1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

What Mods First on a New Gun?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by RichinPeoria, Aug 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RichinPeoria

RichinPeoria TS Member

Good morning everyone

What should I do/do first/what order to fit a new 1100 Classic Trap to me?

I shoot "head up" style and an 1100 CT does not have much rib height. I have a hard time getting comfortable with the rib/comb/pad as is out of the box. Where should I start?

1) Shoot the gun as is for a few months/year?

2) Buy a new Hastings high rib barrel first?

3) Have the adj pad and comb done first?

4) Have Money Maker put a 1" rib on the new 1100 CT barrel

5) Buy an old 30" full barrel and have Money Maker put a 1" rib on it and save the new CT barrel (sell, keep ??)

Buying a good used field 1100 and adding a MM rib or Hastings barrel and stock is actually about the same price as mod-ing a new CT so I dont think this is the route I want to go. I dont really want to start with a used 1100 Trap with an unknown number of rounds thru it.

Any opinions or experiences would be appreciated

Thanks in advance

Rich

2. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

I wouldn't put the cart in front of the horse. You should go to a fitter and hear what he has to say, before you go blowing a wad of cash on stuff you don't need.

3. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

See if the gun fits you, an 1100 is a "fits all" gun, the slim stock & grip is designed to fit the majority of shooters. Fit first. Pattern second. Trigger third.

Lou

4. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

Tron is right and he does great work on stocks. Realize that if you get a high rib you will have to build up the comb. You can start by building up the comb with moleskin or an inexpensive padded comb and see how the gun shoots.

5. R.Kipling

R.Kipling Well-Known Member

Rich,

I shoot 1100's, and I have to agree with Tron about not spending a lot of cash, yet. If as you say, you like to shoot "head-up", then I suggest that you start with an adjustable butt plate and pad. If the gun shoots where you look, you may not need an adjustable comb, yet. If the POI is 70/30 or better, an adjustable comb can be added when you get past the 24-25 yd line, or so...

The 1100 is a fine gun, and the less you have to do to it, the better off you are.

IMHO,
    Kip

6. claybrdr

claybrdr Well-Known Member

Immediately modify the stock with some sort of ugly adjustable comb/recoil reducing device so you can get hosed when you try to sell it.

7. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member

Have you actually shot the gun yet?! Don't do anything until you've shot the gun and do a POI test with a dozen shells to give you a baseline from which to assess.

Respectfully offered,

Jay

8. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

First, why did you buy a gun that did not fit your style and need all the modifications your considering??

Anyway if your sure its the gun for you then go pattern it to make sure it shoots straight left to right. Height can be adjusted later provided its not extremely low POI.

If the above is accepatable then get the gun fitted to you by someone with knowledge. Only then would I consider the barrel options or stock mods if neccessary to fit your style.

Whatever you do don't shoot the gun if it doesn't have the correct POI and also fit. Your learn alot of bad habits quickly...

9. RichinPeoria

RichinPeoria TS Member

Thanks for the advice so far.

Unfortunately when I shoulder the gun I have to twist it to line up the beads, the comb is above my cheek bone when Im looking down the rib, (flat) and I have to push the stock against my face to, again, get the beads to line up.

In my humble assessment

1)Add a higher rib
    -This would lower the comb off of my cheek bone and put the pad lower on my shoulder

2)move the comb over and keep it low
    -I would not have to push the stock against my face to site down the rib and it would keep my cheek bone above the comb

3) rotate and lower the pad.
    -This would allow me to mount the gun in my shoulder pocket that is not vetrtical and is low due to my long(er) neck.

Rich

10. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

Rich, seriously you need to have someone of understanding actually view you. Many can offer advice or suggestions but it may or may not help. You don't want to start out with bad memories of new gun. A professional fitter is worth the time and money. Make the commitment.

11. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

http://www.gunsolutions.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=21 Heres a few items that help mr figure out a few things before spending $$$$ on a gun or gadgets. I started shooting with a 870 exspress 28" ribbed front sight only modified choke field gun. Right away I felt crunched up when shooting several shots. The wrapid comb is a very cheap way to find out if you like a high comb. I then found some very straight metal stock at a hobby store. glued on my own raised rib. I found no advantage to this? being a field gun I tackled my next step which was lowering the recoil pad to increase drop at heal. I did this all before I had a digital camera. What I ended up with is a gun on the cheap which busted targets for me. It was not pretty but worked and I was into the mods for less than 60.00. I later built up the stock with fiberglass and painted flat black with textured paint around the grip area. I sold that stock at a shoot for cash and a field grade stock. This is my hunting gun after all. I then TRIED Every gun I could get my hands on and as often as possible. THe XTs always came to my cheak and shoulder nice. I then ended up with a PFS. I never got used to shooting a auto for trap. So trying different things on the cheap can really help you figure thingds out. You Have time and access to a great Fitter the more power to you DO IT.

12. RichinPeoria

RichinPeoria TS Member

I have picked up and put to my shoulder many trap/other guns both very expensive and inexpensive. The 1100 seems to meet my requirements the best. I shot in the 20s with my Ithaca Model 51 trap with a high comb and no mods up until a few weeks ago. It has problems and I dont want to throw good money after bad or I would just keep shoting it. I started shooting trap in May '08.

My right shoulder is still aching since the last time I shot 4-5 rounds a few weeks ago. I had a badly broken colar bone a few years ago that seems to get agrivated by the ill-fit and position I had to use for the 51 when shooting trap. I dont think I will be buying anything except the softest shooting auto.

As far as "gun fitting" goes or "fitting" for that matter in general I like to do my homework and understand "what" and "why". I just went thru this in another sport and I could understand what he was saying and why we were making the adjustments.

Rich

13. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Shoot with the gun canted. Rotate the gun 5 or 10 degrees to he left and shoot it. If you break the targets and it does not hurt you when you shoot it, you will be good to go. HMB

14. missemucho

missemucho Member

I went thru the same thing when I bought my used 1100 trap. I shoot with a heads up style as well. To make the gun shoot where I was looking and to make the gun fit me correctly I sent it to Graco and had them put on an adjustable butt plate which adjusts for length, turns and raises and lowers plus an adjustable comb. The comb allows you to move the comb laterally as well as up/down to adjust to the contour of your face. With these modifications the gun can be made to fit almost anyone.

I did the same thing when I bought my XT; these changes seem to be a cost of doing business if I want to shoot trap halfway decently.

I'm not putting down a gunfitter, but it's highly likely that what he tells you will lead you to make these changes anyway, and if they're already on your gun you will be able to get sorted out faster. If you decide to go this route, everyone on here says good things about Tron's work, and he'd probably be faster than Graco, which was around a month both times.
    John

15. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

Rich, if your dead set on fitting the gun to yourself then your going to need an adjustable comb and adjustable butt plate to get your stock customized to you. Have you patterened the gun at all?

16. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

for me it usually involves bending the barrel about 30 degrees due North

17. shot410ga

shot410ga Banned User Banned

First mod: 4-way adjustable comb.

18. Mr Newbius©

Mr Newbius© TS Member

Have you tried a Sporting 1100 with a 30" barrel? Same dang gun but not the monte carlo comb. Throw that into your shoulder with your eyes closed and see if it looks alright.

Best thing to do though since your already convinced your going to need a bunch of stock work and barrel work to make it work is just purchase an 1100 of any type with a 30" barrel and make an appointment with a stock fitter/maker and get a custom one made just for you to your exact fit and be done with it.

BTW ... how deep is your wallet? You may find that to get what you desire your wallet is far to shallow.

19. RichinPeoria

RichinPeoria TS Member

Excel spread sheets are a beautiful thing.

A new 1100 Classic Trap with Graco installed adjustable butt plate and comb plus a new Hastings high rib 30" trap barrel will run about $1587.00

Rich

20. RichinPeoria

RichinPeoria TS Member

Ive tried as many combinations of parts and options as I can think of and this seems to be the best bet for getting what I need.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.