1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

what primers to buy

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by traplady41, Dec 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. traplady41

traplady41 TS Member

I need to make a powder run also need primers I'm using winchester primers with promo powder in rem. and win 12ga. shells. Would like you thoughts on a cheaper primer sub.thanks.

2. harleypilot

harleypilot Member

Cheddite primers have always worked well for me, and they are cheaper than Winchester primers.

Jim

3. JasonH

JasonH TS Member

traplady

I have used the combination of promo powder and cheddite primers for a couple of years now with no trouble, and do agree with others that they are as good as winchester primers and cheaper to buy....good luck....

4. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Nobel, $125 per 5000

5. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

I am reloading only Promo powder these days and have found that the Fiocchi primers work very well when coupled with the Remington hulls and Windjammer wads. I am loading 17gr. for 1oz. loads and 18.7gr. for 11/8 handicap loads.....Just my experience....Dan Thome (Trap2)

6. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

I buy whatever is cheapest,and adjust my loads to compensate.

7. DocJim

DocJim Member

Rio's, about $18 per 1000. They will enlarge the primer pocket to the extent that Winchester's and Remington's won't work, but so what, the Winchester's and Remington's won't be competitive anyway. They are a "hot primer" so I use reloading data for Federals. Been using them for a couple of years with NO misfires and they work well in cold weather for me...............Jim

8. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

Fiocchis. I've shot 10,000 in STS/Gun Club hulls using Promo and Red Dot powders with no problems. (I load both 1 oz and 1 1/8 oz). Use the money you save to buy other components. Remington and Winchester components are ridiculously priced. Ed

9. tj303

tj303 Member

I switched from Winchester primers to Fiocchi to save money..I am NOT happy. I never in tens of thousands had a 'blooper' with Winchester primers. I am averaging 6 bloopers per 100 with Fiocchi. STS hull, 17.4 Clays, Green Duster wad, 1 oz. I have 4000 Fiocchi primers left anybody want to buy them? $20 per thousand in Ithaca NY 607-279-7785

10. FarmerD

FarmerD TS Member

tj303
    Thats amazing, I have loaded 50,000 F616 primers without a missfire, but I use the cheaper ones $80 bucks for 5000. Ben

11. chatbrat

chatbrat TS Member

Wow Ben, I though I had a good deal Nobels @ $88.00/5000----maybe we could all start listing sources for the best deals on components---it would help keep the sport going----Phil

12. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

tj303: What are you doing to get a 6% failure rate on the Fiocchi primers? (You can't soak them in water or use them more than once). That is an amazing failure rate. As stated in my last reply, I have used in excess of 10.000 of these primers without one misfire. Ed

13. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

tj303......I have loaded in excess of 20,000 Fiocchi primers and have yet to have one that failed. Most of the guys I shoot with also load with Fiocchi primers. We all travel to shoots together and almost always squad together wherever we are. None of us have ever had a misfire with a Fiocchi primer. Something just doesn't sound right when you state you are having a 6% failure rate. This would, without question, be something the factory would like to know about. I would call them with the lot numbers and explain what is happening......Just my experience.......Dan Thome (Trap2)

14. XT Bill

XT Bill TS Member

I have heard of this before, and the common factor was the bottom barrel in Brownings. Is this the case here ?

15. R.Kipling

R.Kipling Well-Known Member

tj303,

I'm betting that the cause of your bloopers is the Green Duster wad. I went through it last year in cold weather. Warm is fine, cold seems to effect the Green Duster. I've switched to WJII and 12SO wads during the colder days and eliminated the problem.

IMHO,
    Kip

16. tj303

tj303 Member

Why am I the only one who has problems with Fiocchi? They all went off when fired in my K80 but some were 'soft' bangs, not a complete dud. Unburned powder residue lining the barrels. I load on a MEC9000 with Automate. I won this falls league high gun award shooting my reloads of STS hull, Winchester primers, 17.0gr Clays, Green Duster or WW12 1oz(pink) wads, 1 oz hard 8's. Yes I have and use a scale. In a moment of brain death I decided to change what worked just to save some pennies. I switched to Fiocchi primers...the only change was the primers. Lots of 'bloopers' was the result. Increased powder drop to 17.5gr still have bloopers down to 6 per 100. In my very limited experience Fiocchis are not anywhere close to a direct subsitution for Winchester primers using this combination of hull, powder, wad, and payload.

17. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Use what you can find the best deal on and try a few hundred before investing a bunch of money in something that doesn't work well for you. I usually test them at normal and cold temperatures. The cold ones go into the freezer and get tested over a chronograph. If they remain consistent with no off sounding loads, then I will buy and load more. I have found some primer and powder combinations that don't work very well. Some wads can also create issues with some loads in colder weather. It may take a little experimentation to get something that works well in all situations.

Be sure to use reliable data for the EXACT componants you have, since primers are not usually interchangeable. The exception is the claim by Hodgdon that Nobel Sport Primers may be substituted for Winchesters WHEN USING HODGDON POWDERS AND DATA! Some primers are larger in diameter. The Nobel Sports and the Rios semm to be the larger ones, with some of the older Cheddite varieties as well. Most of the other primers appear to be very close to each other in size.

If you have a lot of experience and are conservative with pressures, you can usually substitute primers safely. If you are using loads that develop higher pressures to begin with, you could be taking a chance on damaging a gun or inflicting some personal injury in order to save a few pennies.

18. phirel

phirel TS Member

tj303- Soft loads with a lot of powder residue in the barrel sounds much more like a wad guide problem on your reloader than a primer problem.

As far as primer selection, few on this site will agree with me. I will only use primers that were specifically designed for the hulls I am loading. I only load AA hulls and I only use Winchester primers.

Pat Ireland

19. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

I have not been loading long at all. I have learned one thing. If you find a combo of componants that work for you, stick with them. I have always used CCI and STS primers. I prefer STS. Recently I tried some rios and cheddite primers. For what ever reason they both did not slide well in my primer tray, and did not drop well. MEC 650. So back to STS. Now my supply is running out. I will be trying some WOLF 209 primers after the first of the year. I have shot many rounds of wolf Shotgun ammo 45acp 7.62 .22 all with no miss fires or poor performance issues. So Ill try them. I have tried several 1oz wads and keep going back to Remington. Although I just recieved free sample of TGT12 clones from downrangemanufacturing. They look nice, better than the claybuster clones. I will load those up soon. I have been stuck on CLAYS powder after loading about 15lbs of red dot. I bought a bunch of Clays cheap. I like it. Also like how it smells after you fire it. have had no cold weather issues with any of my reloads. Im loading a soft shooting load. Hodgdon recipe has it rated at 1125fps. I was loading these for my wife and just started likeing them. I started reloading to save a little money, loading to duplicate STS light target. So I used brand specific parts. rem for rem, win for win ect ect. If your gonna load just to load the cheapest you can, pull the estate and gun clubs out of the barrels find the cheapest wads primers powder to fit and start cranking. Just use KNOWN data and follow the specs. One guy that loads at our club uses all sorts of different stuff. His rounds sound aweful, has many weak shots and poofers. You can see shot dribble out his barrel some times. Hes got his own wad stick to push the wads out. Man its not even funny anymore. Good luck

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.