those prices include an adjustable comb and a hard case. I'm guessing the comb and case are probably worth more than your 870.

Speaking of your 870, why on earth would you be self-conscious about a gun you can break 99's with??

sissy

12. southjblue

southjblue Active Member

My choice would be a K-80 combo---There are some great used buys out there---You'll always get most $$$s back if you choose to resell and they are the most recoil forgiving---Hard to beat---MYSTIC---

13. ABH

ABH Member

Gary B,

You shot a 99 with your 870! I think your squad mates with the P & K guns are the ones that should be feeling a little self-conscious.But still,a new gun is soooooo tempting.Good shooting. Keep it up.

ART H.

14. phirel

phirel TS Member

I suggest that you buy the gun you shoot the best. The brand and style of the gun is secondary. The price of the gun is not a good measure of how well you will shoot the gun.

Pat Ireland

15. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

Kolar is probably a mighty fine gun.

I made a mistake one time and traded my Gold E in for a Kolar.

Sure wish I had that Gold E back after that.

Hauxfan!

16. shoot em all

shoot em all Member

plenty bait on water for trolling

17. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

Gary B:
    It is your money you can do what ever you want with it. Here's a true story about my 870TB. Back in the 80's I went to the grand in Ohio. I signed up to shoot Wednesday's 200 16 target event and I got squaded with 3 Texas oil men. They all had gold chains hanging from their necks, 2 to 3 gold rings with diamonds on both hands, and they looked like Sammy Davis Jr. with shotguns. I walk up to the squad with my 870 tb with almost all the bluing worn off, the stock all dented up, and a big chip out of the forend. One of the men asked me where I was from and I said Milwaukee. He said beer town? I said yes. He then said what the hell type of gun are you shooting? I said a Remington 870 TB. He laughed and said why don't you treat that gun to a bluing? I said it doesn't affect the way it shoots. I asked them what type of guns they were shooting? One had a San Remo grade with gold inlays, another a super crown grade Kreighoff, and the other a Perazzi SCO grade with gold inlays. All 3 guns had fantastic wood. After the first 100 I was ahead of their best shooter by 3 targets. I ended the 200 7 targets ahead of their highest man. I said nice shooting with you guys and started to walk away. The guy who originally asked me all the questions said" what did you say your gun was again"? I said a Remington 870 TB. He said to his other two friends " why don't we trade these sons of bit---s in on a semi full of these Remingtons as this young man just kicked all of our as--s! From that day on I have always taken pride of beating shooters with some awful nice guns. I admit it doesn't happen often, but when it does, it's really satisfying. I forgot that he asked me how much I originally paid for that 870? I told him $160.00, but if you want a monte carlo stock, it's $5.00 more. They roared with laughter, but I got the last laugh. Vic Reinders was a friend of mine, and old Vic always told me never worry about the guy with the spanking new gun with gold inlays and shinny bright bluing as he probably has not had the gun long enough to really know where it shoots. He said watch out for the gun with a work worn model 12, 31, or 870, and has maybe a little rust thrown in. He said usually those are the guys that have had the gun long enough to know how to shoot it. He said marry the gun like you would marry your wife. For the first twenty years I did not listen to Vic's advice, as it took me that long to realize Vic knew what he was talking about. End of story, enough said.
    Steve Balistreri

18. geeber

geeber Member

Holy cow! I was under the impression that a Kolar was in the same price range as the P and K guns. That's why I couldn't understand why there weren't more of them. I'm glad I have a year to decide. It looks like I have a lot of research to do. Art H, how did you know there were guys with P guns and K guns on my squad? You are right though. It was at the Silver Dollar. Not so good this week. Only 95. I'm sure I will still be confused a year from now.
    Thank you all for your opinions. I knew I could count on you guys for some good points to ponder.
    Gary B.

19. bobdog

bobdog Active Member

If you're thinking about a new European gun, buy it now if you can.

All politics aside, the Fed is beginning to dump $500 billion in new currency into the banking system, and the value of the dollar may plunge by as much as 20%. That means that the price of imports will go up by 20%. At the same time, personal incomes and personal net worth are staying flat or declining, and your tax burden is going to go up at the state and federal level. It almost has to, thanks to last year's spending spree in Washington. Not good news if you're on a fixed income or looking for work.

In short, the economic picture is bleak, last night's elections aside. Odds are pretty good you're going to be worse off a year from now compared to where you are right now.

I guess that's good for Kolar, bad for Perazzi and Krieghoff.

I'm just a little ray of sunshine, folks, but I think it's the truth.

20. goose2

goose2 Well-Known Member

Art H, I am a Kolar shooter and I personally wouldn't own anything else. There isn't a better gun or a better looking gun made. As you well know, I can shoot 97,98 and 99 all day long with it. So be proud of a 99 with a BT 99 because it's just another day at the park when I shoot 97 and above with my Kolar.
    The choice is yours and talk is cheap but do yourself a favor and make sure what ever you are so proud of owning it fits.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.