1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

What makes for a good trigger on a Trap gun ?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by tattooman, May 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tattooman

tattooman TS Member

So, I know what is a good pistol trigger, and a good revolver trigger, but these days I'm shooting trap, and having a real great time with it. I just bought a BT99 and loving it. But, I notice the trigger is not as nice as the one on my customized pistol. So, what should be done to the trigger on my BT99 ? It has some creep, not bad, but it's there, and I can't imagine it's not affecting my timing. Overtravel is apparent, but I don't know if that's important in a trap gun. Last, I'm guessing reset is important for a doubles trap gun, I dunno. Any education and/or advice appreciated, along with some recommendations about who is a known quantity in doing this kind of work work. I'm a new trap shooter. Been shooting trap regularly about a year plus, and having a blast. Still working on fundamentals of course.

2. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

For doubles a Remington 3200 has a very fast mechanical trigger. The mechanical trigger resets for the second shot every time. For the BT 99 you will have to find someone who knows how to fine tune the sear and hammer notch inorder to get rid of the creep. HMB

3. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Don't make a big issue out of the trigger. Too light is not good. Leave it stock and watch the target.

4. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

right around 4 lbs & no creep

5. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

The trigger is one of the most important parts of the game. HMB

6. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

Just like pistol or rifle competition, a truly clean trigger will make alot of difference for you in trap. More so if your a puller, less if your a slapper. Call Phil Crenwelge and he will turn that BT trigger into a jewel. His nuumber is 210-313-5988.

7. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

Just like pistol or rifle competition, a truly clean trigger will make alot of difference for you in trap. More so if your a puller, less if your a slapper. Call Phil Crenwelge and he will turn that BT trigger into a jewel. His nuumber is 210-313-5988.

8. Shawn

Shawn Member

Tattooman
    Good to hear you are enjoying Trap. The BT 99 has broken lots of 100's if you like it and it fits it will take you a long way.
    Having Phil go thru your trigger is a good idea, He will make it crisp and consistent.

Shoot well

Shawn

9. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

You might contact doug braker also.

10. EEB

EEB Member

A good trigger makes the gun go "bang" every time.

11. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Rifle and pistol shooters deal with groups within fractions of an inch and demand good trigger pulls for consistency! Shotgunning and especially trapshooting also deals with pointing accuracy within inches instead of feet measurements as most assume! Yes, you can become very familiar with a harder pulling trigger if it's crisp with no creep. The trick is; you want any firearm to go bang when the eyes/mind says it's time to go with the shot. How you make that determination,"when the time is correct" applies to any firearm, including a shotgun. The shotgun is a very forgiving tool but it won't allow too much recklessness on determining when the time is right either! Trap is after all a game of inches instead of feet. Trigger pulls or release weights are important and the better shooters know this and act/shoot accordingly. Lots of trap shooters wouldn't know a good pull trigger from a bad one, or a good release trigger from a bad one of those either. This is but a few of the primary reasons it takes many thousands of targets to shoot decent scores for most. What's too light for some may be ideal for others. Saying a certain weight is cast in stone is ignorance of realities when dealing in inches of accuracy.

Hap

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.