1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

what qualifies as secure funds for quick shipping?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by quartering, Sep 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. quartering

quartering Active Member

why do people spend 12 bucks to overnight a certified check to me thinking it's the same as cash? it's just another check. and federal law allows 7 banking business days for a check to clear which pretty much takes all the luster off of that overnight shipping thing, doesn't it? but i'm always the bad guy. so what can i do to circumnavigate the seven day delay? i'm thinking certi checks from the same bank that has branches in both states for quick cashing and shipping is one solution. or a usps money order might be another. i don't know if the post office can cash their own mo for $1000, but a federal mo seems a little more solid than something that just comes off of a printer in a bank somewhere, and payment by usps mo might warrant the right for next day shipping. your thoughts? thanks

2. MisterHappy

MisterHappy Member

cash.

either that, or trust due to knowing the other party.

3. Remstar311

Remstar311 Member

A bank will cash the USPS MO IIRC as well. I'd tell the buyer to take a chill pill. Nothing over the internet is instant. Most people do it to avoid sales tax. If they want it right now, tell them to pay retail plus sales tax.

4. Guy

Guy Member

I just had to say to a teller.....what's the advantage to a cashiers check if you won't give me immediate credit?

Here's the easiest thing....wire transfer. You'll have your money in 2 days or less.....most of the charges are paid by the sender.

5. oldgahchamp

oldgahchamp Active Member

A lot of experienced "scam artists" can print their own money orders and certified checks. With a USPS money order, take it to the PO and have them verify it if you are in doubt. Of course, if you're going to cash it at the PO, then it's no problem. My Daughter works in a PO and several months ago there were some very good looking counterfeit USPS money orders floating around. Larry Evans

6. kfbagt

kfbagt Member

You guys are nuts..... Cashiers checks are the safest by far. A 45 second phone call to the issuing bank will confirm the check is valid. Done deal.

Any money order or check for that matter can be forged, do you think the post office would verify if a moneynorder is legit? No way. Deposit it and wait and see.

I bought an item on here and the seller would only accept a Post office money order, I obliged him bought thought what a mistrust he has in a piece of paper. A buyer sent me a cashiers check from California last month and it literally took me less than a minute to verify the funds when I got the check.

Just my opinion.... Paul

7. sernv99

sernv99 Active Member

"....do you think the post office would verify if a moneynorder is legit? No way..."

I have had three different post offices within my local commuting area verify the USPS money orders I had given them to cash in. Maybe it's not standard operation procduedre at your local post offices but there are some out there that verify the money orders.

The only complaint I have about USPS money orders is that I have never been able to cash in anything over $100, sometimes anything over $75. The clerks just don't have that kind of $$$ to dish out in one single transaction. I have been told to come right before closing time if I wanted to cash a large $$$ money order.

8. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Postal money orders is all I accept, you can call the postal number and they will verify that it is not a fake. Cashier checks are no longer secure. If I know you as I do many on here, I will take anything

9. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

If you take a USPS money order to the post office and they cash it...well it wouldn't really matter if it turned up bogus would it? To think they do not make sure a mo is real before handing you CASH is ludicrous.

10. kfbagt

kfbagt Member

as stated above, you can't cash a money order for any real amount at the post office, and if you deposit it at your bank you aren't guaranteed that it's good until it clears in 3-5 days. you guys do what you want, I'll stick to cashier's checks

how do you forge a money order that you verify is legit? it can't be done. a simple phone call to verify, that's all it takes. again..... my opinion

11. dcb_wvu

dcb_wvu Member

I take the cashier's check or even a personal check. I also check the guy out and see if they are a regular on here or not. Read a few of their posts and see if they are legit. I dealt with one fellow in SC and shipped him the barrel without payment. I did this for a number of reasons, 1 being that I have a business partner that lives there and verified the address. The guy was a affiliated with The Citadel and had good posts on here. It's a trust thing.

I have waited until some checks have cleared before shipping but I will also start taking credit cards soon too. Let them have their instant gratification on the purchase. If you screw me, you'll have to deal with the BATF&E and the US Attorney. I will simply report it as a theft to the BATF&E, they give me a nifty little form for that.

Courtney

12. IndyShotgun

IndyShotgun TS Member

A certified check is bank funds, not customer funds. You should accept it as cash. A phone call to the bank should verify authenticity issues.

If you want the best transfer of funds, use a Fed wire. It costs a few bucks, but certainly comparable with the Certified Check and FedEx, and the funds arrive that afternoon, directly in your account as cleared funds.

13. Big Heap

Big Heap TS Member

Three Ways To Send Money

> Online: Send 24/7 to your friends and family.

> In Person: Pay with cash at a nearby Agent location.

> By Phone: Send money conveniently by phone today.

If you are a field worker and want to send money back home to Mexico - Western Union is the choice.

14. porky

porky TS Member

When all the costs are in, sometimes it costs about the same to transfer money from one bank to another. Both banks will have to have FDIC accredation though.

15. ou.3200

ou.3200 Well-Known Member

I accept cashier's checks and verify them by telephone call to the bank. Look up the number independently from any number that may appear on the check. The numbers are available on line by searching the name and address of the bank. I paid by wire transfer one time but won't do it again. First, it cost about $25 to make the transfer and second the dealer gave me the wrong routing number for his account. It took several days to sort that out. If the seller won't take a bank check, Postal Money Order or credit card I will pass.

16. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

Do a wire transfer, bank to bank. That's about as quick as you're going to get. Easy to do.

WW

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.