1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

What shell do you reload?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by xringjim, Mar 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. xringjim

xringjim TS Member

Many people think that there are only 3 or 4 shells worth reloading. AA's, STS's, Fed paper and Remington gun clubs. This thread is for those that wish to disclose the shells they reload and how many reloads they're getting out of them. Come on, lets hear from you. Any findings only can help us cut our costs. Jim

2. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

My go to hull has been the Remington hull for the last 8 years. I get between 6-10 loads out of them (the hotter the load the less times they are reloaded) before they hit the ground.

Lately I've been reloading a bunch of Winchester AA HS hulls, as one and outs, because I got them for free. I'm about half way through the 5000 once fired freebies.

I still prefer the Remingtons.

ss

3. OGC Director

OGC Director TS Member

I reload Nitro's, STS's, and Gun Clubs. I get on av. 7 reloads per hull.

Rich in Indiana

4. waverider

waverider Well-Known Member

I am almost at the bottom of my stash of the old Win AA one piece compression formed hulls. I have been building up a stash of Rem STS/Nitro hulls. I shoot new shells in competition if there are trophies or money to be won. Still have a bunch of Federal Gold Medal ribbed and a bunch of smooth. The Federals are not as efficient as the tapered hulls, but at one time I got a deal from a distributor who was willing to drop shipped a few small 50 flats orders.

I really do not keep track of how many times I reload my hulls. I load 500 shells and keep reloading them, culling any with pin holes or splits any were, until I am down to the last 100. I then throw those away and start a new lot of 500 once fired hulls. I would guess 8 to 10 times.

5. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

STS, Old AA and Remington Premier (RTL)...

regards all,

Jay

6. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

Empty ones

7. xringjim

xringjim TS Member

Alf, that was funny. You cracked me up. Jim

8. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

Remington any kind. I never load a hull more than five times.

Bob Lawless

9. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Mostly Federal Top Gun & Estates, reload once and discard.

Gold Medal's, 3 to 4 times.

Curt

10. JohnR

JohnR Active Member

I reload the AA HS and any of the Remington's,Gunclub,STS or Nitro. I use Green or Blue Duster wads and have my press set so I can switch hulls without making any changes. The Remington Gunclub and the grey AA last the longest for me while the red AA i only get on the average 3 reloads from.

John

11. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

Gun Clubs, Nitro's, AA's for most shooting. 4-6 reloads.

Federal Gold Medal for handicap and back-fence loads. 2-3 reloads. Wayne

12. Chichay

Chichay TS Supporters TS Supporters

STS, Nitros and AAs; 4-6 reloads. Chichay

13. dhg

dhg TS Member

Try the Peters blue hull with white lettering, 8 to 10 reloads .

14. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

I reload the old AA, Nitros, STS, and Gun Clubs all the same with 7 1/2 shot. I load Federals for doubles with 8 1/2 shot. I have no idea how many reloads I get per hull. Just keep loading em until they look bad.

15. missemucho

missemucho Member

Any Remington hull 5 0r 6 times depending on how they look, except for the black ones; I gave up trying to wear them out and throw them away out of embarrassment around the 10 mark.
    John

16. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

STS, green and gold

17. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

Remington STS's & Nitro 27's (green & gold). I really don't keep track of how many times I reload 'em, 7 sounds reasonable? I just reload 'em 'til they split at a crimp fold.

John C. Saubak

18. k810329

k810329 Member

im getting 2 reloads from estates.about a year ago i reloaded the same estate shells 5 times and they held up well but i have a good supply of them so why push my luck.

19. snglfoot

snglfoot Member

Win AA (gray & red), STS & Gold Metal. Gray AA's, only for pratice (don't get a good crimp, hole in the middle) and they have habit of spliting just above the base. Red's, don't know how many times (ran out of room to mark on base). Rem's, for ever. I loaded some that was starting to split at the crimp, and still came out with a good shell (pratice only). Unlimited supply of old Red AA's, on hand.
    Norman

20. Conn. Man

Conn. Man Member

I load nothing but STS,s and Nitro's.I load all with Remington 209 primer's and Remington Figure 8 wads.There gonna do everything i want my shells to do,the rest is up to me to place that load in the right spot!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Oh yah,1- 1/8oz of shot!!!!.I reload them about six times then to the dumpster!!!!.

Sandy Holehouse.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.