1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

What O/U for hunting?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by BLKLABS, Aug 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BLKLABS

BLKLABS TS Member

Will be purchasing a new o/u for hunting. Just looking for some suggestions. Looking at 12 GA. with 28" barrels. I do like the Browning Citori but there are so many variations that I'm not sure what be best for a hunting shotgun. Will use the gun mostly for upland hunting, but will do a little duck hunting with 3" shells as well. Thanks

2. bigdogtx

bigdogtx Well-Known Member

Had an old Citori years ago. I now use a Beretta 686 Silver Pigeon. I like this one as you open the breach the safety goes back on. Not good for trap, but for hunting when the action is fast and furious, could save a dog or hunting partner.

Now on the other hand, for a flat shooting O/U for hunting, you might look at some of the cheaper ones as well. If you are going into the duck blind, you won't feel as bad when you get a nick or drop it in the muck. I have also used SKB/Weatherby and Merkel. These were borrowed from others and were ok but I couldn't his as well with these.

If you stay with the Browning or Beretta, I would lean to used. If you are doing a lot of walking, look at the upland special from Browning, for a little less weight. (I think)

3. Loyac

Loyac Member

It's hard to beat a Beretta 686 field gun. John

4. Kevin525

Kevin525 TS Member

I got the Browning 525's in a 20 and 12 field models. They piont really nice and the weight is not that bad. I hunt waterfowl and upland birds with no problems.

5. JonP

JonP Member

I have a new in the box (NIB) unfired Citori Lighting Satin Field with 28" barrels and Invector Plus chokes, 3 1/2 " chambered. $1250 plus shipping.

(I bought another O/U bird gun I after I bought this Citori - probably selling the wrong one, Oh well)

Jon P.

6. JonP

JonP Member

Sorry,

Forgot the email address in my post - drop the "xx's" above for more info on the Citori Lightning.

Jon P.

7. M R Ducks

M R Ducks Member

No O/U's allowed in our blinds and boats. They really get in the way. I'd recommend a 391 parallel target for anything that flies. 10 gage nice for geese - I use an SP-10 on occasion, but never really felt under-gunned with 3 inch or 3.5 inch BBB in a 12.

8. BLKLABS

BLKLABS TS Member

I wouldnt take a O/U in a pit. I appreciate all the info and I guess I will take a look at the Beretta's next time I get a chance. This is just a want, not a need. I already have a Benelli SBE for busting geese. And several other shotguns for baggin upland game. Thanks guys

9. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Can you elaborate a bit more on the unsuitability of O/U's in pits and boats? I've never heard that before.

10. M R Ducks

M R Ducks Member

Sure - O/U's in a pit or boat take up "space." What I mean is that the act of ejecting/loading shells requires extra room for the shooter. While we with semis can jam rounds into a magazine with the gun essentially in the shooting position and not interfere with the guy next to us, a guy with an O/U has a hard time doing so and not getting in the way of his neighbor. He has to typically get his entire gun back into the pit, reload, and then get his entire gun back up and pointed outside. Semis can keep the barrel out and just feed ammo. Also, if the O/U does not have an automatic safety, you have a loaded, unsafed gun being thrown around tight quarters in the heat of a shoot - NOT a good combination. Again the fact that the semi barrel is already pointed in a safe direction helps mitigate the risk of injury due to an unintended firing.

Same holds true for a boat - especially one with a blind.

Hope this helps.

Joe

11. BLKLABS

BLKLABS TS Member

The local club here has a rule that all loading must be done with the barrels pointed up and out of the pit. I think it would be a little difficult to load a o/u upside down. With that said, I still think it would be fun to bust some fast flying ducks with a good handling o/u.

12. M R Ducks

M R Ducks Member

BLKLAB - there are lots of opportunities to do what you want, just not in a pit. The best duck shooting I have is on a small creek where we just spread out long the bank with some decoys and use natural cover. We might not always shoot a limit, but we have about an hour of fast and furious pass and toll shooting. I can see an O/U being fun in that situation and have wanted to do it myself. Only thing that has really kept me from it is not wanting to give up that third shot. I haven't had many triples, but I've had enough that I like that third shell, and it has been a saving shot on many doubles.

I think you would find yourself cursing an O/U in a pit after the first flight of birds. JMHO.

Joe

13. woodski

woodski Member

I just purchased a used Citori lightning 12ga, 28 in w/choke tubes that I am going to be using for Pheasants this season and I think it's just the ticket. It's light enough and will shoot 3 in shells. 1st year hunting with my choc. pointing lab this year too. It doesn't get much better, new gun and a new dog. Alls good :)

14. acre44

acre44 Member

I use my Silver Seitz.

Toad.

15. ramorton

ramorton TS Supporters TS Supporters

There are a lot of used Browning Lighting's out there. I set mine up with 30" b
    arrels and a counter-coil, works great for Quail, Dove and about anything else. We hunt Whie Wing Dove in South Texas and tight chokes work very good for them since they fly very high. However, I did open the chokes up to 20 and 32 for that reason. My barrel I.D's are .722 on this gun. Hope this helps, Roy

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.