1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

What makes a great trapclub?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by hrosik123, Aug 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hrosik123

hrosik123 Member

I'm a newly appointed member of the board of directors at my club. My question to all the shooters out there is what keeps you coming back to a club to shoot? Interested in all output, I'm more concerned with what will bring shooters past their local club to come to mine. Not everyday, just for good shoots. When you see a shoot advertised, what are the criteria that assures you will go. I thank you for your input in advance. Good luck Chuck Hrosik

2. hrosik123

hrosik123 Member

Thanks DB. Appreciate the input. I have to agree targets are #1. Looking forward to some good responses. Good luck Chuck Hrosik

3. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

Bill has it down about right .

You must start on time . The guys I talk to just don,t go to some clubs because of not starting on time . Food must be good at a fair price .

Squading needs to be fair to all and the targets shootable .

And the top in my book A CLUB NEEDS TO BE FRIENDLY . The shooters are your Customers no Customers no CLUB .

4. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Beer can holders on each station!

Curt

P.S. Just kidding!

5. KRE

KRE TS Member

Do your home work on the first days of the Silver Dollar an Bill Jacobson. There were many Trap clubs within 30 min of home, but many of us drove an hour an some 2-3 hrs one way to shoot the Dollar, even on weekdays while playing hooky from work.(LOL) When Bill sold the place, is when some of us moved on.

Sky-way Trap and Skeet in St. Pete Fl. did well back when as well, but when Norma Hilton started having problems, it went down hill as well.

Man that was a while back!

Kenneth

6. hrosik123

hrosik123 Member

Hey Curt, on an off note just got a dozen GHG pro-grade teals. Awsm looking decoys. I like the can holder idea. 20 years ago that would have been a hit. Good luck Chuck Hrosik

7. southjblue

southjblue Active Member

Great members and we have them at Pine Valley and Pine belt---Great food---clean restrooms---Great out of the sun places to sit---Good enough to sponsor the N.J. state shoot---Prices reasonable---$4.00 to pratcice---same price for products as club pays---Shoot every Tue & Wed- Wed night----Fri night Sat and every Sunday---Both clubs 20 mi a part and we have another club(SQ circle) within the same radious and same facilities---What more can you ask for---We love the sport and welcome all---25 mi from Atlantic city---come one come all---We will make you happy---You can get me at sjblues@comcast.net----sjb---

8. hrosik123

hrosik123 Member

KRE, I never shot at the Dollar. Please elaborate for me. My goal is to make my club the best in the area. When shoots are over I would like to nothing but positive posts on this site about it. Help me do that. When competition raises the bar the other clubs have to follow or get out of the way. Good luck Chuck Hrosik

9. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

GHG makes great decoys...we have a bunch (10 doz) of the full full body geese (flocked elites) and the field mallards for the late season birds.

I'll post some pic's when the season comes around....

Good luck with the directorship...lots of work, bad pay and enough whinning to last 2 lifetimes.

Oh, and plenty of cheap advice.

Curt

10. southjblue

southjblue Active Member

[​IMG]
    Chuck---here are a few I carved and didn't get away---The middle one is a Green Wing teal hen that I use to make sure none get away---Let me know if you want to try our luck---George

11. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

A good base of guys that really enjoy shooting. It's contagious.

12. Dougbbbb

Dougbbbb TS Supporters TS Supporters

Congratulations Chuck.. What club??

13. maka

maka Member

Make sure targets are set within hieght specs. Adjust for all wind conditions. Start on time as stated. Need good help which can be hard at times. Check with other clubs in area to insure you are charging the same. If you have a lewis shoot include all classes, (ladies and juniors). Try to pay out to all classes. Provide the best food at the lowest cost the club can afford. Treat everyone equally. Provide number system for squads that are shooting and announce next sqaud on deck. Make sure traps are properly maintianed. Insure that people maintaining are capable. No alchol unless shooter or sqaud is done for the day. Good luck.

14. lostandout

lostandout Member

pay out dont short the shooters

15. Big Al 29

Big Al 29 TS Member

Make all the shooters including the new shooters feel welcomed and thanked for shooting the club.

#1 thing.

16. Rich219

Rich219 Active Member

Things that cause me to go to certain shoots over others.

1. Club facilities: # of fields, brand of traps, etc.
    2. Club personnel, some clubs are much friendlier than others and you can quickly tell by the environment.
    3. Trophies/prizes: I'm much more likely to attend a shoot that offers trophies/prizes to winners vs. those that don't. For $20/100 I want a chance to get something for my money. I can shoot 100 no registered targets for $8 at a club I belong to.

17. James.c

James.c Member

START ON TIME!! was at the provincals and they started the first day so late that they had to hold one of the events that was scheduled for the first day until the second day!!

James.C

18. Pocatello

Pocatello Active Member

Great people running the club - they are the kind who make shooters feel that they are appreciated and the management is happy the shooters came. Fair prices and good targets.

19. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

2 traps and ATA shoots

20. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

What turns me away from clubs:<UL><LI>clubs that try to hold shoots without working out the planning and organization first<LI>poorly-arranged sign-up facilities that create big knots of people all milling around in one small congested space<LI>help that wants to "socialize" with friends during sign-up while the lines get longer<LI>scorekeepers who text their buddies or listen to Ipods while scoring<LI>help that's not where they belong when they belong there doing what they're supposed to be doing<LI>juggling the order of squads so that the "full" squads go out first and 3 or 4-man squads that SHOULD go first sit waiting<LI>no loudspeakers or bullhorns to announce squads<LI>lunch breaks<LI>untrained or poorly trained scorers<LI>no designated referees, and finally...<LI>the unwillingness on somebody's part to tell the herd of resident porch potatoes to "shut up and shoot" because the targets ARE set properly and that they should shoot them as are instead of holding things up by continually whining for resets</UL>

MK

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.