1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

What O/U for under $1000

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Old 870, Feb 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Old 870

Old 870 TS Member

What is a good O/U for $1000 or less for sporting clays. I have tried the autos and both the 391 and the 1100 failed to cycle reliably in cold weather so O/U it is. I know the Citori can be found close to that price range but what else should I consider.

Thanks Brian

2. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Hitting the target. And tuning the 1100 so it fuctions. HMB

3. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

Brian: My son just purchased a Beretta Black Onyx sporting clays gun, (30" barrels w/mobil tubes); for $900. It is in very nice shape. They are out there. You just have to look around. Indiana Gun Club, Gunbroker.com, GunsAmerica etc. are good places to find something. Surfing the internet sites can sometimes pay off. Good Luck. Ed

4. Old 870

Old 870 TS Member

What about the Franchi Alcione?

As for the autos, the 391 only jammed once. The 1100 would not cycle light loads after about fifty rounds so I had to switch to 3 dram loads, then it worked fine. They were spotless when I took them out.

5. esoxhunter

Brian: Just my opinion and nothing more. My advice is to look for a good used Beretta or Citori. They can be found within your budget. I would prefer a used Beretta or Citori over a new Franchi. Also, they will hold their value and parts are readily available. Ed

6. AAtrap

AAtrap Well-Known Member

Brian, there are some good Charles Daly(Mirokus) out there. Many under a thousand. Steve

7. Old 870

Old 870 TS Member

I was just looking at the Beretta Onyx guns, very nice. I will have to check these out. Maybe I'll make a trip to Indiana gun club sometime next month.

8. esoxhunter

Brian: You can't go wrong dealing with the Indiana Gun Club. Steve Smith is an honest individual and a pleasure to do business with. Ed

9. RunGunIPSC

RunGunIPSC TS Member

Look for a nice Belgian Superposed. I picked one up a few monthes ago for $1100. 12 gauge,it has 100% blue,no rust,perfect checkering,no metal wear on the bearing surfaces. It is a 28" IC & Mod. The only flaw is some small dinks in the wood from being carried. These guns at that price are commonly available. Check Cabela's or some of the adds in Gun List,T&F,Skeet Shooting Review or on line. These guns are priced well below what their quality level really is. I own 4,2 12's & 2 20's. I sure would not hesitate to buy another if the pice is right

10. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

look and ask around, I have seen a few GTIs for less than 1000.00 would make a good clays gun i think.

11. mirage1

mirage1 Member

Maclellan if you see a Browning GTI Red around let me know.
    Joe

12. mirage1

mirage1 Member

Maclellan if you see a Browning GTI Red around let me know.
    Joe

13. Mike Battista

Mike Battista Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

We have a Browning Lightning Sporting Clays Edition at the Silver Dollar. 30" barrels with eight Briley chokes. Some dings in wood. $1150.00 Photo on web site.
    Mike Battista
    727 410 5212

14. Paladin

Paladin Well-Known Member

Eight Briley chokes at $60.00 each equals $480.00 worth of chokes alone. The package sounds like a very good deal.

15. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

I shoot with a fellow who has bought Winchester Select O/U's for his two teenage daughter, and one for himself. Having shot them, they are TREMENDOUS clay target guns!!!!

They are horribly undervalued and under rated. My primary tournament gun is a high grade K-80, but I promise you will love the Select. They are made very well, point and shoot like a house on fire. They have little recoil. Darndest gun I have shot in a while. I don't know how they did it for the money.

16. ke4yyd

ke4yyd Member

Some outstanding buys on the Winchesters at CDNN.

17. ArmyMechanic

ArmyMechanic Member

Look around for Remington 3200's also, very reliable, and a good gun. I picked up both of mine for under 1,000 a piece. havent been disappointed in the guns at all.

HT

18. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

This is the only GTI I have seen recently.

19. Old 870

Old 870 TS Member

Well I think my best bet is to go to Indiana Gun Club and spend the day shooting. I may spend a little more but the Beretta, Browning, and Winchester are three good prospects. It may take me a while to figure out the differences between all of the Brownings. GTI,325,425,525,625,Special Sporting,Ultra XS,Lightning, and many more. I'm starting to forget all the different models. It may be a long day in Indiana. But thank you all for your suggestions.

Just shoot, Brian

20. lets C 1

lets C 1 TS Member

Take a look @ Highgrade www.highgradeshooters.com
    Very nice Winchester Select Trap. Look under guns tab, click used, select Trap.
    Great people to deal with!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.