1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

What scale to buy?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by kraiza, Dec 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kraiza

kraiza Active Member

I'm looking to get a new scale for reloading. I want a RCBS ChargeMaster 1500 or the 10-10 balance beam. I can't deside what one. I'm leaning to the 1500 only because it would be faster to use then the balance beam.
    I had a older balance beam that got damage when moving.
    I could get both the 1500 and a 505. But that would be a waist of money or would it?

2. atashooter

atashooter Member

I use a beam. I do alot of High Power rifle reloading, ( 100-250 cartridges a week ) and have found that digitals are senitive enough to be effected by air currents whent heat or air kicks on, florescent lights, and my breath when I breathe. Unless damaged by some major accident, beams maintain their accuracy. Mine is a Ohaus D5 made in 1964, and still as accurate today as then. It is identical to a RCBS 502.

3. BarryA

BarryA Member

I've sent you a private message (PM)regarding scales.

Barry

4. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

You can't do any better than this scale.

Let me tell you a story. About a month ago I was reloading a bunch of processed (primer pocket swaged) milsurp .30-06 brass on my Dillon 550. After I had loaded about 75-80 rounds, much to my delight, I noticed that the decapping pin was missing. Now I was staring at pulling down all of the loaded rounds (I do have a collet puller). Instead I got a spare decapping pin out and weighed it on my 8 year old Pact scale. It weighed 7 grains. I then rapidly weighed each of the loaded rounds and naturally somewhere near the bottom of the pile was one that was around 7-8 grains heavy. I put it in my kinetic puller and sure enough the decapping pin came out with the bullet and powder. As it turned out, one particular brand of brass I was loading (think it was PMC) had a tight flash hole, and guess what? it happened again. This time the pile of loaded rounds was smaller and the Pact narrowed it down to 2 rounds, the second of which I hammered out had the decapping pin in it.

Of course you could do this with a beam balance, but what time are we talking here? The few times I've run my powder measure dry on my SL900, the Pact has come to the rescue (although with shotgun shells you will have a larger group of "possibles"). It will handle the weight of loaded rounds immediately without playing with the weights, you don't have to wait on it stop or begin equal swing, and if you're concerned about calibration, check it against your old dust collector over on the corner of your loading bench. Yeah, it's sensitive and will dance around in the wind, find a place for it or baby it for the minute or minute and a half you're using it. Occasionally people have even bought a Pact with a troublesome load cell in it. And I have seen times when fluorescent lighting seemed to be bothering it, but these times are rare. I still have my old Webster SR-1 from the '60s sitting on the bench that I use to check calibration, but my PACT hasn't needed it yet. I don't work for these people, I don't even live in Texas, but I know a good product when I have one. Get the $130 model and a cheap beam balance for backup. There's probably a dozen beam balances on Ebay right now. Good luck.

5. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

I have been using an old 10-10 for years. I would probably like an electronic scale to sort bullets with, or to check charges quickly.

(Santa didn't bring me a Chargemaster)

HM

6. pendennis

pendennis Well-Known Member

My primary is a Dillon Terminator, that I've had for about a year. It does the trick. My back-up, which I've had for a long time is an RCBS 5-0-5. Both are great scales, but the Dillon is a lot more handy.

Best,
    Dennis

7. WoodsonEnt

WoodsonEnt Active Member

Kraiza,

Sent you a PM.

Matt - Woodson Enterprises

8. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

A quick way to check your scale's accuracy, toss a new dime on it....it should weigh 35 grains!

9. RogerNRA

RogerNRA TS Member

I have been useing the same RCBS balance beam scale since 1964. Never really felt the need to change. I use it for rifle, pistol, and to check shotgun powder drops.............Roger

10. MAL-53

MAL-53 Member

I use a Pact digital scale and a RCBS 1010. No problems with either one, for years. ML

11. kraiza

kraiza Active Member

Thank guy for youe input. I went to Cabela's today and got a ChargeMaster 1500. I think I did ok. If I don't like it for $70 more I can get a balance beam scale.
    I can tell you something. When you go buy a new state of the art scale there are a lot to choose from. You guys helped a lot.

12. james25889

james25889 Member

i use the rcbs 10-10 and love it

13. WoodsonEnt

WoodsonEnt Active Member

Kraiza,

Sent you another PM.

Matt - Woodson Ent.

14. phirel

phirel TS Member

Balance beam scales work well but they are slow. I use an electronic PACT scale, and because of its speed and connivance, I will test more powder drops.

Pat Ireland

15. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I love the balance scales - I have an Ohaus triple beam dial a grain. The dial a grain is very quick and as accurate as thet come. My electronic Pact is ok but I just don't trust it enough. The dial o grains can be found on Ebay but as of late they are selling for $250 give or take.

16. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

I find myself going back to my 505 just because I trust it. I bought a elcheapo digi on ebay....I must say it has been working great. I do not think it would be good for match type loadings, but it is great for quick check of powder drops here and there. Im constantly checking my digi to beam. I have a spent primer that wieghs 14 grains on my beam...thus far it is 14 grains on digi.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.