1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

What shell catcher for an 1100?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Bruce Em, Dec 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bruce Em

Bruce Em Member

Bought that 1100 as a surprise christmas present for the kid and out of consideration for our other shooters, I need to know what is the recommended shellcatcher.

thanks!

2. motordoctor

motordoctor Shoji Tabuchi in Branson

contact me for a good used snap on one. 8 bucks including the shipping motordoc joe1234@ameritech.net

3. oletymer

oletymer Member

T&S has a snap on either steel or plastic, the Morton and Birchwood Caseys are hokey contraptions.

4. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

I have a new T&S I'd sell for $5.00 and $1.50 postage.

Whiz

5. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

<a href="http://photobucket.com" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>, birchwood casey, works great for me. Plus did not leave wear marks on reciever like TS shell catcher.

6. TomB

TomB Member

bruce em......Email me and I'll tell you how to shoot singles without a shell catcher by removing the extracter. Tom B

7. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

Use the plastic version if you go the snap-on type... they're easy on the blueing.

Guy Babin

8. perazzitms

perazzitms TS Member

The T&S is the simplest.

If you have a trap barrel with the deflector stud, you need the METAL one for 1100.

If you have a field or target barrel with NO deflector, you need the PLASTIC one.

9. Robb

Robb Member

perazzitms, why does it matter which barrel? i thought you could use plastic or metal although the plastic ones don't look as nice.

10. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

You can have the barrel drilled and a wire installed to catch the hulls. It's simple and it does not mar the bluing like the snap on styles. If using a snap on T&S, use the plastic one or put some tape on the inside of the metal one to prevent the bluing from getting damaged.

11. roger8918

roger8918 Member

T&S plastic

12. R. Hausburg

R. Hausburg TS Member

The birchwood Casey wire unit is held in place with two sided tape. Works fine until you clean the gun.. solvent gets under the tape causing it to come loose. I kept a supply of tape, changing it often. Finally gave up and went to the plastic clip on. I have found no damage to the bluing now over 6 months. Ray

13. DocJim

DocJim Member

I second Quack Shot's post. Drilling the barrel extension won't be much more expensive than some of the clip-on and tape-on models and there is no way it will mar the receiver finish. Snaps out easily for doubles...............Jim G

14. perazzitms

perazzitms TS Member

The stud in the barrel extension means there is slightly less clearance between the top of the ejection port and the bottom. The plastic can not be made thin enough to allow for enough clearance for the hull to fit through. Therefore, for this barrel, it's made of metal. With no stud, the thicker plastic can be used.

Of course, with the stud, or even just a spot of silver solder in the right place, there's no need for a catcher unless you just don't want to pick up the hulls. I had one with the stud and it would knock them down a few feet in front of you.

15. skarloey

skarloey TS Member

I use a plastic T&S with my 1100 Classic Trap. I sanded the top edge of it a bit to make the bolt handle pass over it, otherwise it would catch. It works for me.

16. DocJim

DocJim Member

I too have used the T&S and have found that it is not unusual for a hull to "get away" and be ejected from the gun requiring a pick-up. This NEVER happens with the "piano wire" installation. I wouldn't have any other arrengement.

Jim

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.