1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

What % of shooters are in each class?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by pb, Oct 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pb

pb TS Member

What is the percent of shooters in AA,A,B,C,D in singles?

Thanks!

Jon

2. smsnyder

smsnyder Well-Known Member

Yes, that would be interesting and usefull information if we could get it. BIGEARL 2.?

3. Gary Waalkes

Gary Waalkes Well-Known Member

That stuff used to be in the Average Book. Last time was 2004 year. The singles numbers then were:
    AA Women = 1.46% AA Men = 8.77%<BR>
     A Women - 8.32% A men - 24.72%<BR>
     B women = 14.33% B men = 22.82%<BR>
     C women = 16.07% C men = 15.07%<BR>
     D women - 59.82% D men = 28.61%

4. Gary Waalkes

What, I go to a lot of trouble to look the stuff up, when I went to take the book down, another one fell, knocked over my beer, I had to clean up the mess, get a fresh beer and you can't even say thanks?

5. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

The percentages would vary depending on where the shoot was. If there was a Penalty Class for not enough qualifying targets, then that Class would have a higher percent of shooters than the other classes.

6. phirel

phirel TS Member

Gary- The numbers you cited for 2004 have remained relatively constant for several years. These data are reviewed frequently by the Central Handicap Committee. If one class gets out of balance, the CHC would recommend some changes.

miketmx- I help classify at several larger shoots each year and I see relatively few shooters shooting with a penalty classification.

Pat Ireland

7. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

The ATA Western Zone Shoot is a telephonic shoot held in multiple venues all at the same time. When that shoot is held in Alberta there are a lot of entries in AA and A probably because it is a prestigious shoot with a chance for zonewide ATA trophies and extra zone fees to finance the package. At many shoots a new shooter is automatically placed in Class B until he or she has sufficient targets to establish a record. This would skew the statistics for the number of shooters in Class B, this is what I meant by Penalty Class but really Penalty Class and Penalty Yardage are only for the bigger shoots like the State Shoot.

8. ffwildcat

ffwildcat TS Member

So if I apply some liberal rounding rules then roughly 1/3 are A or better, 1/3 B/C and 1/3 D class.

If the class breaks are altered to adjust (gerrymander) the representation in each class then how much has the "line" moved?

In other words how much have we dumbed down A class?

I suspect it hasn't moved much but I'd like to know.

9. phirel

phirel TS Member

earl4140- Your suggested classification, based on the dividing the number of entries into equal groups, is a system where known shooting ability becomes almost secondary to the number of entries.

Pat Ireland

10. pb

pb TS Member

Thanks for the info!

Jon

11. smsnyder

according to the facts 91.22% of men shooters will never be in AAA class . 98.54% of women will never be in AAA class. looks like the majority of shooters who fund the ATA are not pro's? Any facts on handicaps?

12. Gary Waalkes

Sure smsnyder -
    Women 19 yds = 58.95
    20 yds = 11.21
    21 yds = 7.10
    22 yds = 6.12
    23 yds = 5.04
    24 yds = 3.50
    25 yds = 3.09
    26 yds = 2.62
    27 yds = 2.37

Men 19 yds = 4.23
    20 yds = 34.44
    21 yds = 10.71
    22 yds = 9.03
    23 yds = 8.15
    24 yds = 8.60
    25 yds = 8.09
    26 yds = 6.78
    27 yds = 9.97

13. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

Gary Waalkes,

Thanks.......

John C. Saubak

14. jrdlanes

jrdlanes Member

Gary Waalkes - My condolences and Thank you. John in Iowa

15. smsnyder

My hunch was right 49.38 shooters on 19,20,21 yards vs only 19.74 on the 21,22 yard line. You have twice (50%) more competition and sandbaggers to contend with in the 19 to 21 yard group vs the 21 to 22 yard group.. That's ok, but it's not an even playing field for the average handicap shooter. Once you reach the 23 yard line and back the playing field starts to level out. Now it would be interesting to see how many 19 to 21 yarders have quite this game and no longer shoot ATA. I bet is like 90% or better. Thanks Gary for the data.

16. phirel

phirel TS Member

smsnyder- It can get complicated when looking at the +-39% of the shooters on the 19-20 yard lines. Some of these often would not be competitive if they shot handicap from the 16 yard line.

I am friends with many fine shooters who are happy if they can shoot any score that begins with a 9 in any event. Unfortunately, they rarely do that. These shooters are clustered on the 19-20 yard lines.

Pat Ireland

17. Uncle Sam

Uncle Sam Member

pb...Thank you for starting this thread !!
    Gary W.....Thank for your informative responses...FOR REAL...those percentages and such were very interesting. I had no clue about the various break downs of classes or yardage groups. I enjoyed the info............Uncle Sam, Pa.

18. smsnyder

Pat, facts are facts. if your looking for ways to save or increase membership this is one major area that needs reviewed. By the way most are clustered on the 19 to 21 yard group NOT 19 to 20 yard group. Every shoot i go to it's like this.

19. smsnyder

Pat, you are correct some shooters are not competitive at 19 to 21 but how many are stuck at the 19 to 21 yard group because of the competition factor and sandbaggers? How many have quite the sport due to this reason? That's the answer i am after. Remember, the bulk of the money going into this sport are these people. It should be looked at. Pat, it's not complicated. Facts are facts and if you look at the numbers it's shows you some direction to go.( Am i correct on the lost members or shooters who have quite in the 19 to 21 yard group?)

20. scott calhoun

scott calhoun Well-Known Member

SMS -

To answer your most recent question, 0 percent of shooters are stuck on the 19-20 yard line due to the competition factor and sandbaggers. Anyone, at any yardage, shooting a score of 96 or higher will earn yardage without regard for the size of the shoot or who they are shooting against. A good shooter that never wins can still make the 27 yard line.

The people "stuck" at the 19-20 yard line are stuck there due to their inability to shoot a score that will earn them yardage - not because of who else shows up to shoot.

Scott

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.