1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

WHAT RELOADER TO BUY

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by WOOG12, Sep 4, 2013.

1. WOOG12

WOOG12 TS Member

I'M GOING TO BUY A PROGRESSIVE RELOADER WHAT SHOULD I BUY

2. APrice

APrice Active Member

Spolar

3. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

If you can't afford a Spolar ... then buy a PW 800+

4. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

SPOLAR WITH HYDRAULICS

5. shootnair

shootnair Member

I have a mec 9000h, p&w 800b, and a RCBS grand. All used, all progressive, all 12 ga. if your interested in one. The grand and the p&w are built like tanks,slower,manual presses, but consistent. The mec 9000h (hydraulic) is fast, made w lighter materials,and more issues. These are just my opinions of my experience.

6. Border Bandit

Border Bandit Well-Known Member

One plus on the side of the P/W+ is the ability to switch to another gage. Their acessory electric drive unit is tops, and in fact the one that is used on the spolar machines. I'm loading 15k 12ga shells a year with very few problems. Sure minor things break, but a call to Whiz White has stuff on the way the same day. Speed? ...I typically load a flat of shells in 30 min. Then box & replenish.

Bst...mike

7. threedeuces

threedeuces TS Member

First choice would be a Spolar. Second choice would be a Spolar and the third choice would be a Spolar. I guess you get it. I have had them all and there is only one to load on.
    Good luck with your choice.

8. Ljutic111

Ljutic111 TS Member

9. August1940

August1940 Active Member

I've had a mec grabber, won't ever do the mec thing again.

Now I have the RCBS Grand, and I am happy with it. Built like a tank, few small parts to wear out or break, but nothing major. Parts are free, customer tech support is good.

Had mine since 2003, so the price is way more than I paid, but still way less than Spolar, not sure about the PW prices, but I think the Grand is a good way to go .

My 2 cents worth.

August

10. 7mag

7mag Well-Known Member

I used a mec 9000g for 20 years. Bought a spolar with hydraulics this year can't believe how hard it is to go back and pull the handle on that mec.

11. thunder

thunder Active Member

Mec best bang for the dollar spent. Use the rest on reloading supplies.

12. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

13. DaveXT

DaveXT Member

I started with a Mec 9000. It made nice loads and was easy to understand. Soon after I found a PW800+ like new for $400. It makes the Mec feel like a toy. Money no object....Spolar. Great loader and solid build.....PW800+. Budget buy....Mec.

Dave

14. Perazzi_MX8

Perazzi_MX8 Well-Known Member

Hornady 366. I have had mine since 1976 and have loaded many thousands of shells with it. No problems other than wearing out a few plastic wad fingers and rubber seals for the shot and powder bushings. The whole concept of reloading is to save money and I question just how many shells need to be reloaded before a Spolar actually saves you a dime? My 2 cents.

15. nanuk

nanuk TS Supporters TS Supporters

Well,how much are you going to reload--3k or 25k year? How much would you like to spend ? If your really into it, buy a spolar and get going. If your not sure, get a mec grabber/hustler (if you can't handle the manual work) and load lots of nice shells at a reasonably fast pace and not spend a ton of money.
    regards
    Bob

16. Spanky

Spanky Active Member

I've been reloading my 12ga. shells on two MEC 9000's for years. Never thought about getting anything else. No reason to for that matter. My reloads are as good or better than anyone's out there. Have been reloading some sub-gauge on manual Sizemasters MECs but wouldn't hesitate to buy a progressive 20 ga. or 28 ga. if I thought I needed to run faster.

17. Gamba Man

Gamba Man Active Member

Hornady 366

18. Hill topper

Hill topper Member

It really depends on your budget.

The second concern is how many shells are you expecting to reload.

What is your level of mechanical ability? Some loaders need some tinkering to keep them operating.

Do you have any physical problems, like shoulder pain,
    If so you should consider a loader with hydralic or electrical operating system

The simplist Mec progressive is the 650 but it doesn't resize.
    I use a 366 and a mec 650, in twelve gauge a Mec grabber in 20 gauge.
    All do a fine job for me.

It would be good to test drive some different loaders before spending your money.

ed.

19. ArmyMechanic

ArmyMechanic Member

PW 800+ JMHO

20. shotgunner

shotgunner Member

If you really enjoy tinkering with your loader to fix a never ending list of issues then the Mec 9000 is the way to go. It takes the boredom out of loading. It also saves on your shot consumption since you will only get about half the shells loaded that you intended to do when you sat down to load due to hiccups. It also helps me with anger management because after loading on it for a few minutes I've cursed it to the extent that I have no negative energy left for anyone else.

If you like the boring uninterrupted monotony of shells flowing out the discharge chute of your loader then you might be happy with a Spolar.