1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

What shotgun for woman - new shooter

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by BigSkiff, Jul 24, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BigSkiff

BigSkiff Member

What would you start a female shooter out on, 12gauge or something smaller? This question assumes that the stock will be properly fit. This would be for someone that has never shot a shotgun before.

My though is that if the gun fits properly that recoil is not really an issue and therefore a 12 gauge is a better choice than a 20 for trapshooting. I'd like to hear what y'all think and how you would go about choosing a shotgun for a woman that has never shot before?

Thanks - Bob

2. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Can't go wrong with a Browning BT 99 in 12ga with adjustable comb and a adjustable butt pad. Have someone help set it up for her. Use 1oz loads and recoil will not even be an issue. Don't waste your time with the 20ga. Light 12ga loads will shoot just as soft and give her more chance at breaking the targets.

3. capvan

capvan Active Member

I went for an 1100 in 12 gauge for my wife. Virtually no recoil and she really enjoys shooting it. Price was reasonable as well. A Jack West stock and she is all set.

I've never understood why people start new shooters with a 20 gauge. That's just a handicap for a new shooter. Shooting won't be "fun" unless the target breaks on a fairly regular basis. Which it won't with a 20 gauge. Light loads is the key.

cap

4. Tom Strunk

Tom Strunk Well-Known Member

As stated above be sure and only let her shoot one ounce loads. The BT-99 or 100 is an excellent choice, very simple to operate. Let her spit the empties, don't have her try to save anything in the beginning. Make it fun and she'll continue.

Also have her shoot at a pattern board or plate, then she can see where the pellets go when she puts the bead on the bird.

Tom Strunk

5. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Go with an autoloader...stay away from the BT's as they do tend to bang the shooter somewhat....if later she wants a breakdown, buy her a decent gun.

Curt

6. Caribou woodland

Caribou woodland Member

I got my wife a Beretta Teknys very confertable,easy to clean and nice gun.She his new shooter and very happy whit it.Did a 20 whit 1 oz load.
    Be sure to fit any gun,LOP cut if she need.
    Welcome to Miss or Mrs
    Salutations
    Pierre

7. 525Shooter

525Shooter Member

Beretta 3901 RL Target. Semi-auto with low recoil and the "RL" stands for reduced length. The gun is designed for women, kids and smaller statured people. The stock is a monte carlo with an adjustable comb. It is adjustable with shims for cast and such. It may also come with different sized pads to adjust the lenght of pull. I is a 12 gauge but a really nice shooter.

8. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

In the end, make your recommendations, BUT LET HER pick the gun.

If it isn't what she chooses, she's just as likely to let it rust in the gun cabinet as use it.

9. headhunter

headhunter Well-Known Member

look at a winchester Super x model 1 trap.

10. JohnR

JohnR Active Member

I picked my wife up a Browning BPS Micro Trap when she showed interest in shooting,she's pretty small. Had Rod's Custom Stocks put a soft adjustable comp on it, excellent job. She shoots 1oz loads and really enjoys shooting it, never complains of recoil.Keep asking her if she wants another gun and she says she likes the one she's got.

John

11. kraiza

kraiza Active Member

My wife shoot a Joel Etchen 687 Beretta comb. Nice gun low recoil for her. The BT99 just didn't fit and recoil to much. Good gun but not for her.

12. dverna

dverna Active Member

Try before you buy if at all possible. Stay with the 12 and reload. If necessary, start with 7/8 oz loads @ 1100 fps. Move up from there.

Been there, done that.

Don Verna

13. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Just take her to the local Krieghoff K-80 dealer and have her fitted with the very best. You only live once!!

14. Limpy100

Limpy100 Member

Big skif; If they ever made a better gun than a bt99 plus I don't know what it might be.Try one it is great for most women.

15. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

I started my wife in 1980 with a new 1100 TB trap with a 30" fixed full step rib barrel and 1 oz. loads. She really enjoyed the 1100 and shot it for several years until she was no longer able to shoot due to neck issues unrelated to shooting.

She had never shot a shotgun before and shot it well right out of the box She even won a trophy in a club shoot and often broke 23's and 24's.

A key issue is gun fit and the 1100 fit my wife to a "T". She is about 5 feet seven inches and average weight, arm length and has a very pretty neck. She started out shooting with both eyes open and never looked at the beads. She would say, "I just look at the target, shoot and it breaks."

Whatever gun you select, and BT99's are great with light loads, make sure that the shooter is comfortable with the gun.

We paid $252 for the 1100 new in 1980 and it is worth at least twice what we paid for it. It absolutely smokes 16 yard targets. I won a several turkey matches with it years ago shooting 3 dram 7 1/2 Federal Papers at 35 - 40 yards behind the trap house.

I still shoot it from time to time and hope that she will shoot with me again some day.

Ed Ward

16. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

You can pick up a nice Beretta or Remington Auto (less recoil) for a good price and they will serve her well until she is ready to move into a single barrel or over under ... The Berettas usually have choke tubes so she can use that to her advantage when starting out ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

17. BAD 303

BAD 303 Active Member

A gas operated auto is the only way to go. Little recoil and very affordable to get started. Plus they can be fitted with much less expense.

18. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

I'll always agree that the BT-99 Plus is the ideal starting gun for most women. Trouble is finding a good used one. I've also found many women are beat in the face by semi-autos and the SX-1 has a poorly designed grip. Most women prefer the most basic and safest design-that means Browning!!

19. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Started my daughter with an 1100, and after 10 years, that is what she still shoots.

20. Wthomas

Wthomas Member

My wife is 4'11" and the beretta 3901 makes a perfect gun for her. With the additional spacers, the gun is adjustable to fit some of the other ladies that we have come out occasionally with little or no experience shooting experience. With 7/8 oz loads, it is virtually recoil free. Her back-up is an 1100, again very little recoil.

Bill Thomas

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.