1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

What process is this receiver?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by grntitan, Mar 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

How is this done on my 682 Gold E Trap here? Is this a plating process or what do you call this finish? How are the Gold parts done? Is this Nickle, Stainless?? How good is for long term wear purposes. Will it wear off like bluing does?--Matt

grntitan_2009_25037.jpg

grntitan_2009_250310.jpg

2. 1903

1903 Member

On one of my Gold E's, the finish is pitted on the tang, and the barrel selector is pitted. There is also some pitting on the scallops at the top of the receiver. This pitting isn't really bad, like black pinholes, but it still kinda bothers me. Also some of the gold is worn off. Everyone I talked to about refinishing the receiver back to the factory finish said they can't do it. Everyone said to send it back to Beretta. I talked to Beretta while I was at Sparta at the Grand, and they said they would have to send it back to Italy. It would be expensive, to say the least, they said. So I just have to live with it. John..........

3. grntitan

John--Is it rust pitting or where the finish has just come off? I'd say if anybody knows a place that can refinish it they will chime in. There are some pretty talented gun restorers in the US.

4. 1903

1903 Member

It's not like rust. It looks like the plating bubbled up and flaked off, for whatever reason. Little pinhole areas. The exposed metal looks like it oxidized where the plating flaked off. Or maybe thats why the plating flaked off in the first place. Bad metal prep?? The pitting is a blackish color. I don't know how quickly this happened. I bought the gun used a few years ago and it was already like this. The gun is about 8 years old. John.........

5. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

Someone has told me the gold is just paint actually

If something bubbles it has to be through a plating- traditional nitriding is not a plating- it is just a chemical change to the material surface

Regards from Iowa

Gene

6. grntitan

Gene--You have had and seen several of these Beretta's done as such. Have you seen any have the issue John above on here described? I've been cleaning this receiver as i would any of my blued receivers(my Ed's Red brew). I guess this is ok?

7. 1903

1903 Member

Here is a pic of the tang.

1903_2008_31071.jpg

8. grntitan

Yeah that looks like rust pitting to me. Looks anyway. I'd say whoever owned it before you didn't care for their gun very well. My opinion of course.

9. 1903

1903 Member

If you look closely under the first 4, there are some bubbles in the plating that haven't "popped" yet. Can moisture get through the plating? I'm assuming that this isn't a stainless receiver..

10. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

The gold does flake off- that is what I have seen- I have been told you just get gold paint and reapply

The picture above seems to show plating that is flaking off- now I am not sure that was from corrosion as a result of not cleaning or taking care of it-

Seems like it could have been a poor plating ? The people that work on here in a plating type industry- what is your thought?

Regards from Iowa

Gene

11. grntitan

I found on a Beretta site that the Gold E Trap uses an electroless nickel finish that provides added protection against the elements.

12. b12

b12 Well-Known Member

Years ago I used to work for a plating co. I did a lot of copper, nickel,gold, zinc, cadium, tin plating. The biggest cause of what appears you have is the metal was not prepped clean enough when the plating was put on. If you look at some old car bumpers from years ago and see little specs where rust started from underneath comes from metal that was already pitted and not removed before plating and small amounts of oil,dirt or moisture was trapped before plating. There are plating shops that can strip the plating off. Much of the gold is the kind you buy in a bottle and rub it in. Its really just paint. Bill

13. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

What B12 said.. I'd give a call to Doug's Gunsmithing.. He'll get it right..All Good Mike

14. cunninmp

cunninmp Member

Bill is right, it looks like electroless nickel. When done
    properly, en is a very durable and fairly hard finish.
    But, if the parent metal is not cleaned thoroughly, you get
    bubbling under the surface of the plating just as your picture
    shows. All the oil in the world won't stop it from happening.
    I've done hundreds of parts in "en" and now 30 plus years
    later, no pitting.
    A good plater can strip and replate with very good results.
    Not familiar with Dougs, but if he does en, send it there. It'll
    have to completely dis-assembled, and each part needing plating will
    be done separately.
    Mike Cunningham BSME
    Groveland, CA

15. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

Looks like the guy before you ate a bag of potato chips before he shot and did not wash his hands first, before handling the gun.

16. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

No.. it looks like the guy who did the plating ate a bag of potato chips and did not wash his hands.. use gloves.. or anything else when he handeled the receiver to be plated..

17. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

I believe the receivers are machined from a solid block, and I also agree this was a case of poor preparation for plating.

It is quite possible that unlike Chrome, which requires a high degree of polish before plating, the matte finish of EN may lead to sloth on the part of the workers because it won't be noticed.

HM

18. 1903

1903 Member

In reading some of your ideas on why this pitting has happened to my shotgun, I have sent an Email to Beretta USA with a few questions about this and the photo. Hopefully they will get back to me about this. Just kinda interested in what they have to say. John.......

19. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

I've seen this before on other Berettas and even a few Perazzis. I wonder if the two companies are using the same plater?

I'm replating a Beretta 687EL Gold Pidgeon right now that has lost about 75% of it's plating. It sucks for the customer because of the added cost of having the nickel carefully stripped. It has to come off with acid, and if not carefully monitored, the acid with etch into the steel.

Doug Braker

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.