1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

what powder for an auto

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by plumbcrazyjr, Oct 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. plumbcrazyjr

plumbcrazyjr TS Member

I am new to the sport and to loading shotshells so please be kind as i am sure that this has been asked before but i could not find it in the search.
    I have a winchester sx2 that i shoot trap with and i has just purchased a mec 650 to load with i have a large supply of AA hulls and AA12 wads but am unsure what powder to use any info would be a great help
    thanks
    Eric Rogers

2. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

You're going to want a clean burning powder for an auto, like 700x or Clays.

3. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

With those hulls and wads I would suggest Win 209 primers. Go to Alliant and Hodgdon powder web sites, lots of load data for those components.

Get a scale!! Wayne

4. Andy44

Andy44 Active Member

Use 17.4gr of Promo for either 1 or 1 1/8oz loads. Least expensive powder and works super in my SX2! No issues whatsoever!

16.7gr of ClayDot pushing 1oz loads works real well also. Use DownRange TGT12 wads for your 1oz loads.

AndyH ;-)

5. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

If you shoot a lot at night, then you may want to use some of the faster burning powders (red dot, clays,etc). This will help with the flame thrower effect. If shooting during the day, any powder will work (no flames visible during the daylight hours).

If you are reloading the new style AA's, then check the hulls carefully as you shoot them. I have witnessed the basewad migration first hand and it does exsist.

Invest in a good set of scales and a super sizer. The scales to weigh your powder charge (never, I mean never, take the bushing chart seriously), and the super sizer to resize the hulls prior to loading. Super X2's are very tempermental about the crimped end of the shell (feeding issues).

ss

6. plumbcrazyjr

plumbcrazyjr TS Member

I got a supersizer with the mec 650 and i have several scales i have been reloading rifle shells for about 15 years all the hulls that i have are about 10 years old the have never been reloaded. how do i tell the old style from the new
    thanks

7. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Just look in the bottom of the hull. If you see a seperate, white in color, basewad then it's the newer style.

If the hull appears to be one piece then it's the older much more desireable hull.

ss

8. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

If your hulls are 10 years old they are the old style. The new ones are shiney and have a ridge on the inside about 2/3 the way down. Never seen one with a white base wad. HMB

9. plumbcrazyjr

plumbcrazyjr TS Member

Thanks
    This site is great 1.5 hours and six responses
    like i said i am new to the site have not shot trap since highschool i averaged 45-48 out of 50 then but that has been 11 years ago i am really looking forward to getting back into it
    thanks again
    eric rogers

10. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Can you still get PB. Cleanest I ever saw.

11. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

Eric, the new AA's (since 2001) will have HS on the head stamp.

Barry, PB is very clean, that is what I'm using for my handicap loads. I usually use Green Dot, but I got 4 lbs. of PB cheap. Its still made and still expensive. Wayne

12. JJJ

JJJ TS Member

Just make sure if you are shooting your auto in the evening to use a hot primer like Fed. 209A. Don't use Remington primers, or you'll scare the hell out of the guy next to you.
    Joe Jordan

13. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

For an autoloader I'd suggest something that's clean burning. CLAYS is about as clean burning as it gets. With AA hulls, WAA12 wads & 1 1/8 oz of shot.....try a MEC #32 bushing of Clays.

FWIW, IMO......700X, clean burning it AIN'T. I just LOVE 700X, use more of it than any other powder but it leaves a lot of powder residue in the barrel, and'll carbon up the gas system of an auto in short order.

John C. Saubak

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.