1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

What makes Handicap Scores Lower than Singles?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by biff, Jul 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. biff

biff Active Member

I know distance is a factor, but what are the things which makes such a difference between singles and caps in an individuals scores? Biff

2. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

Number of h'cap targets shot-vs-singles. People want high scores so they shoot singles more.

Eric

3. phirel

phirel TS Member

Distance is the critical factor. I can, and frequently do get away with minor mistakes when shooting singles. The same mistake from the 27 will result in a miss. A shot that results in a chip or a weak hit from the 16 will be a miss from the 27.

Pat Ireland

4. jeffprigge

jeffprigge Active Member

i swear they use smaller targets when shooting from 27 than the ones they use at 16

5. capvan

capvan Active Member

They use those new aluminum targets as well...

6. trapshootin hippie

trapshootin hippie Well-Known Member

I might be wrong, but in my limited experience, I have found that the reason the handicap scores are lower than singles scores is because the shooter generally misses more from the handicap distance. Justa thought.

Gne J

7. biff

biff Active Member

Pat, can you expound a little more on the distance factor please; things like effects of trajectory, pattern, deacceleration of shot speed, depth perception where the distance of shooter to target begins to matter. I'm sure there are other factors I have not thought about that plays a key role in the wide variance of scores from these two events. This is especially true when thinking about the $100,000 prize possible at this year's Grand.

It appears not to be a factor of difficulty for Leo, Harlan, Kaye,Ray,Munson and others as they seem to break handicap targets as easily as they do singles. They seem to have worked out what it takes for Handicap, especially after being on the 27 yard line for so many years. I feel there has to be some kind of connection or factor if found and worked on, you Handicap scores could be almost as high as your Singles score. Biff

8. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

I would like to know why when I'm on Post 1 I get mostly hard left angle targets and on Post 5 I get mostly hard right angle targets ??

9. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

The lack, or mastery of the fundamentals. Simple as that.

That's the beauty of it all, and the dicodomy.

Guy B.

10. phirel

phirel TS Member

Biff- The pattern is the key. In singles you may smoke 90 birds, chip 6 birds and just miss 4 of them for a score of 96. If you pointed the gun exactly the same way from the 27 yard line on the 100 birds as you did in singles, your score would probably be 89-90.

If you look at 40 yard patterns, it becomes clear that a bird can slip through the very center of the pattern without getting hit by a single shot. To break 100 from the 27, one must shoot very precisely and also get lucky on one or two birds.

Precision is also more difficult as you move back. With a rifle, a quarter inch error at 25 yards becomes a 1 inch error at 100 yards.

Pat Ireland

11. Grizzly

Grizzly TS Member

Duuuuuuhhhhhhhh.......Who is on first, What is on second, and I Don't Know is on third..Distance is the only reason handicap scores are lower. Gee whiz, stand at the 16 yard line and see how big the targets look, then step back to the 27,,,do ya see it? That baby aspirin that just flew out of the house, did ya see it?

Common sense question..

My .02 cents worth

Grizzly

12. biff

biff Active Member

Pat, thanks for the only sensible answer so far! Trapshooting really isn't a thinking man's game,to some it's "See the target, Shoot the target". I feel I shoot singles target fairly well, but handicap targets elude me

Here's what I have done so far and plan to do before I take my sorry handicap shooting to the Grand. I have gone to a 2 3/4 dram shell same as I shoot on singles to reduce the felt recoil of the AA Silver Bullets. Sometimes they crush the targets and other times they don't using a .020" choke tube from the 26.5 yd line; I plan to tighten up to a .025" tube. Next I plan to lock the trap on straightaways and start adjusting the comb till I can center the targets using some 7 1/2 shot.

Grizzly, thanks for the compliment; I've always been a fan of yours ever since I started shooting. It's great when an old time shooter reaches down to a younger shooter with some wisdom bought and paid for with years of great shooting! Biff

13. Grizzly

Grizzly TS Member

You are so very welcome Biff. I hope you are having a great shooting year. Hang in there and hopefully you will be in that big shoot-off that everyone is talking about....

Cya there,,,,Grizzly

14. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Precise pointing ability mixed with distance and severity of the angle makes for tougher shooting at "trap" longer distances. Like Grizzly says, psychedelic aspirins continue gettin tougher the farther away you happen to be.

Some full choke shotguns do run out of pattern efficiency at at 40 yards and some absolutely don't! The ability to precisely point out 100 correctly fails more shooters than does the pattern. Misreading an angle by a mere 6 inches throws off your bird breaking pattern by 12 inches at least, huge mistake!!

Hap

15. Avaldes

Avaldes Well-Known Member

Pat pretty well nailed it, along with others:

1.) The patterns are not as tight at that distance
    2.) Angular pointing errors with the gun add up because of the distance
    3.) Since the bird is farther away, it is harder to identify the exact trajectory, which combines with number 2 above.

16. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Pretty simple Biff, the margin for error diminishes to near zero when you are firing at a 50(+) yard target. No different than long range rifle shooting in that respect. Phil Kiner calls handicap trap 'precision shooting'. Being fallable humans we are not always capable of precision and our scores show it.

17. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Haven't you ever noticed what happens between Singles and Handicap?

Instead of running to grab some lunch ... just watch what happens. The trap kids are in the house removing those big, bright fragile birds and replacing then with small dull extremely hard birds!

18. TNCoach

TNCoach Member

Biff,

Come on down to Nashville for some good old fashion practice and after a flat or two your cap scores will amazingly go up!

You don't get better at caps shooting singles targets...Great Fundamentals & PRACTICE

My 2 Cents,
    TNCoach

19. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

How come it's easy to drop a wad of paper into a trash can when your standing over it?

Move it across the room and it gets harder?

Vas is das?

20. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

It has something to do with the bending of time by space, gray matter ect...

Einstien covers it all in his book "The fear of Relatives".

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.