1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

What razor gives the most number of shaves?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by senior smoke, Oct 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

Hello:
    I am really writing this thread on behalf of my son Brian. My son has a Fred Flintstone type beard and shadow. He could shave easily twice a day, possibly more. He must of taken after his mothers side of the family as her father and brothers could easily grow a beard in a single week. I am like one of those hairless dogs. I use the cheapest disposable razor and get roughly 5 to 8 shaves out of them. I really only have to shave once every two days. If any of you have a heavy beard like my son, have any of you found a razor that is comfortable, and you get a decent number of shaves from a particular razor?
    Steve Balistreri

2. zeroed4x

zeroed4x TS Member

Well... just like the rest of the he-man trap shooters, I usually just
    hone my KA-Bar and dry shave.

Get him an electric like a $24.00 Remington.
    He'll itch for 3-4 shaves and then he'll get used to it.
    You'll save money in the long run.

Now get him out there and keep your head down and cheek against the comb.

3. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    A straight razor will last the longest, if you take care of it.

Your face will probably look like a dead slashed hooker the first time or two.

4. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

I like the Schick disposable razor. it has three blades and lasts a long time. HMB

5. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

Brian:
    Do you know of a razor that my son won't have to look like a "dead slashed hooker"? My son read your response and laughed. He thinks he will pass on your suggestion, although appreciated.
    Steve

6. trapshootin hippie

trapshootin hippie Well-Known Member

Why does he wanna shave anyways? Just let it grow.

Gne J

7. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

Store you razor in a small jar of rubbing acohol with a lid.

The reason the blades dull is from the leading edge of the blade rusting from water. It takes a long time to dull from shaving. I get a few months from one cheap razor this way.

8. Ljutic111

Ljutic111 TS Member

I have a light beard but I too believe that drying the blade off every time saves the edge . I get about a month of shaves from an Atra razor blade . Your son may want to consider a 1/4"+ growth as some in the media are sporting . Less wear and tear on the facial skin .

9. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Find a good old straight razor and learn how to use it. I have a couple that are around or over 100 years old and some that are a bit newer. Once sharpened and stropped properly, they work nicely. When in a hurry (all the time) I keep my nose on my face and use the Gilette Sensor Excel. Somehow they seem to last almost a month for a blade. Just sometimes there is nothing like a good old straight razor shave when you have the time.

10. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

they used to sell a "holder" that you put mineral oil in

Razors lasted a year or more

shave- rinse the blade- put it in the holder

simple explanation- blades are harder than whiskers

regards from Iowa

Gene

11. ken1okie

ken1okie Active Member

I've got a wet-dry Norelco electric that works like a champ. I lather up and use the electric and rinse....smooth like a baby's butt. I only use a blade if I've gone four or three days without shaving.

12. oskerspap12

oskerspap12 Active Member

A straight razor.......................

13. ffwildcat

ffwildcat TS Member

A close shave is a combination of a number of factors - IT IS NOT JUST A SHARP BLADE.

Tell your son to get a good badger shaving brush. You can find them on ebay.

Next thing he needs is to make sure his shaving cream is high quality. I use the eshave cream and that stuff is fantastic.

A good quality triple blade like the Mach 3 in combination with a good brush and high quality soap will make his shaving experience something he never dreamed possible.

I have a HEAVY beard and struggled for years with a brush and foam and disposables until I learned about badger brushes and good shaving soap. My skin feels fabulous - my beard still grows back by the end of the day but not as strong and my skin doesn't hurt or get irritated.

A good brush and soap would make an excellent christmas gift.

14. white rattler

white rattler Member

Steve where do you come this shit! Trevor Dawe.

15. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

Go with the 1/4 inch cut and use some sheep shears LOL

16. houbyhunter

houbyhunter TS Member

Shave after you take a shower. Remember the barber placing a damp towel on the face. The blades will last for months.

17. ke4yyd

ke4yyd Member

I have an average beard. I get 3 to 4 months use out of the Mach 3 disposables.

18. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

I have a beard that would make a red boar hog jealous. Electric razors just spit their blades out when I try one of those. I just use the cheap dual blade throw aways, sometimes it takes a couple of three if I haven't shaved the day before but it works out cheaper than anything else I've tried. If you have time to put a nice hot towel on your face for awhile like the old time barbers used to do it really helps too.

I'm too shakey to use a straight razor.

19. blkcloud

blkcloud Active Member

I once watched a show on tv about cyrogenic deep freezing of different items, everything from racing go cart motors to chainsaw chains.. and yup the good ole bic razor, the .99 cent ones, the host claimed to have shaved for a month with it after the treatment..

20. southjblue

southjblue Active Member

I use a Norelco electric and can't get a close shave plus it leaves whiskers that grow in a direction that the blades wont cut---Result is that after a week I have several whiskers that are 1/4" long and then will have to use a wet shave---I wonder if anyone has this problem?Does the Norelc wet shaver leave some that are not cut?---Thanks---Mystic---

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.