1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

What Microwave Oven To Buy?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by DoubleAuto, Jun 6, 2013.

1. DoubleAuto

DoubleAuto Well-Known Member

Our Amana Radarange just bit the dust after 6 and a half years. What is a good brand and/or model you would recommend?

Any help is appreciated.

DoubleAuto

2. Rick in Ohio

Rick in Ohio Member

Not to tell you what to buy but I would go with a LG model if I was in the market for one.

3. Robb

Robb Member

Our new GE convection is real nice.

4. DoubleAuto

Thanks guys. Please keep the recommendations coming.

5. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

Samsungs are dang hard to beat for the money..same for LG...

6. Two Dogs

Two Dogs Well-Known Member

Buy the $98.00 one from Walmart, they all have the same warranty and all will only last for around 7 years ...tops...Nothing is made here anymore..

7. Straight99

Straight99 Member

GE is very anti-gun. I stay away from them as far as I can.

8. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

We have GE mounted above our stove. It was manufactured in Dec of '94 and installed Aug of '95. We have never had an issue with it. It is still nuking food like it did when new.
    grntitan_2009_2503119.jpg

9. Shootrman

Shootrman Member

If you were pleased with the one that bit the dirt, repair it. Easiest thing in the world to fix. Take the back off of it & look at the electronics. Look for the choke or diode. Usually a square looking piece of plastic maybe inch to two inches long with a bare wire on each end. Get the numbers off of it and get one from an appliance store ($7.00-$25.00). Be sure you put it in the right way, power only travels in one direction

10. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

My Amana Radarange was a built in and lasted only 25 years.

Called the appliance guy and he laughed at me. He said that microwaves are considered "disposable" and only repaired if still under warranty.

Parts plus labor is higher than new price on these things!

I wound up with a Magic Chef at $139 ... because it was the only one that I could find to fit in that space ... very happy with it.

11. DoubleAuto

I took the Amana into a reputable repair company. As said, it is 6.5 years old. Door latch mechanism fell apart/broke. The company checked and said the latch assembly needed is no longer available. Said that when Whirlpool bought Maytag which owned Amana that Whirlpool got rid of a lot of the prepurchase parts for Whirlpool (Amana) products after five years. Prior to this Radarange my father had one of the orginal ones. It was over 25 years old when we disbanded his home in 1999 and it was still running. As they say, "they literally don't make them like they used to". And with the continual change in owners of brand names in many cases you can't count on the quality of a brand in the past.

12. tgs1420@gmail.com

tgs1420@gmail.com Member

really microwaves !

13. j2jake

j2jake Well-Known Member

Have a Kenmore that was purchased in 1978 or 79, a fuse blew about 10 years ago, bought one at Home Depot and she is still going strong. It's big enough for a 20 lb Turkey. Have'nt seen one that big for a while. Jake

14. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

OUr JC Penney (Panasonic) Micro/convection is still going strong after 29 years...

15. BT-100dc

BT-100dc Active Member

I bought a Kenmore and installed it over the stove (under the cabinet). That sure the hell beats a large microwave sitting on the counter. My wife really likes it and after 36 years of marriage, every attaboy helps. BT100dc