1. We have added the ability for anyone to 'bump' threads that they have created. This is mainly useful in the classifieds area where posters constantly bump for sale threads to bring it to the top. This allows them the ability to do that without having to clutter the thread with extra 'TTT' and 'Bump' type posts. To bump it, go inside your thread and click on 'Thread Tools' at the top, then select 'bump'. You can bump only once per 24 hour period.

For more detailed information please see this post: Thread Bump Functionality.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

What other questions should I ask ?

Discussion in 'For Sale- Members only' started by amboy49, Feb 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. amboy49

amboy49 Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0

A dealer in Krieghoff's has a gun for sale I'm considering. The serial number is in the 11000 range. I think this means the gun may have been manufactured in 2001 . . . is this correct ? If it is, what are the pitfalls in buying a 10 year old gun.

The 12 ga. barrels have screw-in thin wall Briley chokes which I think means the barrel started out life as a fixed choke and then had Briley installed choke tubes. Anyone have any experience with Briley thin wall chokes and Krieghoff barrels ?

I'm trying of other questions to ask before I take the plunge. The price seems fair - but rather than define the price to the world I'd rather have someone p.m. about that issue.

Thanks in advance

2. amboy49

amboy49 Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0

A dealer in Krieghoff's has a gun for sale I'm considering. The serial number is in the 11000 range. I think this means the gun may have been manufactured in 2001 . . . is this correct ? If it is, what are the pitfalls in buying a 10 year old gun.

The 12 ga. barrels have screw-in thin wall Briley chokes which I think means the barrel started out life as a fixed choke and then had Briley installed choke tubes. Anyone have any experience with Briley thin wall chokes and Krieghoff barrels ?

I'm trying of other questions to ask before I take the plunge. The price seems fair - but rather than define the price to the world I'd rather have someone p.m. about that issue.

Sorry - double dribbled ! 8 >)

3. brownk80

brownk80 Member

0   0   0

The gun was built in the early 80's. Mine is 13996 and was built in 1985. I don't know how many rounds have been put thru my gun but it is a bunch and it still shoots well if I do my part. I believe Birley actually did the chokes for Kreighoff early on although I am not sure but someone will know. If the gun is in good shape and shoots well and the price if fair you shouldn't have a problem but I would shoot it before I bought it.

I like mine and am very glad I bought it back in 2004. I sold a MX-8 Special combo two triggers and several upgrades to buy it and I have never looked back.

Shoot well.

Brownk80

4. porky

porky TS Member

0   0   0

Always look at the top or locking lever. If it is anywhere near center, you'll have to get the ears rebuilt and then the barrel re-blued. Check both barrels on the reciever, if is a combo. Check for creep in the trigger. Try shooting the top barrel first to make sure that it doesn't machine gun fire. Look for galling in the forearm hinge, bad sign because they didn't take care of it. Check wood for cracks, especially around the reciever metal and the forearm. Check face of reciever where firing pin strikes shell to see if any wear is on it. Check firing pins fron the face of the reciever to see if they are rounded or pitted from blowback from primer cap penetration. Ask about service dates and then call to see if service was actually done. Before buying, have a gunsmith pull the wood of the reciever and check internals for wear. They can be your best advisor. This gun wil have a lot of shells through it. If the barrel doesn't have a chrome or glassey surface, beware, it could have rusted. Find out what Briley did to the barrels. If the choke is stamped S-2, it means that Briley didn't backbore the barrels and they are probably still .733 each. If the choke is stamped S-12, it means that it was back bored to .745. Check the gun closely. Briley is one of the best in installing choke tube in barrels. They used ACME threads and they are stong. PM if you want mor info.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.