1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

What scores a hit?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by tomc66, Feb 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tomc66

tomc66 Member

I live in a retirement community and we recently set up our own trap range. My question is: If the pellets from the shot just "dust" the target is this considered a hit or must the target be broken into more than one piece?

2. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

One visible piece is necessary to score a hit. HMB

3. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

piece= dead

dust= loss

4. 100straight

100straight Member

I've always wondered.... isn't dust really small pieces of the target? and just exactly how big do those pieces have to get to be considered a "piece." I shoot at one club where they routinely call dusted targets "broken." I have heard people ask why and the response is always the same. "There must be small pieces leaving the target to create dust, so dust is a visible piece." Other clubs say you must have a "chip" from the target, but no one has ever defined how big that "chip" has to be to count.

Shoot well and often,

Mark.

5. Hivoltfl

Hivoltfl Member

I wanna shoot at the club that calls dust a dead target, my average would go up some, not a lot but some.

Rick

6. highflyer

highflyer TS Member

My understanding is a piece. If you have very good eyes you will see a lot of targets get dusted by a pellet that don't break. If I am keeping score that is a lost target. If you go look at targets on the ground, if the ground is soft enough, you will see a lot of these targets.

7. perga1

perga1 Active Member

If dust is a collection of very small pieces then shouldn't the remaining large piece that is still in the air be called the chip? How about it Pat Ireland? JRM

8. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

From the rule book:

SECTION VII

OFFICIAL SCORING

B. BROKEN OR DEAD TARGET

A target (called “Dead”) is one that is fired upon and has a visible broken piece from it, or one that is completely reduced to dust. The referee/scorer shall record a target dead when it is broken in the air.

C. LOST TARGET

The referee/scorer shall rule, “LOST”:

1. When the contestant fires and fails to break the target whether missed completely or when only dust falls from it. A “Dusted Target,” is a target from which there is a puff of dust, but no perceptible piece is seen; it is not a dead target; or

2. When a whole target appears promptly after a contestant’s recognizable command and is within the legal limits of flight and the contestant voluntarily does not fire; or

3. When an illegal target, a freak target, or a target of a markedly different color is fired at and missed. A contestant may refuse illegal, freak or off-colored targets, but if he/she fires at the target the result must be scored; or

4. When a contestant voluntarily withdraws from, or is otherwise disqualified, and takes no further part in a sub-event after having fired at 1 or more targets of a sub-event and does not fire at all the targets in the sub-event, the referee/scorer shall rule all targets not fired upon “LOST” targets and they shall be scored and reported accordingly. When the shooter is prevented by reasons beyond his/her control from completing a sub-event, the scores for that partial sub-event shall not be recorded or reported. Example: shooters have shot 61 targets of a 100-target event when a storm permanently stops shooting. The management should report the scores for the first 50 targets only; or

5. When a score sheet is delivered to the office with one or more targets that are not properly scored either “DEAD” or “LOST,” they shall be scored as “LOST” targets by shoot management; or

6. When a contestant deliberately fires at the same target twice in Doubles Events. This rule is not applicable to a gun “doubling” or “machine-gunning”, see Rule VII, D., 3.; or

7. When a commonly called “soft load” occurs, and the shot is fired but no part of the over powder wad or shot remains in the barrel and the target is missed. A soft load where the over powder wad or shot remain in the barrel shall be deemed a “Failure to Fire” and the “Failure to Fire” Rules apply.

9. M R Ducks

M R Ducks Member

My peeve is a target that gets hit, but doesn't break right away. I've had and seen targets called a loss that broke in half or in thirds before they hit the ground.

10. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

M R

It doesn't happen often, but I've seen that too. Should be called dead since it broke before it got to the ground.

11. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Yeah, M R Ducks, you described a dead bird. Whenever scoring I always hesitate a little more than most others watching for that occurrence and take some flack for not calling faster. That's my way and I'll stick to it.....breakemall....Bob Dodd

12. M R Ducks

M R Ducks Member

I know it's a dead bird - but someone other than the shooter has to see it happen to count. Wish everyone called like Mr. Dodd.

Joe

13. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Remington targets started to do that and lost favor among shooters and clubs. Some even fell apart and weren't hit at all. They were called dead by the rules but shouldn't have.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.