1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

What O/U should I shoot?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Outdoors Junkie, Jan 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Outdoors Junkie

Outdoors Junkie TS Member

I am wanting to purchase a Browning O/U. I have been looking at the XT Golden Clay. What is the difference between the XT and the XT Golden Clay other than the engraving? Also the Cynergy looks nice as well. Does anyone have any suggestions on these guns. I would prefer to keep my cost under $3000.

James

2. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

James, No difference between the two guns other than looks!!! I don't care for the Cynergy's!!! Most shooters seem split pretty even, one way or the other on this site. So its really up to you and what you think. Good Luck and Break-em all. Jeff

3. Frank C

Frank C Well-Known Member

4. Outdoors Junkie

Thanks I haven't picked up a Cynergy and sot it but a few guys at our club shoot the Golden Clay and I have looked them over and they are real nice guns. Do the XT's shoot high? Or should I try to get the adj stock?

5. Rastoff

Rastoff Active Member

The XT is a great gun. The Golden Clays version is exactly the same gun with a recoil reducer and fancy engraving.

You should get a gun with an adjustable comb, but not the XT. Buy the non-adjustable XT and have either Graco or Tron put a comb on it for you. You'll spend the same as an adjustable XT and get a much better comb.

6. porky

porky TS Member

Buy one in the style that you like. Get a knowledgeable person to fit you in the gun. (Brownings make their guns so that an average person won't have to change much to have the gun fit them.)

7. Outdoors Junkie

Thanks it looks like I will be going with the XT in a 32 inch barrel vs a 30 inch barrel. I like the looks of the golden clay but I hate to pay 1500 more for just good looks.

James

8. Desert Hiker

Desert Hiker Member

James
    I have both the XT and the Cynergy trap guns, luv them both and their prices are similar...If I were to choose only one, I think it would be the old reliable XT either the 30 or 32" BBL's.
    Ron

9. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Rastoff--Good point. Unfortunately Beretta Factory comb hardware is junk too. Greg Hissem did my 682 hardware and it is Worlds better than the plastic factory crap. We learned the hard way when i bought a new BT99 with factory hardware. It would never stay put and felt loose even when it was supposed to be tight.

Matt

10. Spanky

Spanky Active Member

Before you lay out any cash, I bet some of the guys at the club will let you shoot their guns a bit so you get a good feel for what is going on. Just be honest and decent with them and you'll get some priceless help.

11. dcb_wvu

dcb_wvu Member

I bought my used Krieghoff O/U with Briley tubes for the price of a Browning. Look around, after owning the Krieghoff for a year, it is a great piece. Ask around, they are out there.

12. OGC Director

OGC Director TS Member

Look for a nice 682x. They are hard to beat for the money.

Rich in Indiana

13. Outdoors Junkie

Thanks for the information I had a Beretta 686 essential with a 26 inch barrel I used for bird hunting. How does the 682 shoot compared to the 686. I am looking at a lot of guns but Browning is my price range. Back in the late 70,s early 80's I used to shoot games and always liked the Browning Citori and BT99. I am looking to get back into shooting. I have a Perazzi TM1 with a 32in barrel it is the older one with the striped receiver in real good shape it has an adjustable comb, butt plate on it and kick ez pad. I am selling it for $1700.00. I just can't seem to get it to fit me well.I would like to shoot doubles is why I am looking for an O/U and really can't afford a combo. James

14. AEP

AEP Member

I own both the Cynergy and Citori. I like the Cynergy better. I have the combo Cynergy.

The Cynergy gets a bad rap. I can't figure why but it does. I have owned mine for 2+ years and really like it. The triggers suck, but that is the same for all new Brownings thanks to their legal department.

A simple trigger job and I was happy.

Good luck in your search,

Andy

15. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

Be real careful about getting a 32" vs 30" barrels. I got a gun with 32" barrels & had to change to 30", I found out the added weight was enough to case a slight dip when I was moving for my second shot in doubles. There are lots of XT's out there & Beretta 682's---make sure both barrels shoot to the same point.

Good luck--Phil Berkowitz

16. John 53

John 53 Member

What Spanky said!

You should shoot a LOT of guns, and find what works best for you. Then buy. That way, you don't waste a lot of money trying to find what fits your style of shooting.
    John

17. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Nothing better than the pointability of the MX8 or the older Comp. 1 OU. Used ones range from $3 - $3.5 grand.

18. XXPowder

XXPowder Member

S K B

still the best for the money.................

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.