1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

What reloader to buy???

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Tydaws, Apr 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tydaws

Tydaws Member

I am looking at buying my first shotshell reloader. I have used an old Texan progressive loader, that belonged to my grandfather, so I am familiar with the process. I have also been loading rifle ammo for about 10 years. My wife and I have relocated so I no longer have access to the Texan. I was thinking about the MEC 600 Jr. I shoot about 150 to 250 rounds of 12ga per week at my local gun club. Also, has anyone done the math on how much you actually save by reloading shotshells? Just looking for some suggestions. Thanks.
    Ty

2. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

Ty: On the Ts.com home page you will find a reloading cost calculator. As far as a reloader; I would try and find a MEC Grabber. The 600Jr is OK if you do not shoot a lot. However, if you were going to shoot a flat a week, (250 rounds), you will soon tire of the 600 Jr. If you look around you can find a used Grabber at a decent price. JMHO. Good Luck. Ed

3. OldGoat

OldGoat Well-Known Member

esoxhunter is right on..... MEC Grabber Regards, Ed

4. Bentley998

Bentley998 Member

PM sent

5. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

The Grabber is clearly the best bang-for-the-buck for the weekender. Others are more to way more expensive and require a lot more shooting to justify. Don't worry much about "saving money." The components right now are in a price flux and it's not known where it will all come to rest. Your approach should be loading to cook up a preferred shell for your use. If loading will be a chore or treated as something you have to do I'd recommend just buying cheap shells and skip loading your own.....Bob Dodd

6. Tydaws

Tydaws Member

Thanks for the input. There are used grabbers on ebay within my price range. I may try to pick one up. Bentley, I am new to this forum and I checked my PMs and it says I have none. I don't know if it takes a while to recieve them or if I am doing something wrong.

7. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

+1 on the Grabber. Even a used one.

http://sporting-goods.shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=grabber&_sacat=31823&_trksid=p3286.m270.l1313&_odkw=reloading&_osacat=31823&bkBtn=

8. Tydaws

Tydaws Member

What is the difference between the grabber and the 650?

9. msmith

msmith Member

I would go with a Mec 9000g. Easy to use, easy to service and parts are simple to get. Mike

10. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Tydaws,

The Grabber has a resizing collet and the 650 doesn't.

ss

11. glenns

glenns Member

I've used a MEC 9000G since Sept 2009 and love it. I previously used a MEC 600jr but I only could load about 50-75 shells an hour. I can do 350-400 shells an hour with the 9000G.

I bought my 9000G here on TS.com for $325. If you put an ad to buy one I'm sure you'll get replies.

12. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

The 9000G MEC would be my second choice for beginners in that it moves the shell platform automatically rather than the Grabber requiring the operator to move it at his choice of time. I like to see beginners use the non-automatic Grabber first and then, should they feel a need for more and faster, move to the 9000 series loader. This also prevents the newbie deciding later that this loading business is not for him and he has the extra cash tied up in the more expensive model. That said, however, I've had folks I've counseled go directly to a 9000G or hydraulic and go right to work without issues. Again, moving up to Ponsness Warrens, Dillons, and beyond will require a lot more cash outlay and the shells can't tell the difference when loaded......Bob Dodd

13. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

I agree with Bob Dodd. A person does not have a lot of $$ tied up in a Grabber. When they want to sell it for whatever reason; they will not lose a lot of $$. Most importantly, for a person new to reloading, THEY have to manually move the turret. With the 9000 it is done automatically and can cause a lot of confusion. (PLUS a big MESS). JMHO. Ed

14. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Ty, The 600 Jr. or the (sizemaster, will give better resizing on the hull) will work just fine for you. Only problem is the it takes almost a hour to reload l00 shells. They will reload one of the best shells you can make. There is only a small chance of making a big mess with these single stage machines. Skip the 650 as it does not resize well and only as a seperate operation that just takes to long for a progressive. Next is the Grabber this loader will load just over 200 shells nicely in a hour. Will make very good loads, but can make a very big mess with shot and powder all over the place. they can also not drop primers from time to time, and not drop enough or any powder from time to time if you start to go to fast. There are around 3 times more adjustments on the grabber than the single stages that need to be set correctly. You can load all kinds of different shells easily on a single stage, but if you load a progressive machine you really need to load one type of shell only. Hope this helps you out. Break-em all. Jeff

15. mjsweims

mjsweims Member

If you're loading 12 or 20 ga and don't have special loads you can buy cheap Federal or Winchester target loads at Walmart for about the same as reloading.
    On the other hand if you want to experiment with loads to get someting your comfortable with, or want to do it for enjoyment then reload.
    Jack

16. ricks1

ricks1 TS Member

One answer to your question The grabber is manuel index AND you can change gauges the 9000 is auto, you can change too BUT they dont sell the conversion so you have to buy the parts. In any case all mecs you can use the universal charge bar The grabber is good I have both the 9000s and one 410 grabber and for 410 its the only way to go

17. acorange

acorange Well-Known Member

The grabber is a great reloader or you could run into a old 650 with a resizer
    but the extra time resizing is about as fast as a 600.
    If you end up loading on a 600 get a automatic primer feed, this will REALLY speed things up with the old 600jr.

18. bt 99

bt 99 TS Member

Hi All---The Mec grabber is the way to go, progresive, simply insert hull and pull handle. They are rated at 500 shell's per hour and they do not seem to wear out. Had to put in a used spring in about 20 years. I am seting here looking at mine now, I just can not figure out why i am not reloading and shooting????? Steve

19. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

I didn't read all the posts here but I would go with in order Mec 650, Mec 9000g. Get a loader with a resizer. That is a must. Both are great reloader for a shooter like your self. Easy to work with and easy to get parts. I started with a Mec 600 then a Mec 650 then a Mec 9000G. I started reloading in 1974.

20. Pull Bang

Pull Bang Member

Go with the Grabber. I have been using one since 1987 and it is still going strong. I load approximately 20,000 rounds a year.

On the average I load 100 rounds in 12 minutes. This includes: adding 100 primers, topping off the powder and shot bottles and boxing the finished shell with the Mec Easy-pack.

The Grabber = one pull on the handle = one finished shell out.

You can see all the Mec products on the URL above. Also, you can compare the on-line pricing with a used one from E-bay etc.

Good luck.

Frank

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.