1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

What Reloader Is Likely to Throw a Double Charge?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by rick979, Sep 27, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rick979

rick979 Active Member

In your experience which brand of reloader is most likely to throw a "double charge" of powder and/or shot?

2. GSPBirdDog

GSPBirdDog TS Member

In my opinion a Ponsness Warren reloader is one of the finest reloaders on the market.I own one and have one for sale currently and will probably buy another one in the future.But due to the design of the press having a gear designed powder/shot dispensing system, if the "___OPERATOR___" doesn't pay attention and restrokes the press before it indexes, the press will throw a double charge.Ponsness Warren clearly states this in their reloading manuals as a warning.

3. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

The question should be, which reloader operator is likely to throw a double charge. Some people have no business reloading. No loader will throw a double charge. It takes two pulls of the handle.

4. pyrdek

pyrdek Well-Known Member

Jerry P,

You beat me to exactly what I was going to reply so I will will have to second
    opur statement.

Any machine being operated by an incompetent, distracted or careless operator is a potential risk.

5. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

Any loader where the shells are moved in and out of the press by hand and not paying attention to the process can double charge.

6. K-GUNS

K-GUNS Member

Keep in mind...any time you see too much shot coming out of the shell before it gets crimped,or shot spilling out MEANS you most likely have not only too much shot but also a double charge of powder, only you can't see the powder. Many reloaders see the shot spill but forget to check the powder charge.

7. dolphin62

dolphin62 Member

The one that the operator allows it to

8. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

It is impossible to throw a double charge of powder with a Mec Sizemaster press. HMB

9. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

The loader that does throw double charges the the person who is loading. If he does not watch what he is doing when a shell is damnaged will not notice he left the other hull in the powder stage twice. I have done that myself, it happens.

10. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

I find it very difficult to double charge on Mec 9000, I tried, it needs manually unclick the plate and rotate the plate backward to do it. Correct me if I'm wrong, I'm not reloading it very much.

11. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

It can happen, powder charge gets hung up in drop tube, then double charge falls in shell following shell with no powder in it. If you see a finnished shell with a dished in crimp it is time to check the following shell. HMB

12. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

You are reloading a primer does not go out of the drop tube, the primer does not go in the primer hole or the hull, a hull is crushed. You have to replace the hull or fix the primer problem and you don't let the system turn. You forget aboiut the powder stage on that hull. It happens I have done it.

13. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

If the reloader has thrown a double charge of powder or shot you will notice it on the finished shell. (The crimp will be not be correct) If it is shot you most likely will notice a big mess with spilled shot. As stated by other respondents; it takes 2 pulls to produce this. Operator error is the #1 culprit. Ed

14. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

A lot of truth here, but my mec 650 would double charge a round if the bar would hang up just before returning to the powder drop position. It would bind up just before it dropped the powder it picked up. It would then drop said powder when I moved the station and re charge it again when I pulled the handle. I shot two if these in my 1100 before I realized what was happening. I finally saw what was going on every 1000 or so loads and put an additional spring on the return and have not had it happen since. I have only been loading since 1965 so I guess I am one of the idiots that shouldn't be reloading.

15. mkstephen

mkstephen Active Member

One caution on a PW 800 and clearly stated in the owner manual;

When a person does not push the handle up all the way until they hear a 'click' the machine will not index. When they then pull the handle down they will double charge the shot and the powder. This will be evident by shot pooring out of the shot charging station.

However the shell with the double charge of powder is not the one with the double charge of shot. The shell with the double charge of powder is the one two stations back at the powder charging station (the one prior to the wad station). This is why Ponsness Warren recommends clearing the maching completely and starting over.

Michael Stephenson

PW (800-B, 800+ hydro) 30 year user and also a Caesar Guerini Magnus (20,000 rds) owner.

16. Steve W

tripod,

Am I reading your post correctly? You shot two of the double charged shells in your 1100?

Thank you in advance for your reply.

17. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

You can in fact.....accidentaly double charge on a MEC 9000, here's how it can happen;

On the downstroke if the primer drops slightly prematurely and then sits cocked sideways in the hole on the plate......to avoid crushing the primer you stop short of a complete downstroke and bring the handle back up enuf' to manually straighten out the primer and then complete the downstroke, guess what? You've just double shotted the one under the wad-seating & shot-drop tube (that'll be obvious by the shot spill).....not so obvious is, you've also double charged with powder the one under the primer-seating & powder drop tube.

I've done it,

John C. Saubak

18. Steve W

Old Cowboy,

That's something had not happen on my 9000 before, knock on wood. I think I understand what you're saying, but does it means the powder AND shots will both doubled in this case? Not only double powder?
    If so, it'll get caught by obvious reason (and messy).

Thank you for your reply too.

19. Ljutic111

Ljutic111 TS Member

I`m glad I reload on a 366 for the last 25years because I`ve heard of mishaps using PW machines a long time ago .

20. JRW

JRW Member

I would say problems could arise when changeing powders but not the bushing. Jerry

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.