1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

What Percent Ever Break 100 Straight

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Just-A-Shooter, Jan 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Just-A-Shooter

Just-A-Shooter Member

I am curious if anyone knows about what percentage of shooters ever break 100 straight. And of that group how many go on to break additional 100 straights. I am guessing that only about 10 percent ever get one, but of that group a large percent go on to break additional 100s.

2. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

10% is way too high-closer to 1%!!

3. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Well if you stick with the game long enough it will probably happen. Probably about 1/2 of the guys I shoot with have registered at least one 100 in singles but these are people that have been playing the game for 5 or more years and practice regularly. So your guess at 10% of the total of people that have tried registered shooting is probably a little bit high. I would guess 5% or less.

4. Rvator97

Rvator97 TS Member

Singles ? 27yds? Doubles?

5. Just-A-Shooter

Just-A-Shooter Member

I was thinking only about singles. The shooters with a Handicap perfect score are in a much more exclusive group.

6. Ed Y

Ed Y TS Supporters TS Supporters

If you're talking about shooters that have stuck with the game for a decent period of time and have shot a decent number of targets, I'd guess under 10%. If you're talking about all shooters that have ever shot registered I'd have to say under way under 1%. If you take a look at your annual average book you'll see that a lot of shooters only shoot a couple of hundred targets in their lifetime.

Ed Yanchok

7. KENENT1

KENENT1 Active Member

I heard somewhere it was around 5.56287%..........

hope this helps!!

tony

8. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

I was laid off for 4 months in 2003 and had a couple kegs of powder, a couple of cases of wads and a bunch of shot and nothing much to do. I was shooting trap 3 and 4 times a week at a few local clubs. I shot a bunch of 98's and 99's but only one 100, and that was practice, not at a registered club.

9. k3uro

k3uro Member

1st hundred Handicap, first year, flinched so bad the puller was laughing at me :eek:).

2nd hundred 16, State Shoot Alexandria, MN, 1st year, moved from B Class to AA by shoot management, went home and attended a Skeet shoot.

Shot a couple more but they seemed to get harder and harder to come by.

100 Straight, Ft Worth Cow Town Skeet Doubles a couple years ago, now I have a hard time spelling 100 straight.

Shot a couple 12 gauge and 20 gauge 100 straight in skeet but no 28 or 410.

Just my experience. Wish they got easier but I did not find that to be the way it worked out.

Take care,

Jim

10. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

If I examined a "sample" of shooters I know, of the entire group 2% have shot a 100. Of those who shoot "regularly", that percentage, becomes about 10%.

Of those who shoot ATA on a somewhat regular basis, that percentage changes further to approx. 40%, and of the guys who are the most competitive with their shooting, lets just say 65-70% of them.... and some more than once and a couple too often for me to dismiss as luck.

I myself have been close in 2009 with a 99... so some work for me in 2010.

regards all,

Jay

11. Damifino

Damifino Member

Did you know that when someone quotes a statistic off-hand 74.6% of the time it is made up?

12. jdsfarms

jdsfarms Well-Known Member

The percentage of shooters who missed their 100th target for a 99 is probably more.Jerry

13. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

Well, any way I post this I come off bragging so: I have shot about 8 - 100 straights @ 16 yards and hope to shoot more. I have shot one 200 straight in 2004 at the CA. State Championships. Yet, I can't even break a 96 at yardage [24.5 yards]. My handicap shooting "sucks", still I work at it... maybe some day. Once I get to about 75 targets and I am clean, then I really apply myself. This is when the mental/discipline part of the game kicks in. Fred

14. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

Has to be higher than 10%. Seems almost every one at my club has shot one one time or another in competition, so I'd have to say more like 30%-40%.

Neil, where are you when we need you on this one.

Whiz

15. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

3.1416% I think. I heard that somewhere.

16. phirel

phirel TS Member

I remember Neil posting the number a couple of years ago, but I don't remember what it was. 2-3% would be my guess.

Pat Ireland

17. slayer

slayer Well-Known Member

I shoot at a couple of clubs locally, the one that I will reference is a trap league that has ten teams [50 shooters]. The guy that has the best actual average has never shot 100 straight. There are four other guys that have shot 100 st. Each one only once in the ten years that I have been shooting with them. This is more or less a fun league, with only two or three ata members. So what is that? eight percent of average semi serious shooters? maybe.
    Bill in MI

18. Coyote 270

Coyote 270 Member

OK, lets go one further, how many have shot their first 100 straight and then been tied by their Father? and then lost the shot-off miss and out from the 27 yard line with 1oz loads. It was a day I will never forget. LOL

19. ronbo142

ronbo142 TS Member

I shot my 1st 100 in singles on my 45th regesterd singles event at Britnay Shooting Park at the begining of the 2010 shooting season.

I hope that next season I shoot my first 200, at least that is my next goal.

Ronbo

20. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

Fred, you sound like me. I broke my first 100 in singles in 1994 and thought I would have a heart attack before finishing the last trap. But the next one was easier and I have broken a lot of them since then. Even with my vision problem, I had one last summer while shooting practice.

I almost DID have a heart attack on the last post of my first 200-straight. But I had another 200 a year later and it wasn't nearly as stressful. In fact, I almost forgot I was straight while I was shooting.

Now, handicap - that sucks. That's the best way I can describe it. I got to the 27 but it wasn't a nice place for me. I guess I'm one of those 27-yarders who really doesn't belong there. And now that I no longer shoot registered targets, it can get REAL ugly on those rare occasions when I do shoot some handicap.

Here's the big question: Is it still fun for you? If so, don't sweat the score. I no longer do because shooting for fun is not the time-consuming "job" that registered shooting was for me.

Ed

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

percentage of a trap shooters