1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

What makes one choke tube better than another ?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by ipscmaster, Nov 17, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ipscmaster

ipscmaster Member

This company say's their choke is better than everyone else's. That company say's their's is better. What really makes one choke better than another. There has to be a science behind it, and what is it ? I would like the Real Answer..... Not just conjecture.....
    ipscmaster

2. Martinpicker

Martinpicker Active Member

Pattern and performance. Brand and ad claims mean nothing! I have a Briley EF choke tube that throws the most perfect pattern I have ever seen! Martinpicker

3. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

If they're well made, there's not that much difference between one choke and another. All the hype about holes and slots and parallel sections is just that. Hype.

There's no conclusive proof that extended chokes perform better than flush, or ports, slots, or "wad slower-downers" do what they claim to do.

For those who are convinced the long parallel section is important, perhaps you can explain how the excellent Teague chokes works so well when they have no parallel section at all?

4. jim brown

jim brown Well-Known Member

The more you pay the better you will think the tube is. After all you are surely smart enough not to pay extra for something that doesn't work better.

jim brown

5. acss

acss Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

good question-- i hope neil winston reads this thread!!

6. ipscmaster

ipscmaster Member

I am not asking Who's is better... I am asking "WHY" they are better. Everyone say's OUR'S are the best.. But Why ????? ipscmaster

7. Sky Buster

Sky Buster Sky Buster TS Supporters

I believe Briley been at it longer than anyone.

8. Johnny

Johnny Well-Known Member

ipscmaster , There is no real difference.

9. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

I know that Browning rates their choke tubes by the pattern % in a 30" circle while everyone else rates their choke tubes by constriction. I own a Browning choke tube that is Improved Modified according to its marking but only measures .020 constriction. This choke tube works fine in the field and great with steel shot. I believe that choke tubes with the same constriction have similar patterns. My Perazzi choke tubes for the TMX produce excellent patterns but so do the Briley chokes that I have for the MX-3 single barrel.

10. JLYON

JLYON Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

buy the choke's you like go and pattern them keep the one that patterns the best in your gun sell the rest on TS and when you do this try several kinds of ammo

11. Avaldes

Avaldes Well-Known Member

I would suspect that the tighter tolerances of some brands might ensure that each choke is concentric and has the same constriction as what is marked on the box. The profile of the choke constriction might be important? Sorry, no facts here.

I had some Brileys that shot tighter and more consistently than comparably marked Beretta tubes. The chokes on my MX10 topsingle are factory Perazzi's and the #8 seems to throw what I would consider a full, but I haven't had it out of the gun, nor have I patterned it, so take that comment with a grain of salt:)

12. Oregunner

Oregunner Well-Known Member

A bore mic can give good useful information. Don't assume. Mark

13. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

There is more to the equation than just the choke tube. The internal dimensions of the barrel also play a part. That being said, the amount of constriction and the amount of parallel surface in the choke tube has to be in the proper ratio for the best performance. HMB

14. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

The parallel section of the tube should be long enough to contain the shot charge. I assume this is why Browning, after a few years, changed from the short Invectors to the longer Invector Plus.

Some time back (correction - long ago) there were a series of articles in Shotgun Sports Magazine with an individual researching this very subject.

The findings were to use a parallel section as stated above, and a 1 & 1/2 degree taper going into the choke. This was after making and heat treating an enormous number of tubes, and testing them all.

It goes without saying that the entry into the tube has to be slightly larger than bore size to prevent snagging and pressure build up.

Until someone comes up with a better mousetrap these are the parameters I accept.

HM

15. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I am no expert but I do know there is a difference in tubes. I had a beretta that shot the best patterns with the factory mobil chokes. I tried browning midas, and about 5 others including wrights. Now my 90T has Briley thin walls and I am sold on Briley. The full tube throws 93 % pattern

16. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

It's all about which ones look the coolest.

17. Cooter

Cooter Member

Frank Little used to say the differance between the best choke and the worst choke is about one target in 200.

18. slayer

slayer Well-Known Member

The long ones with holes and colored rings make you a much better shooter. I'm sure of it. Bill

19. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

Your mind! If you miss, you would have missed with all the other tubes as well.

20. claybrdr

claybrdr Well-Known Member

A great marketing department.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.