1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

What Pickup Truck Recommended?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Chango2, Mar 16, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

Having a "Pity Party" Today:

Woke up this am all set to go to shoot a couple of rounds of trap. I live in So-Cal. Guess what, my 07 4x4 Chevy 3/4 Duramax pickup has left home. It was stolen from right in front of my home last night.

"We dont' miss the water until the well is dry"....that truck was "sick", all set up the way I wanted for travel and for towing an 8000lb wet weight trailer; it was a big stump pulling diesel with Banks upgrades. I sure loved that truck, present to self for retirement.

Anyway, I have to replace it. Need a truck that will pull a 25.5 foot 8000 lb. travel trailer with ease; 8000 lb. load is the wet weight. Of course the D-max did that as if the trailer were a toy. So...this time I'm not so sure what to get...gas in a strong 1/2 ton or another D'Max. I have considered the Toyota 5.7, but not sure...have to start looking.

Nothing at all against diesel outside of the higher cost than gas and higher intitial cost involved. I so prefer diesel, but might not be able to afford to buy a nice one again. My truck was paid for from savings accrued over my working years with an eye towards retirement in travel, going to trapshoots, etc. Insurance, as you know, only covers blue book cost/price, not replacement cost.

When this stuff happens, well, I'm not so far sad or angry, just numb and mostly frustrated. Lost shooting "stuff" in the truck, some flats of shells, a big collection of Decot glasses and lenses, choke tubes, tools, etc. But thankfully, NO guns or barrels or triggers etc.

Thanks for letting me vent; any advice appreciated, particularly from somebody who has "been here and suffered this"...

David

2. yakimaman

yakimaman Well-Known Member

Ow, that hurts, I have the same truck.

3. build4u

build4u Member

Have an 08 4 door short bed duramax now. Had an 04 and 06 with Bullydawg programmers. I left the 08 stock I love it. It was a new gas or buy out my diesel lease and I kept it. I am a builder, I tow some but not as far as you do, pull out all kinds of motorized vehicles on job sites, jump start machinery and run my kids to school. Swapped with my nieghbors one year old Ford diesel while he was putting tires on for me the other day he was gone 5 minutes before he called and told me it would run circles around his truck. The Ford had a good ride but I did feel like I wanted to put my foot out the door and freddy flintstone it. GM can not figure out to put a good tire on from the factory is probably my biggest beef.

4. ric3677

ric3677 Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear this David. I can only hope that you recover the truck.

Rick in MT

5. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

Thanks for the information and support...so glad to hear that the '08 max that build 4u works well. Yes, GM does not put on good tires from the factory, IMO. Rick in Mt.: It is very unlikely this truck is still in one piece, remember I live 130 miles or less north of the Mexico border. D'Max parts are used in so many applications and many "hot" vehicles are run to Mexico from this area. I think the truck was taken by people who were not joyriding or out for a fast buck or kids etc., but by pros taking it to part out, likely in Mexico.

Wife and I looked at new Chevy Duramax trucks tonight...if only to take our minds off of this loss. Darn, she likes all the fancy stuff that costs six grand extra and is worth about two grand extra...leather and sunroof! I can live without that...Dollar for inflation dollar and dime for inflation dime, there is more truck out there now than there was when I bought the '07 classic, so there is a partial good side, but darn, I'd rather just have stayed with what I had any, any day. What we do will all depend upon our friendly insurance company's sense of things.

6. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

P.S. Anybody ever used/purchased Lo Jack? I wonder if it is worthwhile, or would it merely let one get a vehicle back that has been badly damaged and half stripped parted out. Thanks again.

7. Beretta687EELL

Beretta687EELL Well-Known Member

I feel your pain, mine was stolen in June of '08. I replaced mine with a new Chevy. I love the truck. They got all my shooting stuff and my Kolar. The truck was recovered and written off and all the other items had to be replaced by the insurance company. The good part was I got my new Kolar. Bill Malcolm

8. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

Thanks for the encouragement Bill; I am very bummed at this point 'cause I likely won't/don't have enough funds to get the truck I need after insurance payout. You had an even worse experience and such a shame they got your Kolar. Fortunately, they only got my Kolar sticker on the back window; Kolar and its case and choke tubes were in the house!!! phew...In the big picture, I realize this could have been much, much, worse.

How's that new Kolar doing for you? My Kolar came to me via a trade I was not even looking for; traded off some duplicate target guns I had (bullseye pistols) to a friend and we are both very happy.

9. wingmaster78

wingmaster78 Active Member Verified Youth Coach/Director

I'm sorry for your loss.
    Obviously though, you know a good truck when you see one. I would just get another one and insure it with the insurance company, Pit, Bull, Smith & Wesson.

10. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Can't they find it through the "on star" system?

11. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

OnStar? The vehicle can be located in minutes.

Curt

12. rooferbob

rooferbob Active Member

I have got just what you need! 09 Chevy duramax 2500 HD fully customized
    rooferbob

rooferbob_2008_03032.jpg

13. trim tab

trim tab Active Member

Chango, you are right. Not in one piece any longer. Chop Shop received an order to fill and they sent the mules out to fill it and yours was the one to fill the order. Bad deal, but happens all the time. OnStar and Lojack are both good proection.

14. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Take a test drive with the new Ford diesel. Power up the wazoo and totally quiet. The Dodge Hemi works too

15. John Galt

John Galt TS Member

Chango, you might consider a Ford F150 with the eco-boost engine and heavy duty towing package. It's rated to tow more than 11,000 lbs which is more than the Chevy, Dodge, or Toyota and gets relatively good mileage to boot.

I've driven diesels for years but won't be buying another one since the government has screwed them up so badly. Not only have the regulations screwed up the mileage but the premium over the gas engines has become far greater than it used to be because all the bs added to them costs a lot. I'm not enthused about having a urea tank and having to buy urea to fill it either.

16. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

Well I did learn:

1. Silverado trucks are not stolen much, I had very bad luck and it was likely a job by pros who wanted the parts.

2. Take your shooting stuff out at night; in past I only took in my guns.

3. I had On Star, so far, no go.

4. These are confusing times; we have a relatively heavy trailer that is of high quality. Nothing to tow it with...but given fuel prices, what to do for a replacement? Stolen truck was paid for, first thing I bought, cash, when I retired.

5, Towing an 8000 pound load with 3.5 liters of Eco Boost seems rather iffy to me, a less proven high tech solution that may or may not work out.

6, The new Ford Diesel is beautiful, but again, engine is new tech. and I have seen one, very quiet. Tempting...but I am so familiar with D'Max.

17. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Deepest condolences!

18. ric3677

ric3677 Well-Known Member

The best thing that the Chevy has is that Allison tranny. I really enjoy mine while towing.

Rick in MT

19. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

So far I am already "tire kicking"...I find that speaking with dealers via phone, one finds who will sell for dealer invoice or less or who won't. Many dealers will sell for their wholesale price as long as they don't have to dip into their "load", which is funds back quarterly from the factory.

(Some dealers are so crooked/greedy; I have seen some (A Nissan store last month, I was just looking around at the van out of itnerest) asking more than retail for a van and other cars "because that's our profit" according one salesmen. It is sad to think that some hard working, yet intimidated individuals/families fall for that kind of B.S.)

I am lucky in the big picture, 1. At least an average amount of "smarts" or "street sense" about shopping and...2. The wisdom of many at Trapshooters.com on my side to, and as the community always does, offer good advice re. directions to consider and directions I have overlooked. Thanks TS Community.

David

20. Sharp1

Sharp1 Member

I'm a GM guy and curious...What did ON-Star tell you...Cannot locate it? Theft protection is a selling point for them I would want too know why it was not availble. Did the police have any words of wisdom?

Sorry about your luck..good thing its just material items and not your health...

GL

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.